Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

LOL Candy!! They kept thinking I was gastric bypass too...........I had to keep reminding them. I sorta thought you guys are trying to brainwash me into this whole gastric bypass thing!! LOL.

6:30 was my time as well. I got there but had to wait until 7:15 or so until they called my name. There were alot of elderly people there that morning and they went into pre op first. I kept asking everyone if they were nervous and was walking around talking to people. I think I scared one older lady because she told me "you should be nervous too!!" LOL. I told her I was and I talk alot when I get nervous. Needless to say they got everyone out of the waiting room before me.........I think so I could not keep talking and make everyone else nervous!! LOL.

I got changed into this enormous gown that wrapped around me twice. A word of advise don't double knot anything!! LOL. Dr. Baggs could not undo the gown and told me he just felt like getting scissors when he saw all my double knots!! LOL. I had to double knot to keep it on me!! You also get this superman cape that is huge to go over your.

Than you get to sit in a recliner. Quite nice I liked it. Than you get warm blankets, again very nice!! Than you swallow some very sour liquid, get your heparin shot (didn't hurt at all) than the IV. That didn't hurt but I was bruised when I got home. Than I got a bolus in my IV which is fluids I guess..............next thing I know they want me to go to the bathroom before surgery. Well the gown almost tripped me so I had to strip naked to use the bathroom than put it all back on again!! I had ICY as a nurse and was trying to ask her if she remembered Christine and Nicole...........she thought she might!!

Within 15 minutes all this was done. Dr. Baggs came out and we talked a bit at 7:30 than the anthesialogist at 7:45............than both of them asking a million questions and joking around. They told me to relax and I figured hey I have 20 minutes and got out ITOUCH to play a game.........I never even got to turn it on because they were back telling me it was time to go. I went into surgery at 7:50. I was out before 8am.

I could not take my glasses with me so I was blind as a bat in the OR. Probably better because Dr. Bags was cleaning something sharp in the corner.............I told him I was glad I could not see what he was doing without my glasses and he laughed.............again I talk alot when I am nervous!!

The only weird thing was that as soon as you get in the OR they start to undo your gown and that was sorta weird. For me it took awhile because of my double knots.....but I must of looked at them weird because Dr. Baggs was trying to explain what he was doing. I told him good luck I knotted them good. He said I am just gonna have to get the scissor!! He said he was no good at double knots and when frustration kicked in he resorted to his scissors. I just told him as long as they were sterile I was ok with that.

We all joked around about how I had watched the whole 45 minute surgery online the night before!! I asked Dr. Baggs if he was gonna tilt the talble upward (weird so your like half standing up during surgery) and he laughed and said "the things you see on youtube nowdays.......but he laughed and said yea we are gonna do that............I told him I thought I would fall off and he laughed and said that is why we are belting you onto the table.............I never noticed but they do secure you down. Sorta like your going on a ride somewhere..........

The nurse in OR was really cool. SHe was really gentle moved slow and was really concerned I was comfortable. I liked her.................

After that I put on my IPOD and they were asking me if they were talking to loud for me to hear the music, joking around. I asked them to be a little quieter and laughed and that was all I remember..........

Next thing I remember I was in recover and trying to get that crazy mask off my face. I couldn't breath because there was chest pressure and I figured I had wandered into the jungle and had an elephant on my chest..........the anesthioligist was telling the nurse she was fine and than she got scared............I don't know what happened. Lucky for me I thought they were talking about the person next to me so I didn't worry to much. Just had to breathe really slowly and find my happy place!! If I thought to much about breathing it hurt more and was harder to breathe I also didn't know that I would be numb from the neck down for an hour or so............that scared me. So just a heads up it takes awhile for the medication to wear off!! Just sleep away..................

I got pain meds twice. The nurse let me have a nose mask and took off that face mask once the doctor left!! :-) She kept telling them to leave and when they did she told me I will change this for you. I could breath alot better after that!! She was great. She just kept telling me relax your fine, and was really cool. I liked her alot............I also was nasaeous and got anti nasaue medication twice than once before I left to drive home.

I was awake by 10:45am. As soon as my eyes were open they got me in a wheelchair and away I went to radiation. My head was wobbling and I really slept most of the way down. Barium swallow was really not to bad. I slept through it all!! LOL. Tasted like cherry to me and really not to bad. They let my mom go with me to radiation.

