Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Hey evrybody...just now reading trough the posts. Back to being busy at work.

I'm gonna give Robin a try Monday and see how it goes. I don't want to have to feel like I need to lie to her either. All the carbs I've eaten over the weekend has me really craving them. I feel like I'm back to how I was before the band the only thing is I exercise. My eating is out of control and I'm afraid.

Has anyone ever looked into FA meetings? I see they have them at Kaiser Pinole on Wednesdays. I think I might go check it out. I need to address my emotional eating and head hunger...I noticed yesterday that I was eating just because, not because I was hungry just habit.:rolleyes:

Yes Pammie I have that book too, and her workbook as well! Her and Kessler say the same thing in different ways, Kessler has hard science behind his book - LOTS of research - but I like Beck's simpler terms better. We have a workbook to from this class, that has all of the "D"s in it - I use what makes sense to me!

I am sorry to hear about your little hamster . . I love hammies, and I just won't get them anymore because they die!!

Oh my brain re-wiring pontification comes from my materials for the "Understanding Emotional Overeating" class that is taught at Kaiser by my favorite LCSW :-) The one I call my head-hunger class! David Kessler's "The End of Overeating" was the textbook for it, I am taking it again in January - there are 5 or 6 different series.

Riley, David Kessler was my boss at UC...well before they fired him. Very smart man. I need to get that book.

Pammie - so sorry bout your hampster - I had many hampsters & rats and I just can't do it anymore because, like Jane said, they die too soon. My last rat I had to put to sleep because he was bleeding internally - I cried so so so much and we aren't talking 20 years ago either - it was like 7 years ago - I was early 30's - I'm a cry baby and a sucker for my animals - Sorry for your kids!

Hey Jes - good to hear from you! I can't wait to hear how it goes with Robin - keep me posted. believe me when I tell you I feel the same way - as I did before the band!

Dr. Baggs got my message but no response yet. I am guessing that means he is gonna check with Robin but we will see how it goes............I bet I have to reschedule but who knows. I at least fought for a fill even if I am overruled.

I just don't understand how we had to lose weight without a fill to get a fill.........and so on. If that is the case are we using the band as a tool for weight loss or as a reward for willpower?? Just saying........

I bet I get a phone call tomorrow!! :-)

I agree with the head hunger stuff and exercise. Totally agree Riley. I think it is good thing just scary too to realize there is still a chance of messing up if a person doesn't stay on top on things......that is what scares me now!! THe long term committment which I am not great at.

Gaining three pounds in a month is scary too for me. I don't like it a bit. I am losing and gaining the same three pounds. I really think the exercise is gonna catch up with me here soon. Right Riley!!! LOL

Pam-Sorry about the hamster that has happened her a few times. THey don't seem to last long.

I just don't understand how we had to lose weight without a fill to get a fill.........and so on. If that is the case are we using the band as a tool for weight loss or as a reward for willpower?? Just saying........

Good one! I need to file that away in my "to use" statements.

I hear ya Candra and Jes.........here,here to those of use in bandster hell!!

I agree to I want to be honest but sometimes it feels like if you are there are consequences I might not agree with. I don't disagree with the message I just disagree with the delivery and that is what I have always said it takes time to develop people skills and to learn how to present the truth in a way people can hear and so they want to work with you. THat is is my issue the presentation not he message. Makes people resiste opening up ..........I still believe that a team approach should be used NOT a dictatorship approach. Message is right on..........

Just for me makes me NOT want to say when I need an unfill cause one they take to much and to it feels like it becomes just another problem and obstacle for me to deal with. I am to the point where if I needed an unfill I would NOT ask for it .........I don't like feeling like it is my problem I need an unfill and that is how it came across. Like if I lost more weight I would not have had problems. But here is the thing..............ask me what is going on, ask questions, go beyond the obvious..........instead of telling me what I am doing wrong.............that is where I get kinda pissy is in the approach!!

That is when I do my research to consider the source and to check for background and creditionals.

