Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Hi Pat!

Welcome to the group.

I love my decision with my band. You know the nutrient thing scared the crud out of me. Because, a lot of people die and get sick over that stuff, its pretty serious. We have to take 1 Vitamin and Calcium (and im guilty at forgetting it..) they have to take like 4 or 5. Thats too much to me. We also loose at basically the same rate. As long as you arent eating sweets all the time (guilty) I know this whole group, is keeping up with RNYers very well.. and we absorb EVERYTHING:) One good thing about the band, is it is changeable.. ie lets say you go to black angus with your husband, and you see the menu OH MY PRICEY ok well you guys can order 1 meal, and get an extra side of oh i dont know spinach.. lol:) ok so you got the lobster and prime rib, he has the prime rib minus a inch piece and you get most of the lobster tail. Guess what your full. Ok but because your husband is nuts he says lets do a desert.. ok whatever you do it.. ok if u had rny sorry that is out forever.. Rny cant do sugars.. we can. I love my band. Even when i get off track i still loose an average of 1.5 lbs a week. I get full off a little bit, but i also could eat more if i really wanted.. Ive never pbed over eating too much, pooey lol.

Now the downside of the band.. fills, they dont hurt though.. Its actually really nice to be held accountable via dr visits like that.. plus you develop a nice relationship with your surgeon. Im sure you know we all love ours:D Pbing.. this all depends on if you are too tight.. its not to bad all you do is open your mouth and food comes out. kinda easy super annoying. For example i was too tight after my fill and was havin issues for a while, when i pb i dont loose weight, not sure how that one works... but now that ive lost since my fill im able to eat again. Here isa good thing though ive had one meal and some Snacks (the lobster/steak meal) and im still full...

OK tina! Im so proud of you! You did a lot in a little time.. i miss chattin with you hope your around now..

Donna how was your day?

Heather, its ok to take time off just be sure to keep weighing:)

Jess good job on the wieght loss girl

Candra, it could be you arent injesting enough.. our bodies are kinda mean..

I miss you all:)

I did a lot of exercise today left at noon, walked to the mall and to black angus you all saw our meal.. then we walked to the bank hair salon then the mall walked it for 2 hrs then watched Up.. then left walked to target, then michaels, then the halloween store.. HEY CANDRA, wanna go to a halloween party? Im looking for something i know you are hip like that lol:) Anyone else?? I really wanna dress up this year and have fun.. it would be my first year ever.. Then we left there and walked home, so all in all we probably walked between 6-7 miles.. pretty good id think.

If you have an addiction to sugars you could have a huge problem with rny...

Heather,

Hang in there - don't let the carbs get you! I know what you mean about getting sick of the same food, but I find the carbs are really dangerous for me. I just think I can't eat them - I really think I am a sugar/carb addict. Anyway hang in there and get back on the horse soon.

Pat

Orientation 9/8/09 – starting weight 256

Surgeon Appt. 9/30/09

weight.png

Monique: well at my first surgeon appt, he just asked which surgery i wanted and gave me a goal weight, well i was already 30 down so he said don't gain any of it back.. and said i was free to see the CM SO if you've lost weight you could end up getting a CM appt... But he might touch ur tummy, as you questions, its pretty easy and fast:D Bring your binder:D

I'm totally off-diet today

Anyway, I'm not overdoing it just having a nice little tryst with carbs...

This is the perfect chance to shock your body. You just had a high carb/cal day so tomorrow go no carb low cals you'll probably give yourself a swift kick....This might be what you need to break the plateau.

That's what I was thinking (hoping) Jes! It has been so long since I've had lasagna and I just wanted to make a nice dinner for the boyfriend. My meal was much more modest than it would have been 6 months ago.

wow, Nicole sounds like you had a nice day Black Angus and all....Hows Mike? adjusting ok?

well I know now I need to stop looking at these commercials, every damn one is a food commercial. I'm not hungry but everything sure looks good.

Welcome Pat, it's a struggle I just try to take it one day at a time. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I first went to orientation. I think I made my decision here reading the posts. I know people who had RNY and I knew I didn't want that, so it was a matter of deciding if I was going to have lapband or nothing. My health dictated that I needed something, weight loss is just a bonus. So far I like the band, I really haven't been hungry. I guess you read that I get nervous and wonder about every little thing that happens to me. I called Kaiser 3 times 1 day out, but it's all good I just have to go with it.....good luck I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

Tina- not trying to get religous on you but I truly beleive Our Jesus has a plan and its seems that he is leading you into the right path for you...your job might even be closer than you are now and most importantly you will be hlping those precious innocent babies. So do not worry lady let his will be done.

I am so very happy for you.