Than back to the recliner in the pre op room to wait for the doctor and discharge. I slept for 45 minutes until they came. HE was finishing up a bypass. They told me things were fine to come back in 6 weeks............gave me pain meds and my work release...............Dr. Baggs told me he talked to me mom about he surgery and she had my pictures.........yep you get pictures of your liver,gallbladder, and stomach with and without the band..............Dr Baggs kept teasing me becuase I could n't wake up.............he kept laughing because my eyes were closed but I told him my mind was working and "someone was home." But actually I didn't hear much of what he said...................just remember him laughing at my comments............The nurse had me get dressed. Which I started to do in the middle of the room. I was so tired I didn't care who was there but the she shut the curtains (so unlike me normally!! How embarrassing).....I almost fell over getting my underwear on!! LOL. I could n't bend right................but I made it. Almost knocked over the curtain trying to balance......I had to sorta hop into my pants. (wear baggy pants with an elastric waist and a baggy shirt)

The only bad thing was the bypass patient behind me was sitting next to me and she asked me if I had the band and if I was ok.............I told her I feel like throwing up and I can't bend anything!! Her eyes got huge and she didn't make any more eye contact with me......didn't ask me another question. I am sure I made her feel better about her upcoming surgery;-) an advantage of being first!!

Than wheeled out to my mom's car and was asleep before we pulled out. I slept al the way home. Got home at 3pm. Slept until about midnight and more pain meds.................slept for about three days only getting up for a couple of hours at a time to drink and get more pain meds. I was a wimp I know, I know.................but I love to sleep!!

Second and third day were the worst. I thought I was stupid to to this to myself by choice. Also the pain meds made me a bit loopy which didn't help. It hurt and I didn't feel like eating or drinking anything.The gas pain was the worst part of the whole thing. I thought I would pop there for a couple of days!! By a week I was feeling like I would survive it and the pain meds were pretty much gone except for nighttime.................

Ok yes I did weigh too. 5 pounds up the day of surgery!! OMG. Than the next day down 11 pounds. So I lost that 5 and another 6 right away.................

Now almost three weeks out. Just the port hurts and not sharp pain but more of a tugging, tight feeling like it is healing ....................

So candy hope that helps walk you through it. Honestly it was not bad and having all the attention of all the medical staff was sorta nice. I am usually the caretaker so it was nice to be on the other side. Relax and enjoy it!! I soaked it all in and felt nice!!

Best of Luck to Candy and than Reggie!!

Edited by swrktp

THanks Tina!!!! THat was awesome!!!! It really helps to know what is going to happen....and I'm like you always taking care of others...so I am looking forward to being pampered.....and girlfirend.....SLEEP....I am SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO lacking in that department with 2 small kids...I am looknig forward to the rest....

THanks again I really appreciate it!!!

I am 5'5 and I also noticed we started out about the same. See I only had to lose 12 pounds to get surgery and same with you.............I think there is some formula when your BMI is lower. I know alot of people had to lose 25-35 first. I felt extremely lucky but sometimes I think starting out lower is why I lose so slow.

Ok I went to the Thrift store today and bought 5 pairs of size 18 pants for 25 dollars. Surprizing how nice they are...........I can't believe I am in an 18 again!! I am gonna wear the same big shirts for awhile but the size 20 pants were really getting to big. (bringing them to the next meeting).............I think until I get down to goal I am gonna just keep going back to the thrift store for every size down .............25 dollars is great and hopefully I will only wear them for 4-6 weeks than be down to a 16 by July or so.................................

Have a great weekend all!!!

Edited by swrktp

Hi Ladies:D

candy you can read my surgery story on my blog, i had no nausea, I didnt get the pill u guys got.. ops from the nurse.. but they gave me IV nausea meds.. and they worked. Didn't feel it till i tried taking a shower.... I also could bend:) So dont worry.

Oh my i am so glad you didnt let them keep yacking. Also in the or i would remind dr baggs this is a band procedure, lol make him laugh:D

Congrats on the new pants isnt it wonderful!!!

My pain meds post op and nasuea meds were all by IV too.....which is nice because they kick in really quick once they give them to you.

When I got to recovery I was like a 7 on the pain scale. They gave me meds immediately and I went to 5 ............than when i said I was a five she gave me more meds...........probably why I was so sleepy!! But it was a good sleepy............relaxing.

candy be aware I was allergic to some of the medication which is why my breathing was so off when I woke up. I am exception. Most people don't have to deal with that. It didn't help that I panicked at first......I have no idea why obvious something did scare me. I am asking Dr. Baggs at the fill what exactly happened. I am afraid it could be embarrassing though!! LOL. I worry about what I could have said or done!! I just hope my gown was on if I was making some kind of a scene or argueing with them about the face mask!!