Jess tell me how it goes. I would love to know how it goes and if you get a fill. ALso how much and if Dr. FIshcher and Robin are on the same page ect. UPdates.

I just heard from Doc Fisher. Good news! He said he'd be happy to see me in the office again to discuss it, and I should send him a 2 week food log (in 2 weeks when I have a complete one... I know I should have kept up with it) or we could do a phone chat. He also said I'd be much happier post-op if I start at a lower weight because it takes so much more effort to lose as my weight gets lower. He said "Keep up the hard work" but if he examines me and it appears my weight loss has changed my intra abdominal pressure then it might be ok to do surger before the full 85 lbs. Woohoo!

And I did go to the EG meeting tonight. I missed y'all! But our friend Amanda was there again and I met Jaci, who is 4 years out from RNY and she was pretty cool too. I also met Jennifer (I think!) who is pre-pre-op. She just had her info class today in South Sac! She said she was leaning more towards the band. I felt like once she said that, the group attacked her. They talked about every complication, and the hassle of fills, and how many people they know who are failing their bands (not failed by the band, they're the ones failing it). It pissed me off. She had to go early so I stepped out with her to introduce myself and our site! Hopefully she joins us!

I don't care much for that EG group. It seems like the young people are cool, but all the older folks are not all that awesome. I didn't feel all that welcome. They start out going around the room and everyone says their name, their surgeon and how much they've lost. Almost everyone else was Fremont. There was 1 other Baggs patient and 2 Fisher patients. 1 pre-op, 1 post-op. The other pre-op had a high goal weight too, but still lower than mine! She said he told her it was because he won't do surgery if you're not on the bmi chart. Well, I'm on the chart and I have a bigger pre-op goal than her! I don't know. I'm glad to have heard from him, I was afraid to check my email!

Oh, and they clapped for every person. I kind of hate that.

Heather that is fantastic news! I'm so happy for you, you've worked so hard and at least he's open to re-assessing. We're pulling for you. Well Doc Fish isn't so bad after all. :rolleyes:

Go Heather! I would call now to schedule the appt for two weeks - if there is nothing available, you can have my 12/15 appt! I doubt I'll get a fill anyway LOL. I'm not worthy right now hahahah. but seriously, get back on that 1200 cal diet asap and keep a journal of it all and get your ass in there WOO HOO - lemme know if you find an appt because it would really make me happy to give you mine if you can't find another one!

Tina - Ditto! Very well put!!!!!

I think I'll make an appt to meet with the Doc in January. I'm going to be on vacation and then it's Christmas. I'm also thinking I need to hang around Richmond a bit more so I'm going to try to go in for weight check appts at Richmond every 2 months or so. A little more accountability! Maybe I can do one of those bariatric lifestyle classes too.

Someone mentioned that the Richmond support group is only weighing people at one meeting per month. Do you know which one?

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/

I stumbled across this tonight. I think I love it. All sorts of WLS appropriate recipes. And there are pictures. And this stuff looks good.

Wow, I'm chatty tonight!

Heather that is SO SO SO great!! I think he is gonna let you have an earlier surgery!! How you lost in your stomach?? I didn't know about the adominal presurre but that makes sense......

Ok you said they said you fail your band not your band fails you. Ah that is interesting cause that is how I feel when I get this attitude about not losing fast enough. Not true but well put.........

Candra if your not worthy neither am I but darn it I am gonna argue it a bit before I give in..........all in all I still want to lose and I still need to exercise and eat well fill or not. Just I want to be full with the 1/4 cup and not have to think and worry about what I eat all the time. The good foods are a habit.......but the amount. If your hungry darn it 1/4 won't cut it unless your band is working for ya.

I was told we should all be eating significantly less than 1200 a day. Even less than 1000 a day......but Dr. Baggs told me 1200...........so not everyone agrees on the amount. But under 1200 doesn't work for me. Over doesn't either though!! LOL.

I get upset when eating 1200 is not following the rules.....cause those are rules I don't think work for me.

Sigh.......................tired, tired, tired.

Riley does cranberry juice give you stomach cramps?? Ahh I drank to much.............;-)