Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

I'm motivated by the way I feel, the new energy I have almost 24/7, the better sex I have with my hubby, the fun new clothes I can fit into and buy, the short term goals I make for myself so that I have something to look forward to every couple of months, the comments I get from my family and friends AND MORE! There's not much that DOESN'T keep me going! I'm so happy that I made this decision. I never second guessed it a single time and have had such a strong sense of knowing this was the best decision I could personally make for ME.

Girlfriend you look MARVELOUS!!!! And the sex thing I say you go girl, I know Bri is in seventh heaven!!!! LOL Call me sometime I lost your number during my Blackberry Crash!!

I had my appt with Dr. Fisher today. I had quite a different experience. I was super excited since I've lost 21 lbs since orientation. He didn't even mention that. I got two different goal weights. The first one, 280 is the weight he says I should start examining the emotional side. At 250 I should be scheduled for the psych eval. That's like, 84 lbs pre-op!

The whole reason, he says, is because I am young (25) and I haven't had kids. He says they need to be sure I have the emotional maturity to do it, and show them I'm dedicated. The other thing was that I'm a high risk right now. Apparently, not having kids means my abdomen hasn't been streatched out, so there's a lot of pressure in there. He told me the ideal age for lap band is 35.

It's not quite what I expected, but I'll keep on keeping on! I'm supposed to go in for regular weight checks with my PCP every 2-3 weeks and stick with the pre-op diet. He said he thinks I should get the band (vs. RNY and doing nothing) so at least he believes I can be successful.

I won't be able to meet up with y'all on Friday. I've got to work. :biggrin: So Candra, if your 14 lbs feels daunting, just remember, I've got 70 more to go!

Hello everyone,

It sounds like everyone is doing well with their weight loss. The fills seem to do the trick to curb some of the desires & giving you all a boost.

Congrats Chandra for being on your way! Heather don't fear things will all work out for the best. Your weight loss so far is awesome and those additional pounds will come off in no time.

I understand frustration. I went to the support meeting last night at KP Richmond and of course I weighed 3 lbs more than I did on my own scale meaning I still have at least 6 lbs before I get a date. The meeting was ok; I was hoping to meet other lapbanders but instead they were all RNYers. So it looks like I'll have to keep looking to you all for support. :biggrin:

The weekend is supposed to be decent so I'm planning to get out and get my exercise on:thumbup:

Take care,

Heather I think if you show your dedicated and your on top of this that they will reward that. I have to say I have not heard of having to lose so much before!! I think they just want to seriously think about it..................

I guess those of us with old worn out bodies are easier to do surgery on and they probably figure we are sure since by 37 (for me) we have tried everything and have resorted to this.......Dr. Baggs did not give me a hard time about any of it but I wasn't gonna take no for an answer either.

You are close, Jes!! So close! You'll get there!!

Christine - LOVE your list!!! Almost nothing that doesn't motivate you, I love it love it love it!!

Heather - I have a friend who had a very similar experience, I will PM you

WOW that's a lot to lose! I lost 40 preop in a matter of a few months, 85 over a period of a little more than a year.

You can do this, it's worth it. Remember, you just have to lose it and lap band will be your tool to keep it off!

I am 25 too, but I have two kids and my surgeon was Park. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Good luck and stick to it!

I had my appt with Dr. Fisher today. I had quite a different experience. I was super excited since I've lost 21 lbs since orientation. He didn't even mention that. I got two different goal weights. The first one, 280 is the weight he says I should start examining the emotional side. At 250 I should be scheduled for the psych eval. That's like, 84 lbs pre-op!

The whole reason, he says, is because I am young (25) and I haven't had kids. He says they need to be sure I have the emotional maturity to do it, and show them I'm dedicated. The other thing was that I'm a high risk right now. Apparently, not having kids means my abdomen hasn't been streatched out, so there's a lot of pressure in there. He told me the ideal age for lap band is 35.

It's not quite what I expected, but I'll keep on keeping on! I'm supposed to go in for regular weight checks with my PCP every 2-3 weeks and stick with the pre-op diet. He said he thinks I should get the band (vs. RNY and doing nothing) so at least he believes I can be successful.

I won't be able to meet up with y'all on Friday. I've got to work. :biggrin: So Candra, if your 14 lbs feels daunting, just remember, I've got 70 more to go!

