Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

getting closer - scared!!!!!

:nervous Well, its 4 days and counting. Wednesday 7/27/05 at 11:30am

Im looking for some encouragement!! This past week I have tried so hard to stay on the liquid diet but I have slipped so many times. I then begin to wonder if i can't do it now what will happen afterwards???

In every weight loss program i have tried before it always started out so great then i would end up somehow sabotaging myself and fail. i get so worried that ill screw this up too. and oh how i want this!!!!

ive been flipping around yet im still staying focused. not doing it is not an option. but i get crazy about the future. help me someone to get thru this!!!!

i have the greatest support, husband, kids, mother in law, friends but it still doesnt feel right. commiting myself to a complete life change is so scarry. am i crazy or what??

please some support to get thru the next few days will so help.

food now seems bigger than life, i feel like if i eat it going to be my last meal for the rest of my life. being italian the motto "food is love" has always been in me.

Now knowing the future, which realistically i know no one knows, seems so scarry.

Im letting go of what has become so familiar. So comfortable.

So im waiting for words of wisdom and encourgement from anyone who can related, whos been thru the vast amount of emotions.

Thank you so very much

Hi Micki,

I am still 2 weeks out before banding and I don't know if I will have to go on the liquid diet but I know it will be tough. Do the best you can to stick with it, remembering that it is only for a short time. Try and keep yourself busy.

I too worry about the big life change and I try to just think about it like this. Currently, without the band, I don't eat foods that for whatever reason don't set well with me and I don't miss them because I don't have the desire to eat them. While I know the foods that I eat vs. the foods that I don't eat will change but I am thinking it will be the same result. When I don't do well with them I won't enjoy eating them so I won't have the desire to eat them.

I also keep in mind that there aren't any foods that I can't eat, it will just be much smaller portions, but I will be satisfied with the smaller portion.

I know some of the experience bandsters will chime in here and give you some good support.

Best wishes on your upcoming big day.

Oh dear I know what you are saying. I am being banded July 29th. I have been doing the liquid diet since a week ago Friday. It is tough, but trust me we will get through it! It will be worth it in the end!

I know exactly what you mean - I'm being banded on Tuesday, July26th. I've been on the liquid diet for 5 days now. I feel so emotional! One minute I think I'll stay on Protein shakes for the first 6 weeks and lose a ton of weight (completely unrealistic) and the next minute I'm not sure if I can make it another 2 days. I'm tired, cranky, and what I really feel like doing is having a final binge. It's so comforting to eat, and it'll never be the same again.

I've kept going without cheating by trying to focus on one day at a time. A big incentive - I got on the scale today and I was down 6lbs. I know I shouldn't indulge my obsession with the scale, but it's keeping me on track. I'll probably gain it all back when they give me fluids during surgery, but for now it's exciting.

Good luck with the liquid diet and with your surgery. For all my complaining, time is passing quickly and the big day will be here before we know it!

Hi Everyone,

My surgery is on Tuesday, July 26th at 7:30am, I'm also nervous.

I didn't have to do liquids, but I was very observant of what I ate last week. Today I decided to eat only easily digestable foods and tomorrow is liquid only. I have to be in the hospital by 5am for prep. This website is terrific for everyone to share their thoughts and also give us their insight to the process. I wish you all a TON OF LUCK, I'm looking forward to wearing shorts next year (I hope) - I've been hiding in long pants since 1990.

Hello Micki,

Your messages sounds like I wrote it. I had the same worry as you. I was never satisfied unless I stuffed mysefl. I was obsessed with food. It controled me. All is different with the band. You get full on the little amount you eat. You eat can eat every three hours. I have the control now. The band is wonderful. Trust what I say. Some on the site told me this and it was true for them also. Be sure to follow the rules your surgeon and nutritionist set for you.

Good Luck...congrats...your almost there!

Ann Bo

banded one month ago...losing a pound every few days

thank you all for all the wonderful words of encourgement. this feel better today than yesterday and the day before. really not trying to think about it. you have all given me such a postive approach to my future. there is alittle apprehension, especially since i have to use the cpap post surgically. but now i'm down to 3 days!!!! oh boy. i feel like a kid who's about to jump into the pool for the first time and i'm holding my breath to take that first leep!!! excited and scarry all at the same time. i'll try to keep everyone posted!!!! again bless you for being there

Hang in there, one day at a time. We waste so much energy worrying about things that might never happen. I am only 2 days post-op, so I can't comment on long term effects emotionally, but I know that even though I am sore, tired and gassy, I have finally done what I needed to do to insure a healthy future. This is not my quote, but I think it applies: You have to let go of this side of the pool, if you are ever going to swim to the other side. Hang tuff! Cindy

Micki,

I am having surgery on 27th also and am anxious and excited at same time. What helps me is knowing I WILL eat again and it will be much less but still satisfying. Agreeing with Jack, smaller binges.

I have been on liquids for 10 days and have slipped once with handful of pretzel stix and another time some of small noodles of noodle Soup and with cheezits.. But feel overall I have done well. Nothing is 100% but we are sooo much closer to where we want to be going. Keep up the positive thoughts and come here often to be encouraged. I will look for our AFTER posts!!

Bonnie

Micki: And to the rest that are in the pre-op stage. I want to applaude your courage for even considering this life-changing surgery. It takes guts to have this surgery. Well any WLS actually. But to not be experiencing all kinds of emotions would concern me. Cut yourself some slack guys.

Jump in the pool, take that ride, to that bunji jump, whatever analogy you wanna place on this surgery. See it as an adventure or a safari and you are going to go hunting those sadist people that all called you derogatory slanderous names. Shoot them (metaphorically speaking of course), stuff them, and mount their heads over your fireplace and then gloat and say ok who is in charge now sucka.

OK I went off the deep end here but I support you guys and am here for all of you.