Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Riley-Jane - you are amazing - 86lbs in so little time! Hope you're enjoying One-Derland, girlfriend, you deserve it. Tell youR friend friend, I feel her pain! But I'm going to follow your lead - "ITS ALL ABOUT ME"

LOL, yes I need pics! I hope one of the girls brings a camera to the fill meeting in Pinolek 'cause I don't eveb own one.

YES it is all about you, it HAS to be right now!! If you don't put you first, who will?? Part of the reason that we got to be obese is because we have NOT learned to put ourselves and what we need first . . . . always caretakers for others!!! We might do it for a little bit - a few weeks or monthsl when life is going smooth - but then something happens to someone we care about/for, and poof it's back to sacrificing for others again! Putting ourselves first is healthy, necessary, and it feels REALLY REALLY GOOD once we get used to it!!!

Oh Tina, the RNY smell yes I have heard of it, Robin & I were talking about it, she says it's ketosis & mostly RNY patients, when they come in 3 weeks after surgery she can smell if they are in ketosis. Ketones give off a distinctive, sorta sickly sweet odor - since I have diabetic child, I smell it easily & can tell when I am in ketosis (which is hardly ever nowadays!) without doing the urine test.

I sure do think there is something to the caretaker theory! Actually Dr. BAggs and I talked about that at my first appointment how particularly social workers don't do well with self care and how he sees alot of social workers come through Bariatrics..............I agreed with him.

But also being a single parent is sorta a selflish job. I also don't get child support or any help. My ex lives in Europe and went back home when he realized child support was part of the divorce and custody case. He also didn't like he only had supervised visits................so I truly am doing this on my own.

Riley I so hear ya about single parents. My health insrurance for my daughter is way up there too. Huge monthly expense. I think in alot of way s being single parent has made me tough though too.........I think my stubborn independance and toughness is what got me through surgery and recovery on my own!! Everyone was like you need someone at the house after surgery........ah nope I figure out how to things on my own and it always turns out ok!! So far anyway.

So anyway.............I am waiting to find out about layoffs still. Now they are saying Friday sometime!!

CAndra this whole thing with your husband is frustrating. Don't let it pull you down. Just honestly it could be a long term problem if he doesn't stop!! I would have a hard time relating to someone if I thought they say me as weak.............I hope he steps up to the plate eventually cause it is hard enough to go through all this but to live with someone noe being supportive..........that is hard!! Just check in with us :-)

Good god how stressful, Tina!! Here, they at least had spoken to everyone "affected" (i.e., likely to lose their jobs) before they announced layoffs. Then of course we go through the shuffle, folks with more seniority bumping folks with less . . . . I have a very specialized education & very specialized work, so I am PRAYING that I can exempt out . . . I know that 4 of my 5 BOSers will support me on that, but I can't say the same about my co-workers if it means that one of their "friends" gets bumped instead. . . i hate it hate it hate it!

You are right that we are fiercely independent because we're single parents - and I would not have it any other way!! At least mine are almost grown . . how old is your daughter? I know she's a teenager . . . my 21 year old was my support person, don't need anyone else!! Except you girls :-)

Edited by riley4183

Hey Riley my daughter just turned 14. So another 4 years. But my guess is that I will have more than that since I want to help her through college.........so in the end I won't have to support her forever!! LOL. She is going into her freshmen year in high school. She is a good kid but just as stubborn and independent as her mama!! LOL.

I think they sent out warnings to everyone last friday. I think Heather said she got one. Now we wait for the actual numbers of jobs gone and than let the bumping begin...........we also don't know about upper managment so there might be bumping from peers on a horizonal level but also from upper management on a vertical level............in the end I think about 600+ jobs will be lost from various departments..............but the decision was suppose to be made two weeks ago, every one monday they put it off one more week.........but layoffs are suppose to be in effect on July 4 so they better hurry up..........June 20th is 2 weeks notice.