Christine - GREAT motivational speach.

My scale just isn't moving so I'm getting frustrated - I know it will, in time, and that I just need to look forward to the light at the end of it all!

Heather, don't even tripp - I don't have any kids either (personal choice) and that did come up but given that I'm 40 it wasn't a big issue. Now, when I was your age I was 250lbs - however, Just a year prior I was 272 and let me tell you, when I put my mind to it back then, the weight came off quickly - now that I'm 40, not so much! Your scale is moving fast, girlfriend, so don't even worry about it. Did he tell you to say away from the carbs, milk & fruit too? Try that.

Jess, 6lbs isn't bad at all! I think alot of it has to do with the time of day also - I always weigh more in the evening. Maybe you can weigh in at your pcp's office first thing in the morning on Monday - wear a light sundress & foam flip-flops LOL

Well, I'm prepared to lose it with or without the band! (I hope with, eventually)

Heather Darling, you can do this , look on the bright side you are young you ability tospeed up your metabolism is great. continue the pre-op minimize ur carbs you will lose quicker. we are here to support u and each other so i say go for it. the end product is sweet. all together i lost 50lbs before surgery. i have no doubt that u can do "keep keeping on":thumbup:

Holy Crapamoli!!! Heather you poor thing. Take it as a grain as salt. 20 lbs in a couple of weeks is FANTABULOUS!!!! IIIIIIII AM very proud of you!!!! I have never ever heard of such a huge loss needing to be achieved. Would they allow you to maybe talk to another surgeon?

I have seen people as young as 17 on these boards with bands. I am 24.. but i do have a daughter. But its not like they dont add a ton of pressure by pumping us with gas.

WOW.. where do you live? If you want I will do a balls to the walls diet with you. Where we can log what we eat, excersize etc, and do weekly weigh ins, and maybe that will help keep you motivated to get to goal super fast??? I am sure more of us on this board would be willing also... Also i wonder if your dr would rx you phentermine to help get the weight off?

Ok thats enough of my brain storming..:biggrin:

Jess, wow girl you are sooo close to goal you will be there in a flash!!!

Well ladies i broke down and bought the Active.. Got it for 45 on Ebay.. yeah im a deal seaker.. Im excited to try it, i read that people with knee injuries can do it. But im so bored with the gym.. i prefer my walks...

My knee is still out. But it is also my ankle and hip too I notice. I fell a year ago and hurt it .............I am gonna get an x-ray and see what is going on. If I walk to long I start fo feel like my knees is twisted funny.......I keep hoping the weight coming off wil fix it but I am down 40 pounds almost and it is getting worse with more exercise. So gonna check all that out.....

Heather I am on a really strict diet and I am here with ya!! If I can do this so can you!!

So what do they want you to do get pregnant!! :-) Seriously I would try to get another surgeon but that might be awkward now.

I do understand where they are coming from. They don't want you to do something you will regret so young on impulse..........but get the psych eval soon and once you clear that than bariatrics might loosen up a bit.

I have noticed they are changing the program a bit. Robin told me that. The diet section of the folder has changed some. There is a new binder online now she said.......we can download it.

I also think they might get stricter to match Fremont and SSF................

Heather don't give up one day at a time. OMG I so wish I could lose 20 pounds in a month. Ah not even with my band will that happen!!

Where is the new binder? I just checked and it is the same one that was updated 11/08.

I got on the scale and was up a pound today - egads. And I went to Curves yesterday. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to eat at all - it would be easier.

Pam I haven't check out the new binder. But Robin said we could download it. She said the diet section some of the portion sizes changed. Not sure if that is pre or post op. Hmm I am gonna look now...................

Well I am barely eating and I only lost two pounds. I think that is how it is gonna go with me. I am happy it is down and not up cause last week before the fill it was up and down. Not is is just steady and consistent but nothing miraculous!!

Ah ladies I have a really really long day at work.............check back in tonight or in the morning.

My orientation group was the first group to get the new binder...I will look at it and see what the date is....I did notice that some of the measurements were different after talknig to some of you as the process went on!!

So I am dealing was some crazy stressful stuff at with work. mostly involving my husband but since we both work at the same place!! :unsure: Anyway, I am finding myself eating more because of the stress...I eat tell I feel totally sick....asnd then after while I eat more even though I'm not hungry............GGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR