Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days ago it happened...

After years of ups and downs I finally had the Realize band implanted and I thought I'd share some of what I went thru.

I've been able to lose significant weight on my own via exercise and diet only to watch it slowly return over a period of a few years. Each cycle became harder and harder and now that I'm over the half century mark the excess weight has impacted more and more of my health. Several daily medications for high blood pressure and acid reflux, failing hips and left knee and people that know me are aware that I'd be better off without feet! icon_smile_wink.gif

Over the years I've done them all from Atkins, to zinc drinks and it was time for some drastic action. It took over a year of research and self education before I finally decided to take the plunge and have surgery. I had attended several different seminars before selecting my bariactric surgeon.

Months of tests, blood-work, psychological, nutritional, and a few others. Each insurance company has it's own set of rules they place in front of you to try and discourage you from having surgery. My primary care doctor has tracked my trial and tribulations with weight control over the years so well that that actually proved to be the easiest part in preparing an insurance packet for surgery approval.

The packet was ready on a Tuesday and I was told to expect an answer in about a week. I've also heard horror stories of people waiting months for approval which concerned me. See I understand that weight loss surgery is NOT a magic bullet and will require lifelong changes in how I live. Knowing that, it was important that I have the surgery during the beginning of the boating off season to give me time to adjust to the changes. Well, by the next morning, less than 24 hours later I had my answer and a positive one at that.

A date of December 2nd was picked due to scheduling of all involved including my Admiral. I had one more pre-surgery class to go to where I found out that my "last meal" would have to be 2 days before surgery. Seems all you can have the day before is Water and Clear liquids. The pre-surgery class was supposed to prepare you for what to expect when on your day of surgery including being in the OR.

Let me tell you that surgery is akin to a hard core S & M session. As the kids today say, OMG!!!! I'm going to leave out a lot of the details but let me just say it is 5 days later and I'm still black and blue on my wrists and legs from the damn leather restraints they use. And don't surgeons know that if BOTH of your shoulders have 3 to 6 inch VISIBLE scars that your range of motion just might not be as good as many people and tying someone down with the limbs raised higher than they can make them go themselves is gonna HURT!!!!!

From what I was lead to expect most people that have this surgery recover pretty quickly and require little if any pain meds. Apparently I had an excellent recovery nurse, (I was told this by another nurse), because I required morphine, Demerol and then for the past 6 days oxycodonye to tolerate the pain. Seems without the trained eyes of the nurse I had i would never have received the medications I was ultimately given.

Anyway, the last 6 days have been very difficult but on a positive note I have lost 20 pounds since the morning of the surgery. The admiral insisted I get off my lazy a$$ and go out with her to pickup some of the things I need and make a quick visit to see a friend. I was able to put on jeans I haven't worn in quite sometime.

Time to go take a nap....

The question is how do you feel over all congradulations on your weight loss. I am also banded by realize you are at the right place to voice your concerns as you are a newbie as my kids say you are in for alot of feelings and test. But what one person goes through another may not May you continue to be encourage and blessed

Up until yesterday/today I was having some pretty serious doubts about the choice I made. I really wasn't prepared for feeling so beat up as I've felt.

Thankfully that is finally starting to change.

Congrats on your banding and happy losing!!!

It seems unusual to require 6+ days of heavy pain meds. My script when leaving the hospital was for 2 small pills, of which I only took one and saved the other for when I felt really bad . . . which I never did. However, I know everyone tolerates pain differently. I hope you are feeling fine now that you are a little further out.

Having had shoulder surgery myself. I can tell you they moved my shoulder in ways that were uncomfortable for me. BUT I have to say I snapped back pretty good. I'm doggone near that Half centry mark. 12 yrs and a few months, but my body has been thru way to many accidents (car, fall, etc).

WTG on the weight loss. I hope each day you feel better.

Teri

Hi all.

This past Wednesday I took a major turn for the worse and went to the emergency room for blood clots in the arm I had the IV in. Seemed like a fairly minor issue since I've had clots in my legs in the past and they have always been superficial. (Not serious)

An observant triage nurse noticed my difficulty breathing and probably saved my life. Long story short, I developed a massive pulmonary embolism and was admitted to the hospital. spent the next 4 days getting pumped up with blood thinners and have a rather long road ahead to get over this thing.

Beginning to really wonder if I made the right choice in going for this surgery.... sigh....

Hi all.

This past Wednesday I took a major turn for the worse and went to the emergency room for blood clots in the arm I had the IV in. Seemed like a fairly minor issue since I've had clots in my legs in the past and they have always been superficial. (Not serious)

An observant triage nurse noticed my difficulty breathing and probably saved my life. Long story short, I developed a massive pulmonary embolism and was admitted to the hospital. spent the next 4 days getting pumped up with blood thinners and have a rather long road ahead to get over this thing.

Beginning to really wonder if I made the right choice in going for this surgery.... sigh....

I am really sorry to hear that and I hope you are feeling better soon. It is no wonder you were feeling so bad when you had other issues going on. I didn't realize you had a history of blood clots as well. Were you able to get much walking or movement in after surgery?

You have certainly suffered through this surgery . . . but once you are feeling a little better and are in good health again, you should be able to start really feeling the benefits. Taking off a lot of excess weight seems to help everyone to feel better and healthier. I am sorry you are suffering now and I can only hope that this is just the end of the old suffering and you will move on to much better and happier days to come.

Good luck with everything.

Wow, mine was nothing like that. I woke up with some pain and they put some morphine in my IV and that took care of it. I had no bruises other than where the incisions are. I took pain medicine (liquid hydrocodone) for 2 days post op and that was it. Had some pain from overdoing it the second week. But that was all. Congrats on taking the step to get it done, and hopefully it is all downhill from here.

Back to the emergency room today. Felt like I had another large clot in my arm, the one that had the surgical IV but it seems I now have developed a nasty infection in my arm near where they have been taking a lot of the blood tests. My arm is swollen twice normal size and hurts like hell. Lots of antibiotics and back on the pain meds.

:thumbup:

I tried to walk as much as possible after the banding but I'm sure I should have done more.

I'm sure I'll feel better but I just don't know when. I was also told today I'll probably be on blood thinners for life. So much for my goal of getting off all my daily meds by losing weight!

St Clares in Dover. The surgeon was Dr Abkin. I wouldn't put any blame on them at this point. Seems I'm pre-disposed to the clot issue and the infection most likely is not from the banding surgery but from my 4 day bout in another hospital, Chilton Memorial, for the pulmonary embolism.

It's amazing how many times they draw blood when you are in the hospital for what I was. Both my arms look like a long time junkies arms. Not pretty.