Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone hypothyroid?

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who is hypothyroid and has had successful weight loss with the band?

I am Hypothyroid and have lost weight...I had surgery on Nov 25th and lost 17 lbs pre-op and 11 lbs so far post op.

thank you so much for replying rikye1. I'm going to my first info meeting on 12/11 and that question was the deciding factor on if I was going to have the surgery or not. What concerns me is I'm not as big as I am because I over eat so how would having the lap band help me.? Is your weight loss typical? and are you on synthroid?

I didn't really eat a lot either, just all the wrong food. chips, candy, popcorn, tons and tons of Diet coke everyday. I went to my seminar on Oct.18 and lost 7 lbs before my first initial appt. just by cutting out the foods the Dr said were bad......ie.bread,popcorn,Pasta,potatoes,chips,crackers,candy, anything white...I started a liquid diet 10 days before my surgery and lost 10 more lbs. My doctir is very strict and wants you on a liquid diet 10 days before surgery and 4 weeks post UGHHHHHHH!! I have lost 11 lbs since surgery but as I said I am still on a liquid diet and will be for 2 more weeks.(unless he changes his mind on Thurday at my pre-op) I don't know if my weight loss is typical but I am shocked that I have lost so much weight since I have been blaming it partly on my thyroid for years.......now I am a firm believer it was what I was eating and the tons and tons of Diet Coke..........

I also found out I am B-12, Vitamin D and Iron deficient at my pre op appt.......I can not tell you how much better I feel from my Vit D,B-12 shots and my Iron infusions...it is amazing...again something I have always blamed on my thyroid since I was always so tired......it all makes sense now....

Good with everything....you will make the right decision for you!!! :thumbup:

Riky

BTW, I payed out of pocket since my insurance would not pay and I am so happy with my decision..........I will be honest I was in a lot of pain the first 5 days after surgery...but so they say "no pain,no gain" and I am excited to see more of the results

After losing 7 lbs on my own I thought for a second I shound just do it myself and I realized I had been "yo-yo" dieting for years and chose Lap band as a tool to help me instead. I really think if you stick to the program and have a great outlook on things it really will be successful.

I'm hypothyroid and am excited to have surgery and lose this weight and be a healthier person! I'm on Levothroid 100mcg. When are you having surgery? I'm hoping mine will be sometime before the end of March.

Edited by swishbc
typo

I was diagnosed in 2001 with Hypothyroidism. At one time I was taking .75 mg and today I take .88mg. On Saturday I took a blood test to see what my thyroid levels are post op. Maybe I will need a lower dose now. I will find out next week at my 4-week post op checkup.

Anyway, 10 pounds down pre-op diet and 20 pounds down post op. Surgery was on 11/11/08 with a 10cc Lap Band prefilled at surgery with 3ccs.

I just learned how to use the quick reply (hee hee hee) I'm at the start of my journey. I go to my first info meeting on 12/11 and i'm very excited. I fought this decision for years but now that i'm in the 300 lb+ range it's time to make some serious life changing decisions. Let me just tell you I am scarde out of my mind, but as I watch shows like the 700 lb man and other eating disorders shows I'm happy that I have decided to do this. I have recently done alot of research on hypothyroidism and found a great site by Mary Shomon called Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules I have learned alot. But it seems that the info came too little too late. I'm ready to make this change for me.

rikye1,

As I read over your last post I thought to myself " hey I blame those same things on my thyroid" I'm going to get me some b-12 and Iron and hope i makes me feel better. thanks for the info

Wow TQ awesome results!!

Lisa, when you go to your appt on Thursday maybe your dr. will do some blood work to see if you have any deficiencys.

Yeah, LOL I figured out chips dont have a lot of Iron :wink_smile:

2 weeks post op and still at 11lbs lost. Is everyone still on the liquid diet?