Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to be banded !!!

Hello All.....!

I am scheduled for lap band surgery next Thursday, Dec 11. I've got to tell you that I'm nervous and confused. Not about the surgery itself but the amount of Protein I'm expected to consume. My surgeon's nutritionist tells me 3 days clear liquid after and then day 4-7 are full liquid days. I'm running around trying to purchase products prior to surgery so as to not burden my family. I did not have to go on a pre-op diet. Any suggestions.. I've never used chat rooms or bloggs before either.

Thanks!

I'm also going to be banded on December 11th. My doctor told me to try different ones. The EAS muscle Protein Drinks in chocolate are pretty good. They taste similar to Slim Fast. The glucerna drinks in chocolate are also good. Good luck on your surgery... stay in touch...let me know how your doing?

Please clarify this with your surgeon and/or nutritionist. (I prefer my surgeon, but that's just me). Each seems to have his/her own "spin" and pre- and post-op requirements, and they have good reasons for their choices; if you follow anecdotal info you may mess up. (IE I had to do additional dieting preop because it was important that I shrink my liver; not everyone has this issue). My surgeon says, once healed, we're to get 60 gm of Protein a day, but as I'm sure you know, going for a few days without won't make or break you!

Just do what your experts tell you to do. They should recommend brands and specific products to help you.

and.....congratulations! :thumbup:

Hi. Restless is so right....and so smart. Right after surgery, you just need to make sure you get plenty of liquids and take good care of yourself. Focus on healing. When you get into real foods, you will have to have that 60 grams of Protein each day (or whatever your doctor tells you - it is 60 for me). With a Protein Shake each morning (15 grams) and the protein I eat for my other 2 meals, I usually hit it or come very close. If I need more by the end of the day, I put a scoop of unflavored whey Protein Powder from GNC into my yogurt. It has 21 grams of protein, doesn't change the flavor of the yogurt, and puts me well over my 60 grams. I was very worried about getting it in too, but it is much easier than it sounds. I use thedailyplate.com to keep track of my meals, calories, protein, etc. Good luck to you!!! Becky

I am surprised you didn't have to see a dietician. I changed doctors, but both required seeing a dietician pre op. It is really helpful. Good luck. My date to be banded is 12/30/08.....

I'm also going to be banded on December 11th. My doctor told me to try different ones. The EAS muscle Protein drinks in chocolate are pretty good. They taste similar to Slim Fast. The glucerna drinks in chocolate are also good. Good luck on your surgery... stay in touch...let me know how your doing?

Thank you for your comments and I too would like to keep intouch with someone who is going through day by day as we are about to begin a new life.

I'm a nurse; as you could guess; and I work nights so I will keep in touch in the late hours for the rest of this week but after surgery I'm off for 8 days. If you hear anything that will help us out let me in on it. Again, thanks.

I saw the nutritionist and she was okay but not as diligent about specifics of the products needed immediately after surgery. Truthfully, with all the problems I had with insurance approvals and making sure I had all my appointments covered I could not concentrate during my one on one appointments with her. She also made me feel like I was appointment 10am and let get on with this so the next appointment can follow. Maybe it was just me.

Hi. Restless is so right....and so smart. Right after surgery, you just need to make sure you get plenty of liquids and take good care of yourself. Focus on healing. When you get into real foods, you will have to have that 60 grams of Protein each day (or whatever your doctor tells you - it is 60 for me). With a Protein Shake each morning (15 grams) and the protein I eat for my other 2 meals, I usually hit it or come very close. If I need more by the end of the day, I put a scoop of unflavored Whey Protein powder from GNC into my yogurt. It has 21 grams of protein, doesn't change the flavor of the yogurt, and puts me well over my 60 grams. I was very worried about getting it in too, but it is much easier than it sounds. I use thedailyplate.com to keep track of my meals, calories, protein, etc. Good luck to you!!! Becky

Thanks this helps tremendously! Tips from those of you out there who are doing it are the bests. Thanks!

If you are looking for Protein during the clear liquid phase, then try the Isopure products. They have 40 grams of protien and come in great fruity flavors. This product is low carb high Protein and tastes great. Plus, it is consider a clear Fluid. Think of it as a Crystal Light drink, except less sweet and lots of protein. You can find them at GNC.

See the link: GNC - Nature's Best