Today I am feeling restriction. And I measured everything.....some of the 18's are snugger than I am used to.........I like the loose 20's..........so I am anxious to get down a bit more and have baggy 18's................I am still in shock the 18's fit my mind is telling me I wear a 20 so I didn't try 18's on until a few days ago. Like Nicole was saying sometimes it is hard to see the change in yourself, I still see myself in 20's...........................weird mind trips!!

Nicole any word about the job yet??

Edited by swrktp

Hi Everyone, Reggie, great pep talk, I appreciate it :) Tina, Thanks for posting your o.r. experience. It takes the nerves away when you know what to expect!! Possible dumb question... why do you go to radiology after surgery??

by the way, my name is Candra

Hi Candra! Nice to meet you!

After surgery you'll be in recovery for a couple hours. Than they wheel you downstairs to the radiology dept to do what they call a "barium swallow". They have you stand up on this platform up against the xray table and while they watch you on a monitor you take a couple sips of barium, this thick fruity, chalky stuff. They watch on the monitor as you swallow it and make sure that it goes through the band fast enough but not too fast. It only takes a few minutes and then they whell you back up into recovery.

Good luck to you! I'm excited to hear about your journey.

Hey Candra.....so happy to have you here!! This is an amazing group of women....in a short time I have made friends that I'm sure I will have for a life time!!!!

So not only do you get all the ups and downs our journeys and how similiar they all are (yet so different :thumbdown:) but you get a great group of ladies!!!!

Trust me I should know...I had my orientation on March 3rd and am having surgery on Monday...yah as in this Monday...Crazy huh!!!!

Ask away though, anything I can help answer!!!!

candy I think what your going through is normal........this is a huge change. If you were'nt thinking about it and a bit worried........than you would be a crazy woman!!

Girl your totally normal, just sit back and enjoy the ride. Happy, stressed, sad, excited it is all a part of the process!! Enjoy it all...................

I hear ya I have also been sorta all over emotionally the last few days and I am 3 weeks post op. There have been a lot of changes for me in the last four months and I think everything going so fast and changing so much has been overwhelming at times. I am finally getting time off from work to just think and process everything. I am so glad I did this but I think all the changes have me a bit moody the last few days. Lots of new things but also lots of goodbyes the last few months. Still mourning my love affair with diet coke!!! LOL.

So Candy girl I totally get you. We are normal not crazy. Big changes, great changes are in store..........but also lots of goodbyes.

Normal to be emotional about everything!!

Thinking of you and confident that all will go well on Monday!! You are almost a bandster now!! :-)

Edited by swrktp

Thanks Tina....your right!!!

It was funny last night we got subway and I got a diet soda....never been much of a soda drinker, here and there....but I told my hubby this is the last one for ever and you would have thought someone slapped me in the face.....he told me that was so normal because forever is a long time no matter what it is, but that the reward from not having so out ways the soda!! :thumbdown:

I watched this thing on the internet last night on WLSchannel.com its called Melting Mama....I don't know if you have seen it, but the lady is so funny!!!! She had gastric bypass but she talks about all the changes you go through after weightloss surgery......if you haven't watched it check it out.....there is alot of stuff on that web sight that I found enteresting!!!

I have also been thinking the last couple of days about the emotional part of it.....the attention that I will get and strange it will all be!!! My life is about to change in a major way!!!

Thank goodness I have you all to turn to!!!! ;)

Hey Tina...this is my emial address dispatch_punk@yahoo.com.......if you would like can you email me your phone number? It's totally up to you....no hurt feelings if you don't want to....but the more contacts I have for after the better!!! :blink:

candy I am so excited for you! You're gonna be awesome and after tomorrow you will be so glad you did it even when you're in pain!

The emotional part is normal, I am still mourning soda, Pasta, rice and bread and probably will. But giving that stuff is so worth being a healthy skinny bitch! LOL!!!

I find myself feeling kindof bitter when people are eating things that I love and can't have but I know that will get better when l can eat real food again.

Luckily we all have each other to vent to and make us remember why we did his and how RIGHT of a decision this was.

Love all you girls! You are the only people in my life that can 100% understand all that I am feeing right now and that is priceless to me! (((hugs)))

Thanks girl!!!!!

Ok.......This milk of magcrap has done nothing but make me nauseas......and I dont understand why we even have to take it so early the morning before surgery.....whatever!!!

Ok well we are heading out...dropping the kids of my parents and headed to Emeryville!!!!!Pray for me!!!! I know it will be good...

Thanks for all of your support......don'y know how I could have done this without all of you!!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See yah on the band side....

Hey, Chris we love you too! This group is marvelous! I can't say enough about our generosity with each other. Ok am I lost or do we have Candra and candy? ?? LOL. Me and my weight is Candy and Desperate is Candra? please help lol.