Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

I just opened an advertisement from Coldwell Banker that was in the mail - an obvious marketing scheme... Anyway - in bold, turquoise lettering across the top is a quote from James Beard:

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience"

Really, is this what it all boils down to - even the banks trying to shove food in my face?

Sorry, guys, I am rambling about absolutely nothing that has to do with anything but I'm HUNGRY and I'm trying not to focus on food then I open this junk!

Candra you are TOTALLY busting me up this morning! I think you should come post on here when you are "cranky" more often, LOL! LMAO.

LOL Candra you are a riot! No i didnt notice the earing issue:D I would have told you!!! Totally.

And about the clothes i say take them cause she obviously wants you to think she is smaller??? But i am a 10/12 and I will still wear 14s cause they are super comfy.. but they look kinda funny.. so not sure why shes handing them down.. unless she just has a TON of clothes?? and can spare these?? IDK.. Me im very limited lol.

Ok girls we are leaving now:( Im gonna miss everyone, isnt that pathetic im going on a trip and gonna miss ALL OF YOU!!! Im lame.. ok talk to you on sunday:D

Hugs

Have a great time Nicole! You & Mike drive safe now you hear??

OK going to add my 3 cents work re: lap-band vs. RNY. I am the sole lap-band speaker at our 14-week bariatric surgery class here at the Santa Rosa Kaiser, so I know of what I speak!

By the time I get to the class to speak - about week 6 - the folks have already had several successful RNY speakers come in, plus they have gone through the info class that you have to take first. In that class, they repeatedly call RNY the "gold standard" of bariatric surgery. But they do not bother to explain that "gold standard" does NOT mean that it is the best - it means that it is the baseline for statistical comparison. So when I ask how many people have already made up theri minds to have surgery, all the hands go up. When I ask those who already know for sure that they are going to have RNY to leave their hands up, there are only 3 or 4 that go down - the ones that will still consider lap-band. I do not beat up on either surgery - heck, SSF is doing gastric sleeve now too, so I guess I should say that I don't beat up an ANY of the surgeries - but I do ask that they consider more than just how fast they will lose weight. I tell them that this journey is about SO much more than which surgery you chose, which doctor you chose, and how fast you lose your weight. It is about the rest of your life!! You need to consider more than the immediate future. Do you want to NEVER be able to eat wedding cake - or birthday cake - again? Never be able to have a couple of glasses of wine without dumping toxins straight into your bloodstream? Because you CAN have the best of both worlds - good weight loss - MORE than 60% of excess weight with the new AP that we all have - good health - AND the ability to live life to the fullest without a lifelong malabsorptive component.

My personal reasons for insisting on lap-band are:

1) Vegetarian

2) Did not want to never be able to drink or eat sweets again

3) No malabsorptive component - no re-routing God's system

4) ALL of the health professionals that I know who have had WLS chose lap-band. VERY telling.

That said - it is a choice, and the choice is going to be different for every one of us. How blessed and fortunate are we that Kaiser allowes us to have these choices! I just wish they would get me into thatclass sooner so they would not all be so sure thay wanted RNY before they even heard about the lap-band.

That was my second lecture this morning! I'm on a roll too Candra, LOL!!

I'm curious about the sleeve... comitted to lap band! but just curious

There's a chick on there that had the band but switched to the sleeve - I don't want to ask her any questions because in ALL of her posts she, well, let's just say not a very nice person!

She said that the band is more dangerous than the sleeve and that the sleeve has better success and that the pouch can NEVER be stretched out because they remove the "elastic tisue" or something crazy like that. I will try to find it again but really, it doesn't sound right - that it can never be stretched out.

Got too busy to eat the bulk of my Breakfast (lentils & vegie sausage) so will have to save it for tomorrow!