I can't remember the last time I wanted to cry this much! but I won't - I absolutely will not give this man the satisfaction!! As my husband and I were walking tonight he let me know that he feels WLS is for the weak! Here I thougt he was being so supportive - in all actuality he's supporting my decision to lose weight because he's tired of having a fat wife but thinks I should just keep doing what I'm doing and not get banded - I can't tell you how many times I've lost weight just to gain it all back - he's always been in great shape and can maintain, therefore we all should be like him.

I'm discouraged now! and my feelings are hurt!!

Candra,

I say to hell with what your husband thinks about WLS. Please remind him that WLS is a tool and that you ARENOT going to automatically drop all your weight in an instant without work. The surgery process alone takes a lot of determination and self control. Some men get intimidated when their wives lose weight for the fear that someone may admire them. I got that from my husband, even though he was totally supportive he still reaked of jealousy lol. Girl get your weightloss on and DONOT be discouraged. We are here to support you all the way. Keep up the good work and get your surgery done. You won't regret it.

Reggie

Congratulations Riley for reaching "onederland" It must feel good.

I hope all you girls are well. Sheena don't feel bad the scale will start moving I have been at 276 for the past week and half. I'm on stage IV now so I hope it will start moving.

Thanks, Ladies, for your support! I have been stressed and is shows - I've gained 1.5 pounds and don't even know how - I haven't strayed from my "diet' at all - well - i have been drinking crystal light alot more than Water and, regardless what the containers say - each servings as just shy of 1 carb - so eight servings is real close to 8 carbs - i just don't do well with them! Goodness, diet coke, americano's, my caffeine and now my crystal light -grrrr!

anyway, Reggie, you touched on something! I've actually lost 4 inches in my waist and I don't know if it's my confidence level or what but my husband made a comment the day before he called me weak when we were at the grocery store about some man "looking" at his "wife". Maybe that's what triggered it! I mean, He had been so supportive and talking about 12lbs to go, 11lbs to go and so on... and then suddenly I'm "weak". Hmmmm??

How's your husband doing with it all now? Since you've lost weight?

Maybe I should've been a single mom - make me tough! you know?

Candra,

He watches me like a hawk. Some men are like kids, you need to reassure him that this about your health then vanity. I had to read my husband the riot act the day before my case manager meeting because he accused me of talking to a male friend from high school. That put a stop to the foolishness. It will all be well once they realize that we are not going to be fat wives forever:-).

Candra you are so close to goal, I say work on getting under 205 and get your surgery date. You actually lost 8lbs between the time that you saw the surgeon and your psych appointment, girl you've got this !!!!!!! Go on!

Edited by reggie71

I am a single mom too. I have 14 and 12 year old sons and a 9 year old daughter. I have always been single - all three kids are from anonymous sperm donors. So I do it all - most of the time pretty good. I met with the psychologist at Kaiser this morning for about 45 minutes. She suggested I read "The Beck Diet Solution" by Judith S. Beck. She also suggested a stress class and/or the Solution for Weight Management class at Kaiser. I am seeing her again on the 29th. I go back to Richmond on the 25th - hopefully I will get a fill but I am not counting on it.

Sometimes being married makes you tough too!! LOL. I was married and with my ex for almost 10 years. And that make me tough too and also very happily divorced!! He used to be so jealous I think it is a guy thing. But with me he watched my wait and gave me hell if I gained waight never mind keeping me fat. I was pretty thin when I was with him but he always was on me about being to fat............

ANyway on the other hand he was also accusing me of wanting to leave and cheat all the time. Sign of insecurity and maybe "the man doeth protest to much" since he had a weight problem and a cheating problem too!! LOL.

So anyway I have been on both sides. Right now I am very happily single...........

Ok what is this Beck Diet Solution I need to read it. I ordered a new Lap band book and waiting for it to arrive...........

Heather you surviving? I found out CPS is laying off social workers, supervisors, office workers and upper managment today. No actual names but we got an email warning us it will happen this week or next at the lastest and to get ready.