Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

YAY Candy!!! Congratulations!! It seemed like you experienced a bit of pain. No pain no gain!!! LOL . It's good to hear from you , I was getting a bit worried, of course I may be in the same position and not post right away. Who was your surgeon?

candy do you think the spasm was from maybe drinking too much?? Did anybody else experience that? Ok, Can you all tell that I'm starting to get nervous?? :-) Chris you know you will be getting a "Dear Abby" call soon LOL.

Sheena girl you are rocking! Rock On Sister!! I am so excited for all of us. So when is the next get together?

Sorry I dont mean to intrude but I think you all are the best ones to ask my questions to =) .

Hi all .My name is Zoe ,I am curious ...I heard Kaiser requires a 24 week course prior to accepting you for Surgery ?Is this true ?Also does Kaiser cover the Surgery or is there out of pocket expense as well ?

I weigh 335 and am 5' 11" ...BMI of 45 or 46 last I checked .I am doing the 1200 cals a day ,but something isn't right as I'm not losing ?

*whew ,telling my weight is sort of liberating ?=) ,feels good ...*

Sorry I dont mean to intrude but I think you all are the best ones to ask my questions to =) .

Hi all .My name is Zoe ,I am curious ...I heard Kaiser requires a 24 week course prior to accepting you for Surgery ?Is this true ?Also does Kaiser cover the Surgery or is there out of pocket expense as well ?

I weigh 335 and am 5' 11" ...BMI of 45 or 46 last I checked .I am doing the 1200 cals a day ,but something isn't right as I'm not losing ?

*whew ,telling my weight is sort of liberating ?=) ,feels good ...*

Hi Zoe, welcome to our abode. No Kaiser does not require 24 weeks of course before surgery. Are you a member of Kaiser? If you are then Your primary care physician has to refer you the Bariatric department and once they receive the referral they will call you for an orientation and then the process begin. You do have to lose 10% of your body weight before surgery. After your orientation and after you meet the surgeon it's all up to you to work on your weight to reach pre-surgery goal. Yes Kaiser covers for the bariatric surgery. So your first step is getting your referral on the way. You can ask questions as you proceed with the process.

This group has been fortunate to have each other. We are a wealth of information. Don't feel bad about telling your weight when I started I weighed more than you :-) and I am the same height as you. This is where you are able to discuss your weight with people who understand you. So in a nut shell welcome to our group and please don't hesitate to ask away!

Reggie

Edited by reggie71

candy so glad to hear from you. I know, I know, I know..........the first week I wasn't sure I wanted a band anymore, but there it was inside of me already!! I didn't enjoy that first week at all.

Once I got to full liqiuds things got better faster. I started to feel better.

Everyday gets better and better. Hard to see it now but at 3 weeks out I am 1000% better.................everyday was a huge improvement for me. It gets easier and easier!!

My period also came early and lasted twice as long. Most painful and annoying period I have had. But it got me thinking about what Liz said about fertility going sky high once you lose some weight..............My period has never been regular and never lasted more than 1 1/2 days...............I had my period for 8 days.............ah no thank you..........that has not happened since I was in my teens. I am sure it has something to do with my weight loss and and surgery...............interesting...(TMI I know, I know but we all know each other pretty well now!!)

No spasms for me...........but I get cramps if I drink to fast on my left side..............or eat to fast.

Reggie you will be fine!! The first week is intense but not undoable. I am just so glad I did it and that the surgery part of it is over now!!

Reggie how many days now??

ZOE: Welcome stick around this is a great group and a great thread!! Join us!!

Thanks Tina!! I have 13days to d-day AAHHH LOL. Speaking of period, will they perform surgery if you are on your period? I'm cutting it close!

Evenin all you RICH-mond ladies! Ok, so I confess, glad it is mostly ladies in here, although I am sure guys read it all.

Yes, they will still do the surgery, that is what I was told, but I really planned away from it, lol. Glad to see you getting ready Reggie...remember, walk, Water and west (rest!) before and after! Will keep in you prayers!

Candi woman, yeahh you 'lil' bandster! hehehe, so sorry bout the pain, did JT dig out the heating pad? IF not, I will drive it down tomorrow! lol At least you are moving about and more cohesive, been thinking bout you lots!!! Please call for any reason!

Welcome Zoe, you will find much support, answers and real stories here, which will help with your decision! We all do the weight thing...one way or another, too shy for before pics yet! lolol Well have a blessed eve all, I will be going to chat tonite about 7:30 - 8:00 if interested! :thumbup:

I heard that they will do surgery even if your on your period but that you get to wear your underwear if your having your period otherwise you get to go commando...............LOL. Someone from Kaiser had that happen and they had to explain it to the nurse and surgeon so they could keep their underwear!!

Who is your doctor again Reggie? Are you Dr. Baggs too?

Reggie, you'll be fine if you're on your period. You're only under anethesia for about an hour and you pee RIGHT before being walked back for surgery. Then they have you get up and pee within a couple hours after surgery.

Dr Baggs told me to expect a period soon after surgery, that the trauma from surgery often forces an early period that can also last longer than normal. Luckily it didn't happen to me but sounds like it did for a couple you...that sucks.

Zoe, do you live in Norcal or Socal? I know the 6 month classes are required in the Socal Kaiser system but not up here.

I'm also sitting in a lovely plateau...same dang weight since last week. I haven't weighed in 2 days though and I'm hoping that tomorrow (my weight day before surgery) will show SOMETHING different. I know that if anything it's because I'm not eating ENOUGH calories and definitely not that I'm eating too much. I'll have to start adding more calories to my day.

WHat Chat Donna............on here? I might join in if I know where.

CANDY: Donna is so right the heating pad saved me. I still sleep with it on my port every night. Oh yea gotta try the heating pad it was my security blanket against the pain...........oh well it still is!! Just don't use it to much in the beginning.........doctors orders!! LOL. Same here if you need anything or just to talk call me as well. I emailed me phone number to you.

Reggie: Same for you if you need anything before or after surgery let me know!! I can forward my phone number to you!!

Nicole: Your going for your fill tomorrow right??

Edited by swrktp

Ah Christine so glad to see you online...........makes sense what Dr. Baggs said about the period. I was a perfect example. So maybe the next time I will be back to normal. I wish I would have known that before I stressed a bit about it!!

So many questions I wish I would have asked him beforehand. I was just too loopy from the morphine the day of surgery.............like don't use the heating pad to much I was clueless on alot of things right off!!

Thanks to Christine and Nicole who helped me out with all the information...........especially that first "sucky" week!!

You're welcome sweetie! I'm glad we're all here for eachother.

Tina, at the top of this page you'll see all the little headers (under the before and after polaroid pics under the banner) and the third one from the left says Chat. Just click it and away you'll go!

Ah candy my stomach is still bloated.............or maybe just fat still!! Seems like it takes awhile for the swelling to go down. My port is really swollen still and sorta puffs out ..............I am trying to drink more Water to get rid of the bloat!!

Whew it's good to know that they will do the surgery, thanks for the feedback Chris and Tina. Sure Tina you can send me your number. My surgeon is Dr.Park.

Chris I hope you break plateau soon!! I know once you break it, the weight starts coming off quick.

Edited by reggie71