Breakfastaddagain.gif delete.gif Strawberriestagit.gifLunchaddagain.gif delete.gif Spring Mix - Baby Blends tagit.gif addagain.gif delete.gif Spinach - Raw tagit.gif addagain.gif delete.gif Egg, Whole - Cooked, Hard-boiled tagit.gif addagain.gif delete.gif Edamame - Frozen Vegetables Premium Bagged tagit.gif addagain.gif delete.gif Parmesan, Grated Cheese tagit.gifTotal Calories Consumed349

Edited by riley4183

Hi-ya,

you all are on a roll today. Riley thanks for your posts!! There are so many mis conceptions out there about "the surgery" I'm glad to hear that you can have your occasional indulges. Originally I was worried that all those things would be gone for me. I mean I like wine....don't need sweets but a glass of wine now and again is something I enjoy.

Happy travels all you campers...I'm heading to Bev mo tonight to get the bajabobs

Candra you know Richmond Kaiser is doing the sleeve I met someone at the last group mtg who's getting it.

ok one more post then I need to get back to work.

So this morning my scale said 187 yeea. I was all set to go weigh in at kaiser this morning but I didn't. I figured by the time I make the scale adjustments I'd be over argh! I need courage, I'm scared of not being there. I keep telling myself WTF if I'm over 190 then just go back on Monday LOL.

Totally, Jes! I am not a big sweets eater either. And whn I talk to the class I do say that if they either have a problem with sweets or are diabetic, they should consider RNY. But most of my RNY friends do NOT have dumping syndrome after the first year or so - much to their dissappointment! I do have 1 friend who is 11 years out (pre-laproscopic era) from gastric bypass, and she will STILL dump on too much sweets OR too much fat. She loves it! She has also had to have 2 additional surgeries for obstructed bowels as a result of her earlier gastric bypass. . . but that was a LONG time ago, it is not the modern RNY procedure. She says she would still do it all over again in a heartbeat, even if she had needed 10 more surgeries. She was well over 400 lbs, so if she had done nothing 11 years ago she probably would not be here now! I am grateful every day that she had the strength and the courage to do the surgery back then, or I would not have her around today. She had to stay almost a month in the hospital back then, with all kinds of drains and etc. - the times they have a changed!!

Boy I missed alot in one day. I took today off as I went to see the therapist at Kaiser at 11:30. We aren't leaving for camping until tomorrow around 11 am. I didn't even notice you had on two different earrings Candra - I'll check next time I see you. I am up for going for lunch after the meeting on the 25th. I was back to 211 this morning - so that makes 74 lbs for me. I am so proud of all of us - we keep plodding on with our ups and downs - that's what life is all about.

Hi Pam, and amen sister! As long as we plod ahead with our friends we are doin' great :-)

Got to head into a nasty public hearing now; 2 of the coworkers here are out with shingles (!) and 1 of them has a nasty public hearing item on the agenda today, his supervisor did not want to do it so I have to

I think any of the surgeons in Richmond would be fine. It just depends on the person. At first I wished I could go to the group nutrition and fills you guys have with Dr. Baggs, but after my last appointment I think I like seeing Robin alone - I get her for 45 minutes all to myself to talk. Plus Dr. Im always does his own fills - probably because he doesn't have as many lapband patients. But I think it would have been fun to meet with you - don't get me wrong. I think I am done with fills anyway.

I'm going camping Fri-Sun at the Auburn RV Park - my kind of camping - it will just be the kids and me. I took tomorrow off as I have a 11:30 appt with my therapist and didn't want to use the gas to drive to Rancho Cordova to only be there 4 hours. My band was finicky today - part of my Breakfast tuna came up - so I skipped my lunch tuna and had half a little bag of corn nuts - and then that came up. I ended up having some corn chex with milk for dinner and that has stayed down. I am going to switch to canned chicken and see if that sits better.

Ok I have to catch up with all these posts, so I'm going to quote.

The only con I've had so far with RNY, is that I got sick off of chicken and deli meat. Even though I had eaten it just fine before. It just felt like heartburn for about 30 minutes and then I got to throw it up. I burp if I eat too much, just like lapbanders.

Other than that, I'm still tired, but that's similar with both surgeries. I can honestly say there are no other cons. I have changed my eating habits, I CAN have a bite of sweets in the future, I just have to watch the sugar intake.

I'm not sure what else you want me to say, its all in my blog at rny2009.blogspot.com, out of 7 weeks, I've only thrown up twice and it wasnt dumping. I just didn't chew well enough or ate too much. Which is similar with both surgeries.