Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Ok Ladies,

I was having a great day so far untill Kaiser called. This is gonna be a long post so hang with me and my bad spelling :)

Kaiser was calling to do early admission for my youngest son who was signed up to get ear tubes. When the lady was done getting my information, she said that I might have to pay $1k to $1.3k out of pocket. My jaw hit the floor. She said that is my deductable... Now the thing is I know what my deductables are, but that is not what I thought I was gona pay for an outpatient proceedure that only takes 1hr.

Since I was out with the hubby on a day trip I could do much but tell the chick that I have to postpone the proceedure. So when I got back from my day trip with the hubby I decided to call Kaisers billing and quotes department for more information. My initial deductable for each person is $1k and $6k for the family. After that it is 70% paid by kaiser and 30% by me. This is my husbands insurance. Not to mention we pay $400 for 4 people a month through his paycheck to even have this so called plan. Let alone our co-pays are $30 and Emergancy's are $180. So I called and asked for the quotes for both my son's ears and for my sleeve procedure. Up untill this point, I was told several times that it would be my standard co-pay each time I asked. Apparently the people I would ask never took the time to verify this information, as the real cost for my son is $445. And for me it is $3,000. My son's I can do. Mine I don't think so!

No here is where I am at a cross roads. I was recently licensed for my family home daycare last year. I decided to wait to take on clients untill after my surgery so that I don't take any time away from my clients that early in the year. My hope is that I would have the surgery in March, so I could take clients Late April. Like everyone in this economy, I need the $ so this is a long strech but I was willing to handle this. Now that I have to come up with $3k it just can't happen as soon as I thought. Therefore I have to wait till the end of the year, if I'm lucky enough to not have anyother bombshells hit. I already anticipate my rent going up with my lease due in 2 months, as well as other expenses.

Now originaly the timeing of this surgery was perfect. I was told by my OBGYN last year that if I want to have anymore babies to lose weight first. You see I had 2 misscairages last year and have had a history of fertility problems. So my surgen said I would be in the clear to get PG 2 years after the surgery if I wanted. That was perfect to me. But now i have to wait till the end of the year to do this :thumbup: so that puts me off track of my life goals for 3 years and it is upsetting :) I also have other reasons for losing the weight too, like my own health, and happieness.

I hope I don't come off as whinning. I'm just analyzing this situation and asking my self if this is a sign. Am I not suposse to do the surgery? Would it be selfish of me to take money that could go to other important family expenses to make sure that I get the timing I want? Also it makes me question my own self will power. If I could lose 12lbs in a 1.5 months on my own, why can't I do the rest with out the sleeve as my tool? What would you do? I'm still gona work on my weight loss, but I almost feel like my motivation is gone and my impatient nature is kicking in.

Ash-awwwwww... My heart goes out to you. I totally forgot to PM you! I will tonight. His is just a quick post from my iPhone. I would like to share my experience with you.

All-today was a really good day on program for me! Finally, I think it's this dang Body Magic tank top squeazing my gut to death!

Jes and Candra, this thing is so tight I can't even think of over eating... There's on room!

Food-

B- coffee w/ sugar & non dairy cream and 4oz grilled chicken

L-4oz grilled salmon, 1/4 cup rice and 1/4 cup mixed veggies

S-green tea w/ peach w/ 2tsp sugar.

Hi Ladies!!!

Ash – Difficult situation. I’m very sorry to hear your story. No it’s not whining, I’m about to do that. ;) I’m probably not the best for advice as I don’t have too much experience with your situation. You need to do whatever is best for you and your family. They can help you make the best decision. Postponing to later in the year might be best but it’s easy for me to say as I’m not in your shoes. You will get through it!!!!!!

Nicolie & Tamra – CONGRATULATIONS!! JOB WELL DONE!!! I’m so happy for you two! We may get surgery around the same time!

Pat – You’re up!!! Congrats!

Lee – Can’t remember if you have a surgery date yet?!?!

Well my time to whine: After waiting a week for a surgery date and making several calls to Richmond I finally got to speak with the person I needed to. It was a bit of an argument but I made my point and got a date. Since no one has ever returned for a surgery they have been in uncharted waters with me as this will be the third surgery. They tried to get me to drive to Richmond (2 hours one way) for a 15-20 minute appointment. I got out of that but I do have to redo the Pre-Op / Nutrition Class at the end of the month. Well I don’t need that class again since it has only been seven months but I’ll suck it up and do it unless the doc can’t get me out of it. I’ll email the doc and see… I think my new - did I say third surgery date will be 17 Feb. They say third time is the charm. I hope so, if not maybe they can wire my mouth shut. It’s a bit frustrating as the doc says one thing and the staff says something else…

I do have to show some weight loss otherwise they will cancel. Shouldn’t be a problem, I’m down about five pounds since my Richmond appointment last Monday. I’m on vacation next week which will not help but I will just have to cut back and not drink too much!