Everyone - Good morning...I have about 6 pages left to read I will be gone most of today but will chk in and finish the remainder pages this evening. In the mean time I hope everyone has a great Monday.

good morning, how's everyone today?

I had grits this morning and they were good I'm sure I'll be full for a while. I also went on my walk. This time I took my pedometer, I had on a dress so I clipped it to my panties :biggrin: anyway I did 2238 steps. I going to try and do at least 5k today.

I feel good though.

Anyway, hope you all have a nice Monday. Candra how are you? I know you went to work today; take it easy as best you can.

Good morning Ya'll - back at the office today!

Ok, so back down to 195 today - I've lost 6lbs so far since surgery last monday. I don't know what that 2lbs was all about but I do know that my tummy seemed so much more sore and swollen yesterday - maybe the engagment party WAS to much to handle so soon. Yesterday was a day of rest - well, inbetween bathroom runs! LOL - So much better today.

Monique, Doc Fisher is pretty sweet - he will ask you which surgery you want and WHY you chose that one so have your answer ready. Then he will tell you how much weight he wants you to lose pre op - for me, he set up my psych appt right then & there and some lab orders. Bring your binder.< /p>

Pat - Does your husband understand that the malabsorbtion isn't forever - it's only until your body catches on and corrects itself - they say that takes anywhere between 6 - 18 months. After that you're in the same boat we are in only you don't have the luxury of a fill. That is why I chose the band - All the people I know that had the RNY gained back alot of their weight a few years out. It would be very helpful for you to talk with some folks that had RNY so that you can hear both sides. Another good point to the band is that things happen (pregnancy/cancer) and with the band you can unfill it so that you can get the nutrients you need when it's needed. These are just MY reasons - hope you find em helpful.

Jes - 2238 steps - wow - i haven't had on my pedometer at all but that seems like a lot so soon after surgery - good for you! Guess I better get my butt in gear!

I'm doing fine - I just sit here all day!!

Wow Candra- you only took a week off! dang girl you are a bad a_ _!! Well I just came in fro a few minutes I need to get back..but I will log in this evening. Bye for now.

Nicole

Thanks for sharing your point of view. What is pbing? Also like your story at Black Angus. Could you eat anything else besides the fish/meat - did you eat veggies? potatoes? or was the fish/meat and dessert all you could eat? If you fall off the wagon and eat things that you know you shouldn't do you find it hard to get back on track. I really wanted this to be a tool to help keep me on track. I've lost this weight so many times over the year, but can't keep it off (and I gain back more after each diet). I am trying to be realistic about what to expect and not set up false hopes. I am really afraid if I start eating simple carbs/sugar after the band that I will keep craving them (like I do now) and will have a hard time stopping.

Also - (sorry for all the questions), do you have a sense of how much weight the surgeon is going to expect me to drop (I meet with her in another week.) Some people say 10% and some it seems like it is much less.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Orientation 9/08/09 - 256

Surgeon Appt. 9/30/09

weight.png

The surgeon typically requires you to lose 10%, but depending on the surgeon and your body type, health issues etc. it can be more or less. I was 285 at orientation and was required to lose 20 lbs - which is less than 10%.

I feel absolutely no restriction now that I am at 6.5 cc - the 1 cc unfill feels like everything was taken out. I ate 1/2 c steak for Breakfast at 7 am today and was hungry by 11 am - just ate another 1/2 cup steak for lunch at 11:15. I didn't even get the "my band is full" feeling. I sent an e-mail to Dr. Im to ask if maybe Dr. Park took out more than 1 cc, but he responded no that the 1 cc she took out would make me significantly looser. I just sent him an e-mail asking when I can get another .5 cc to get me back to 7 cc. I feel like I am going backward - I ate some steak and mac and cheese for dinner and didn't feel uncomfortable at all - I was upset with myself for eating it so what did I do but eat a Drumstick icecream. Maybe I need to get an appt with my therapist to see what the heck my problem is.

Jes

Its good to hear your decision was between the band or nothing. Thats the way I am feeling right now. RNY just sounds too invasive and I really am concerned about the nutrition side of it. It is really helpful to read about your experience just being a few days after surgery. You sound like you are doing great and it is really encouraging to hear you aren't hungry. Do you think you are getting enough Protein / nutrion or do you not worry about that in the first few weeks? I understand about doing this for health reasons. I don' thave the complicating factors yet, but several of my sisters and brother have and I lost a sister last year after multiple strokes, high blood pressure, etc. so it has really motivated me to do something to prevent what is surely going to happen if I don't get this weight off.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Pat

Origenation 9/8/09 - 256lbs

Surgeon Appt. 9/30/09

weight.png