Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

whos is the bariatric educater? Is that the nutritionist? I really don't need that appointment I could probably teach her a few things!! LOL. I just don't follow what I know. I hope they let me skip some steps. I have done so much research on the lap band that orientation was actually a bit of a bore.

Our class was argueing about smoking and alcohol. Also gum chewing!! We got out late by the way!! LOL

LOL, we can all teach them a thing or two at this point.

My class argued about smoking and alcohol as well. I must say it got on my last nerves. The thing is if they can't give give those few things up then this is not the program for them.lol

And if they drop out than more appointments will open up sooner!! LOL. I know I was tired of hearing it all. Weird thing was a client of mine was at the orientation from way back. She was the one doing the most argueing and I found it very interesting to watch. Oh course I knew way more than I could ever say and unless things have really changed she shouldn't have been there. I sat in the back and left first at the end. I wasn't sure if she would remember me or not but I knew her as soon as she started to talk and talk and talk.................LOL. Small world. Way to small!!

I was told that about 90% of the people who go to the orientation don't continue on with the process. I had my surgery Aug 26 and my first post-op appointment wasn't until Oct 6 and I got my first fill. You don't go back until 6 weeks after surgery. I did get a phone call from the surgery nurse the day after I got home checking on me and then calls from Robin when it was time to go to the next food phase. I sometimes wonder if it is a good thing to get through the process really fast - it is a life long change in they way we eat and what we eat - I think most of us need time for that to set in. Also they want to make sure we understand that and that we are good candidates for surgery. Obviously they don't want us to have other bad health habits (smoking, drinking etc) - why would they pay to fix one health issue if we have habits that will cause another health issue.

Momcof3, How are you doing with your food intake? Do you really feel as full as they say?

I think slow is good for long term change, but crawling is a just a bit to slow for me. I actually started this process last June so it has been awhile for me. I wanted to give it one last try before I made this step and went through the weight watchers..........which is great .........but I can't get motivated enough to get lower than 25 pounds before the hunger does me in.

I am debating the RNY just because I worry that the band might not get rid of the hunger and that does me in every time. But I want to talk to the surgeon before I decide.

Definetelly prefer band for other reason but hearing alot of problems with the band if your not super disciplined and all the long term appointments has me worried.

I dontknow who she is. It was not the nutrition chick. They said it would take 30 min, and it was a weight check, and to look over my tests and something else, but dr baggs thought it was repetitive and not needed. I think they are trying to empty up the case managers schedule and thinks that is how??? Idk

whos is the bariatric educater? Is that the nutritionist? I really don't need that appointment I could probably teach her a few things!! LOL. I just don't follow what I know. I hope they let me skip some steps. I have done so much research on the lap band that orientation was actually a bit of a bore.

Our class was argueing about smoking and alcohol. Also gum chewing!! We got out late by the way!! LOL

I have my appt with the kaiser surgeon next week. Anything I should be prepared for? Thanks, Tera

My appt with Dr. Fisher (my surgeon) was pretty quick and painless, only about 15 minutes. I thought I'd have to have a gown on so he could feel my stomach or something but he didn't examine me at all! It was easy. He told me I could sit on the exam table or the chair...I chose the chair. :thumbup:

We talked about both surgeries, he asked which one I wanted and why, he agreed that Lapband was best for me and told me I needed to get down to 270 and then he would schedule me for surgery.

I didn't have many questions for him, only a couple. He was really nice and patient and I feel very secure with him being my surgeon.

Good luck at your appt! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Who is your surgeon? Has has this process gone for you so far?

It was painless, and easy:D

I met with dr baggs, id say the most nerve wracking moment was the blood pressure cuff, lol, it lasted forever..

He let me sit where i wanted, asked which surgery i wanted, showed me a band, talked about the dangers, asked my hubby what he thought, was HAPPY to see my hubby even though mike was MR NEGATIVE, then said ok let me try to schedule u with the case manager. (I was there the 2nd,and nobody else was working)

I had to end up calling monday.

ONLY ADVICE, try to be at goal:D AND ask questions.

Tera when did you go to orientation? How long tell you got an appointment? Do you know who you get for a surgeon? I would love to hear how it goes and what you next step is? Seems like the process is a bit different for everyone and the appointments sequence is different for everyone.

Since I am having to wait so long I just might be at my 10% by my next appointment :-)

Momcof3, How are you doing with your food intake? Do you really feel as full as they say?

At this point (I have 4 cc in a 10cc band), I am still hungry before it is time to eat my next meal. I am hopefully going to get my 2nd fill at my appt with Dr. Im on Jan 16 and maybe that will help. I eat Breakfast at about 7 am (usually 2 hardboiled eggs mixed with mayo and mustard) and I am starving by 11 am - so I eat my lunch (1/3 cup deli roast beef today and 5 wheat thins) - then unfortunately I am starving when I get home from work about 3 pm so I usually eat a few wheat thins or a handful of peanuts which will hold me until dinner at about 5:30 - which last night was 1/3 c chili and one turkey hot dog cut up in it. I was hungry before I went to bed at 9:30 but went to bed that way. I pray a second fill will help this as it is getting harder to not snack. I drink my 64 oz of Water a day, but try to not drink too much in the evening so I don't have to get up during the night.