Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many of you Bandsters have Dr's that want to keep fill amounts a secret???

I was just wondering if anyone elses Dr. doesn't like to tell how much of a fill they give their pateints? My Dr says that an amount of a fill a person has doesn't really matter because everyone is so different in the amount of a fill it takes to give them restriction. I've had 2 fills and still don't know how much is in my band. I would really like to know just for general knowledge... Has anyone else had this happen to them? Whats the big secret anyway its my body and I have the right to know.What do you all think??

Wow. That is really rude !! You absolutely should know. You need to let them know it is not an option and to tell you NOW !!

I do think it is important. I have never had my doctor not tell me.

Your health is YOUR business. It's not fair for your doctor to keep any information from you. You have the right to be informed. I don't understand how keeping it a secret benefits anyone. All he needs to say is "don't go by what anyone else said, fills are customized to the person...your band has xx cc's of Fluid."

Okay, I had my first post op checkup with my doc and I was struck, again, at how arrogant he is. He's a GREAT surgeon but bedside manner SUCKS. Doctors are funny people.......

My doctor says exactly what your doc says. The only reason I know how much I have in is because everytime he finishes and goes back into his room with the next patient I ask the secretary :D

I WANT to know for my own reasons...but am too scared to fight him on it, so asking the secretary who happily tells me everytime is fine with me.

You have a right to know what is going in your body. The nerve of him. He would never give you a pill and not inform you of what you are taking. Imagine, "Now just shut up and take this pill....you don't need to know what it is.." He wouldn't be able to get by with this. As a nurse, I want my patients to be informed of everything...this helps to keep us both straight.

I'm just finishing up my checklist...hope to be banded soon. By the way, I will insist on being informed of everything they do to me.

Hi Jamie,

Unfortunately, my doctor's office responded the same way yours did. I ask the Head Nurse at my first fill, what size is my band and how much fill are you going to give me, she snapped her head around and said to me, "Why do you need to know" and I snapped my head at her and said "I have a RIGHT to know what is in my body and how much fill you are giving me", after that she responded. I was thinking why would she be so secretive, maybe it's a mental thing, they want us to think we are tighter then we are or don't want to give us an inch, in case we want to eat. Because being an overeater we know all the tricks of the trade....I still am curious also.

Corgi

My doctor says the same thing, and I totally see his point. The actual amount of Fluid in one's band IS completely irrelevant. As an academic matter sure, we have the "right" to know, but we can't help drawing conclusions based on a number that our doctors know is absolutely meaningless.

It is a piece of information that actually matters about as much as our shoe size, yet we are drawn to making health decisions (like whether we need more) based on it. It's practically impossible to have no reaction to the number; it might even influence our behavior or attitude if the number is higher or lower than we think it "ought" to be. So I can understand the reasoning behind not revealing the exact amount to the patient at the time of the fill.

There are only three fill amounts: too little, too much, and just right.

It's not irrelevant for self-knowledge...it's only irrelevant in comparison to anyone else.

At some point in our lives, someone else might need to access our ports...what if there's a tubing kink and they think they've unfilled everything but they haven't and the band really needs to be totally unfilled? If you don't know there was 2.2cc in there, you wont' know that .6cc coming out doesn't match.

My surgeon would never dream of thinking it was inappropriate for me to have information that directly applies to my medical care.

Nancy

That is a remote possibility, I guess. But in a case like that, relying on the patient's memory wouldn't be the way to go anyway. If it really mattered how much Fluid was in the band I'd hope someone would contact the surgeon and ask.

My doctor's thinking is, I guess, that the specific amount of Fluid in the band is not "information that directly applies to [our] medical care." In any sort of medical emergency the really important thing is that we can indicate that we HAVE a band at all. The precise amount of fluid in it is not a number that will matter in any real way at any time. Only the effect of the fill--whether it's too tight or not--is what matters.

I trust my doctor enough to think that he really knows what he's doing on this point. If, in your example, there were some fluid left over, what's the harm as long as it's not obstructing the patient's ability to eat or drink? If it were important to TOTALLY EMPTY the band in some medical situation--as opposed to loosening it enough to serve the purposes--then I'd expect more doctors would feel it important that we are aware of that.

Alex

I had a fill with Dr Bertha last week and I expected him not to tell me the amount. Was I surprised when he did! I laughed and told him that he was known as a no tell doc. He laughed and said he gave up on that as long as we wouldn't be comparing our fill with someone elses. SO I left knowing that I have 4.1 cc's in the band. It did not kick in for a week. Had some swelling restriction for 48hrs then nothing. However 5 days later it is back!

Barbara, that's so funny! At least he cautioned you against comparing your fill with other people's.

I'm guessing you have the larger band? :D Hope to see you next week!

Hey everybody,

Sorry I'm just now getting back to this thread. Thank you all for your coments and I think it has helped me realize at least my Dr. isn't the only one that doesn't tell fill amounts. I feel I have the right to know .... but can also see Alexandras point and I really appreciate you all responding to this thread. I fell better knowing that I'm not alone in this!!! Thank you all!!!!