Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dietician---6MONTHS???

Does everyone, or mostly everyone, have to see a dietician for 6 months prior to their surgery? I have seen a lot of posts about this. And if you are required to lose a certain amount of weight before being approved by the insurance co., doesn't that give the insurance co. a good reaon to deny you? Because you lost weight?? :sad_smile:

Kim

Does everyone, or mostly everyone, have to see a dietician for 6 months prior to their surgery? I have seen a lot of posts about this. And if you are required to lose a certain amount of weight before being approved by the insurance co., doesn't that give the insurance co. a good reaon to deny you? Because you lost weight?? :sad_smile:

Kim

Great question! I worried about this as well. I was required to do the 6-month medically supervised diet with Blue Shield of California. I started in January 08 and did not lose weight because I was told not to drop below 40 BMI.

Personally, I think the insurance company requirements are ridiculous for bariatric patients. The issue is not weight loss, but keeping it off. I can lose weight, but struggle to keep it off.

Anyway, I never went below a BMI of 40. I was told to make sure not to gain weight either during the supervised diet.

In August my primary care doctor submitted my supervised diet records to the insurance company along with a letter recommending me for the procedure. The insurance company approved me in August to move to the next step, which was to meet with a bariatric surgeon. Once the bariatric surgeon met me and weighed me, that weight became the official start weight. Not the the weight at the 6-month diet.

Then, I had to complete an upper GI and a H-pylori test. Once those two tests were completed, barring any complications, my bariatric doctor submitted all her records pertaining to me to the insurance company for approval of the bariatric banding surgery.

Once, I was approved for the surgery (approval in 24-hours), I could officially start the pre-op diet and lose all the weight I could without having to worry about the insurance company rejecting me for a lower BMI.

Hope the information helps. It really is dependent upon your insurance company's requirements. Good luck!:tongue:

I was required to do a 6 month piece and also see my Primary Care Physician every month. I did 6 months of WeightWatchers with the Dr visits and I was approved. I lost 20 some pounds. I think it is to see if you can follow a diet regimin and follow what your Dr tells you to do. Just make sure that when you go to your Dr it is for the weight issues. Good luck!!

THANKS!! BigMomma1981 and TQUAD64, I guess that is what I might be looking at. I am a very impatient person and am not looking forward to a year long process. I worked for a Dr. and know how insurance companies can be real pains and they really have the last say, above and beyond a Dr.'s order, which is very wrong! Thanks guys and good luck on your journey!! :sad_smile:

I was required to meet with the dietician to clear me for surgery.

My insurance required that I see a dietician for 4 months prior to my band. It has really helped me more than I ever thought it would. The band for me was kind of like bringing home my first child-Now that I have it-what do I do with it?

My insurance is requiring either a 6mo diet or a 3 month multi-disciplinary program. I am going wit the 3 months. But I think the reality of the requirement really comes down to money. With the diet requirements if 10 people start the process then probably at least 5 will not follow through with the program so then they saved the cost of surgery for 5 people. Insurance always comes down to money.

THANKS, jmegirl and KyBandChick!! WOW! :biggrin: 18 month diet?? Are they nuts? Self pay would be the way to go, but... Yes, onsurance companies think they are God and unfortunetly, they win in the end! :biggrin: