Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Hi Ladies!

Well I’m a LURKER and have been since this thread started. I wanted to pop on today and just say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you that have provided your stories! It has helped me greatly! Unfortunately for me my story has not been one of success.

I’ve had two Lapband surgeries in Richmond this summer. First was done in June but was unsuccessful due to my liver being too large. It appears I’m predisposed to this… I lost 34 pounds for this surgery and another 10-12 was lost three weeks prior to orientation.

Surgery attempt number two was performed August 24 exactly 62 days after the first and one day after my 40th birthday but this one was also a failure because of adhesions from the first surgery. I lost about 40 more pounds in six weeks to get this second surgery. Only had 10 days from goal to second surgery but it was just another letdown.

I’m no longer a band candidate so there will not be a third attempt. I’m the only patient that has ever come back to Richmond for a second attempt. I’m also the first and second band failure for my doctor. Three out of the four Richmond surgeons have worked on me though one of them was/is my surgeon and was performing both attempts. Not the statistics I would like to be known for. One good stat is I’ve lost 85 pounds since March. Jes from your posts we had the same orientation date. Good luck to you and anyone else getting banded!

The Richmond program is excellent and I would do it all over again if I could! Except for a couple people in the Richmond office that could use an attitude adjustment I have only great things to say! I’m blessed to have lost 85 pounds without a band but know that my chances of loosing anymore or keeping most of it off are somewhat slim.

I’ve been offered the Sleeve procedure and will probably go forward with it but my doctor and I would like to wait until the New Year to give my body a rest. I’m now below the BMI I would need to enter the program but my doctor is very supportive and I just need to maintain my weight to get a Sleeve surgery date.

My journey has been a short five months but feels like years. I wish you all the best and again thank you for the information you have provided!!!!!!

John

Edited by skiingj

Hey John

Wow sorry to hear your story!! But I think you will be happy with the sleeve I have heard good things and might have chosen that given the choice..........Kaiser Richmond wasn't doing the sleeve when I started.

So who was your surgeon? You said you have worked with three out of four? Also is Richmond doing the sleeve.

OMG 85 pounds is great. I would be almost to goal if I had lost that much. I am at 50 pounds down.

Hang here with us!! Don't be a lurker join in !! LOL

Hi John,

Welcome, I don't have to tell you how supportive everyone here is so yes, chime in. I met someone at one of the support groups that was having the sleeve, she said from Richmond but I don't know. Hmm, can't remember the guys in our orientation, I don't think there were many. Congrats on the weight loss that's awesome.

Hey John

Wow sorry to hear your story!! But I think you will be happy with the sleeve I have heard good things and might have chosen that given the choice..........Kaiser Richmond wasn't doing the sleeve when I started.

So who was your surgeon? You said you have worked with three out of four? Also is Richmond doing the sleeve.

OMG 85 pounds is great. I would be almost to goal if I had lost that much. I am at 50 pounds down.

Hang here with us!! Don't be a lurker join in !! LOL

Thanks for the kind remarks. I’m very happy with my surgeon but I'd prefer not to list them. Each surgery is attended by two surgeons. So you all have had someone else assisting. Dr. Im is the only one that wasn't present during my two. They all had the same opinion which was to abort each surgery. Richmond has been doing Sleeves for awhile but they are only done if a surgeon feels its best. It’s not a patient choice at the moment. There have been huge advances in the Sleeve this past year and they feel it’s a much better procedure. Unfortunately there are not much statistics or history with the new Sleeve procedure which gives me some hesitation...

Hi John,

Welcome, I don't have to tell you how supportive everyone here is so yes, chime in. I met someone at one of the support groups that was having the sleeve, she said from Richmond but I don't know. Hmm, can't remember the guys in our orientation, I don't think there were many. Congrats on the weight loss that's awesome.

I sat about three rows from the front. On the middle isle on the right side of the room. Some guy who sat on the other end of my table screamed out as he hit his leg on the chair or table. He was a bit wimpy and complained about traveling in from Oakland. I was thinking how about Roseville! The lady next to me was told to have bariatric surgery before she could have a breast reduction. Not sure if that helps…

Didn't know about two surgeons!! Hmm I had Dr. Baggs who I love but I have no idea who else than...............when I was in the surgery room I only saw the anthesoilogist, nurse and Dr. Baggs. So I guess the second surgeon must have slipped in later..........ah I wish I know who was there!!

Ok I guess they didn't want the sleeve for me I was given a choice of the lap band or RNY.

Well John stick around we would love to have you!!

Hi all,

Welcome back Candi~

Hey John - so sorry to hear about your journey so far but there is light at the end of the tunnel - the sleeve is suppose to be a great procedure. YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A BAND TO BE A PART OF THIS SUPPORT FORUM. Join us - I, for one, can't wait to hear about your next step. Best of luck to you!

Jes, you gonna go to your doctors office tomorrow? any new developments? I just skimmed thru to see what was going on but didn't see anything on it.

Chris - hope the morning sickness takes a hike soon - looking forward to seeing the 1st baby pics.

Tina - good luck next week - you will be in my thoughts.

I can't believe I only have 7 days left!

During both my surgeries I never saw any of the other docs so they must come in after you are asleep. My Doc has only done four Sleeves but they have fixed many that had been done outside Kaiser.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!!

Ok I have to ask which doctor is doing the sleeve? I know Dr. Baggs does the most bands............

well I really want to know who the other surgeon was. I am gonna have to ask Dr. Baggs now!! LOL

Stick around John!!

Is it difficult to get Kaiser to qualify you for surgery

Hi Willowtree - I didn't have ANY difficulties. It all depends on your PCP - Once your PCP refers you, your in. the only requirement they have, i belive, is a BMI of 40 or above. OR, a lower BMI with co-morbidities. Just ask for the referral and see what they say.

Thank you

I plan on contacting my doctor this week. I am 100 lbs over weight, so I would hope that I would qualify.

I totally need some Fluid out!!!! I'm at 5.5.....

I've only lost about 3 pds since my last fill, I'm thinking its because of the high calorie liquids...and the fact that I really have been bad about the water.....I haven't excercised in a month...terrible...bad habits are lerking...

Maybe part because I haven't been involoved in much to do with my band and need to find some time for myself again...like being on here!!! :thumbup: With my girls!!!! I totally missed you all!!!

Tina I'm so glad you love the oils....I cook with them almost every time I cook!!!! That one should be there soon......I had never had to order a replacement before so there was some mix up on my part about numbers and such...but it should come soon!!!!

Christine we need to get together soon.....I miss you!!!

Candra...your having surger in a matter of dats...yah hoo!!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble John had with lap band since its been such a blessing for us...but you know everything happens for a reason...you were just ment for the sleeve!! :)

Not sure how many Sleeves if any the other surgeons have done.

The Sleeve forum is not doing it for me, hard to follow, hard to relate to as many people are not in this area, not with Kaiser and I've studied the band for a couple years... Interesting how many have converted from a band to a sleeve. This forum has been so good and I've followed you all for soooo long. We are all so lucky to have such a great Kaiser program and doctors!

Willow...I had no problems either...I was 100 pds over weight...I emailed my PCP and asked for a referal..I told her I wasn't sure about it but I wanted to find out more about it...I had orientation on 03/03/09 and did EVERYTHING they told me too and had surger on 05/04/09...2 months later.......I know some have ha a hard time but most don't ...at least if I remember