Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this normal??

I have been researching the lap band for over a year and i finally decided in may that i was definitely going to do this..i quit smoking and i got everything approved for the surgery. i have to take and educational class august 1st and then i get to meet with the surgeon to schedule my surgery. i have been eating really well, i quit drinking soda, i only drink Water. i walk atleast 2 miles a day. so why am i second guessing myself on getting the lap band? is this normal? did anyone else go through this? how did you cope, decide, anything?? i feel like i can lose the weight and i know within my heart that if i got the band it would definitely help....any thoughts?? the other thing that concerns me is 10-20 years from now...has anyone thought of the long term effects of the band...i know erosion, etc...has anyone been banded for a loooong time here????

What I knew within my heart was that the older I get, the harder it gets to lose the weight. I also knew the chances of me keeping off any weight I did manage to lose without the band was HIGHLY likely to pack back on. I'm a good little bit older than you and I think that factors in to my ability to decide and not look back! Once I knew, that was it. From there it was just nervous and anxious to get it over with! I was so tired of struggling. I knew I didn't want to spend my 40's miserable and discouraged. AND Fat! This was my chance and I took it! It's funny becasue my DH watches me "dance" with my band and he has to just laugh. I push it, it bites back. But it always wins!!! And I'm losing so he's proud. He has said several times over the last month "this band is for you. It's just what you need to help you. it's perfect for you and the way you like to eat" He's right! I'm satisfied on so much less. Tonight I slowly ate a half of a hamburger, 6 or so small steamed broccoli florets and too many au gratin potatoes...those went down EASY! but I was comfortably full, passed on dessert (homemade fresh picked blackberry cobbler with ice cream, no doubt!) No problem!

I, too, am concerned with the long-term. Dr Pleatman said on here that after about 3 years, the risk of band erosion drops dramatically. I heard of one 10yo Bandster, and others are out there living life without much need of support so we rarely hear from them. They are out there though. I'm hoping to be one of them!

My advice to you is keep moving forward until something tells you to stop. If you are still hesitant, wait 6 months and see how you do.

Also know, though, that being nervous about this beg step is normal. Feeling bad because you are so willing to do something so drastic..wondering what in the world is wrong with you that you would do this...that's normal. You will have a certain peace with your decision though. If not, wait.

I think before surgery we all get nervous and try to second guess our decision. Don't let fear of the unknown change your decision. Try to remember your reasons for starting the process in the first place. I have only had my band 2 1/2 weeks and thrilled with it. I wish I had done this a couple of years ago. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

I wish it would have been around when I was 25...having it done now I would never change my mind. With that said...what you are feeling I think is normal. I thought the same thing. All I could think about is what happens if something goes wrong...what will my husband and son do. I finally got over that and felt this was the best way for me to loose the weight and keep it off.

Good luck with your emotions they are tough thing. I think if you go through with it then you will love it.

I am 38 & second guessed myself up until they rolled me in. I had lost 7 pound in less than two weeks. I usually only had diet coke everyother day if that. Iwas a healthy eater- but a very large portioned eater. My truest down fall was laziness- stopping at fast food instead of going shopping & cooking. The great thing w/my band is that if I do cook - the meal that used to last for just lunch -now last for lunch- dinner & sometimes the next day. i can handle that:0) Yes the weight is slow go but I have yet to even start exercising! Its just too darn hot here the last month or more. I know thats an excuse but I am still so happy- today i am down 21 pounds.!! Whoo hoo ... I had a party Thursday & eat too much- but had such a great time. I gained two pounds back- BUT I know if I am good the next few days they will come off- I just need to stop with the party food & get back to the healthier foods.

So soory- back to your delemia(spelling?) Yes its so very normal too go back & forth. Complications are more rare than you think & many are fixable should they occur. My advice is to stay in the states & go for it! I too knew I could lose 30-40 pounds again on my own BUT I also knew I would put it back on a year or two later & than some. It was bound to happen. Now with my "new tool" i have a built in saftey net that is there to help me when I forget or fall back a little. Its only been since June 3rd for me but so far I am happy. Go for it - you'll be happy. Especially if you have more than 60 pds to loose. Good Luck

Adding a message, did you get mail Kathy?

I've been fat for almost my entire life, all I know is, I don't want to waste another 10 years trying to lose weight and only gaining it. I want to play in the yard with my DD for more than 10 minutes. :)

interesting question. The thing is, for me, I don't know if there would have been a "long term" without the band. Not for me anyway.