Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

long post/duodenal ulcer

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little feedback or simular experience from anyone who wants to share. Here's my story:

For about the last 6 weeks I've been having reflux problems at night. I feel acid in my throat and have a sore throat in the morning. I tried taking Zantac 150mg but it didn't help. Then I tried Prilosec which helped a little bit. I also elevated the head of my bed and stopped eating after 6pm. I also cut out acidic foods. Since none of this seemed to get rid of it completely, I called my fill doctors office. He was on vacation so his nurse told me to go to my primary doctor and ask to have an upper gi/barium swallow done. I just got the results of the upper gi and the impression by the radiologist reads: "old duodenal ulcer or duodenal inflammation.". The primary doctor told me to go back to see the fill doctor (his office is closed until monday) because she didn't know what to do from here. In the mean time she gave me Nexium to take and I'm doing MUCH better since taking it. I don't have any acid in my throat and my sore throat has gone away.

I didn't have much faith in the radiologist who did the upper gi because he had never seen a lapband before. He asked me lots of questions about it including "when are you going to have it removed". He didn't understand that I couldn't drink the barium really fast because I had to wait a minute in between swallows for it to go down (it was morning and I try to be extra careful in the morning because I'm a little tighter then in the afternoon) It made me nervous!

I have to call the fill doctor on Monday to see if he'll see me.

I posted a message on Dr. Kuri's website to see what others thought and I got an immediate email from JoAnn (patient facilitator) telling me to call Dr. Kuri right away! And Sandy,RN told me to get an unfill right away to prevent reflux damage of the esophagus. She thinks I've waited too long already but as soon as I realized the reflux wasn't a temporary thing, I made appointments (it just took a long time to get an appointment with the primary doctor and then I had to wait to have the upper gi done and then another week to get the results)

Oh, I hope my band has not eroded or something terrible. I'm doing so well with my weight loss (it's been slow but steady). I hate to think of loosing my band and gaining it all back. :-(

Anyone else have a simular experience?

It's my understanding that the duodenum is below your stomach, not where the band is...am I correct? I can see something like that causing problems but not ones that aren't fixable. Unless you wait longer. Can you get out to see Dr Kuri? I'd imagine a complete unfill would be the first step. But, I don't know. Rest your band, rest your esophogus, rest your stomach before it gets worse! Please keep us posted on what happens. I was banded by Kuri on 4/8 so I like to follow his patients in particular! Anyhow, let us know!

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for responding. I guess I'm just a little freaked out about this. The duodenum is the 1st part of the intestine. It is connected to the stomach and it IS lower then the band. I think I'm concerned because I'm hoping the radiologist (who knew absolutely nothing about the band) read the xrays right. I just hope he knows what he's talking about!

I'm really doing well with the Nexium so I know I just need to calm down. I'll feel better after I see the doctor.

Thanks again!