Sorry that I can’t make either of the next two Saturday events. I would really like to go! I hope you all have fun!! I should be able to make the February PW meeting!

I hope everyone is doing well!!! Thanks for listening…

Edited by skiingj

YAY JOHN!!! That's awesome, 2/17 here you come!! Who is your surgeon?? I am getting my date tomorrow, so hearing you get that day I am sure mine will be right there!

Ash I am sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say, but if it was me, $3000 is alot, and I would stop the trip now. I would continue to diet and excersize alone ;)

OMG John YAY... COngrats.... I am so excited for you. Hopefully we will be on deck at the same time!! Sounds like they are scheduling soon... 3rd time is a charm and you will kick butt!!!

Ash, Im so sorry to hear that but like John said if waiting is what you have to do then do whats best. YOU WILL BE SLEEVED!!! Just think possitive and keep doin what your doin...

TAMRA!!!!!! OMG OMG ARE YOU SO EXCITED??? thats me yelling hahahaha.....

Mo, did you find out about those classes for us???

Tina I want your lental thing too. I have a whole bag of lentils and I dont know what in the heck to do with them lol....

Riley I wish you were comin Sat.....We will have to do a walk in Vallejo.....

Gnite all im takin the night off from the gym American Idol is on and I LOVE IT!!!

Have a great night!!!

Wow - Ash - you may wish to call back and speak to somebody else - for real - I just paid my regular co-pay for my surgery but when I called the bus. off to find out how much it was they were telling me that I would pay my ER co pay so i don't think they really know what's up! good luck with all that.

John - Im so glad u got your surgery date. sucks that u have to take that class but it will all be worth it in the end! I met a girl in safeway today and she was curious about my spaghetti squash - anyway - she just lost 80lbs in 5 months on Alli (sp?) I'm thinking about checking that out till I get some restriction going on LOL Maybe you could take it while you're on vacation - it suppose to suck up the fat that you eat so your body doesn't store it or something like that.

First Pic in Oh10

post-264449-13813139038202_thumb.jpg

ooo Candra look at you and your sexy man!! go on with your bad self. LOL

Tamara - Doc Who... Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes! She is tuff.

Thanks everyone!

Nic pic Candra!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH CANDRA You look GOOOOOOD!!! YAY!!

Candra I am using Alli and have been for the last month since my restriction is down. Didn't say anything cause I am so sure Kaiser won't like it. It does take the fat out and if you eat to much fat your SO, SO gonna know it. Very expensive in my opinion. I do better with restriction than Alli but I am using it until I get restriction again. if you eat fat you get a terrible case of oily runs and you better be close to a restroom..............makes you NOT want to eat fat cause you will have an embarrassing problem. Lot of yellow, oily stools if you don't follow the run. Even Salad Dressing got me once.........

I don't think I would tell Kaiser about it though......

Special K loaf ladies..........not lentil. But lentil loaf is good too. Canolie eat the lentils plain they are SO, SO yummy!! Or with cottage cheese and up the protien!!

Ok so it sounds like you all want Special K loaf so I will bring that!! I did post the recipe probably about 100 pages back but I will bring it with me.

Dr Oz says wellbutrin is suppose to address head hunger. But Celexa has a good rep for no weight gain..........ah yea right if you have restriction!! :-P

I was told 500 co pay for surgery but it actually turned out to be 15 dollars...........double check ash

Thanks girls & John!

I have been checking and double checking all day as to exactly what my husbands plan covers and what it wont ect. Most things are 30% or up to $2,000 after my $1,000 deductable. So if my surgery estimate is a $9,000 cost, my payment is $3,000. My co-pay is only for regular out patient stuff and Dr. visits. Even my ER is now a deductable - 30% of the cost I have to pay. ;) 3 years ago when my husband started to work for where he was, this was not the case. But since he works for a GM Dealer they are trying to cut cost, so the owner of the company pays nothing into our group rate. Each year for 2 years it has gone up. Her reasoning is "At least you have a job". I can apriciate that, however, at what cost? It seems like everytime I turn around prices go up and the reason people give is the cost of living.... But my income has yet to increase LOL!!!! In the morning I am going to call Fremont Bariatrics and find out if I have to pay the 3k up front in full. Maybe I can get a bill and make payments lol!!!!

Good Tuesday evening everybody.....

Yay John Feb 17th sounds like a a great day to be sleeved :0) Enjoy your trip but I'm sure you will watch your intake so everything is all good shortly after you get back.

Ash, I agree with Candra double check. You can also look online they have all the co-pays listed. Log into kp.org Either way sometime you just have to do things for yourself so that you are able to do for the family....I just saying.

Candra that picture is cute where were you two going all spiffy. Stay away from that Aili I took those things all they do is tear up your stomach and send you to the bathroom at the drop of the hat. Plus I've heard some things about it lately so go online and check into it because they are expensive. I decided I didn't need the possible side effects.