Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should a fill be my choice?

Help!!! I was banded on June 9 with an Inamed and have had no fills since my surgery. After my swelling went down, what restriction I thought I had went away. I have only lost 1 lb. in the past 4 weeks and I keep going up and down a pound or two.

I just called my doctor's office and asked if he would give me a fill at my appointment on Monday. I was asked if it was a "fill appointment". I told them it was my 7 week follow-up. They said that he probably wouldn't give me a fill and that he'll want to assess the situation before he gives me anything. I'm so angry because I had this surgery so I wouldn't have to starve myself or feel hungry all the time. My doctor thinks I should have restriction even without a fill. He told me that he has one patient who's just over 6 months with no fill and still has awesome restriction--well good for her, but I don't!!!! Can I demand a fill? And what do I do if he still won't give me one?

Tricia H

Every person is different. If you are not losing weight then you most likely need a fill. Usually after 6 weeks they will recommend that you get your first fill. I think it should be your choice. Are you paying for your fills or was it included in the surgery price?

The fills were included in my price for the first year with my doctor and two fills at the hospital if I needed fluoro were included for the hospital's part of the package. Everybody is different and I don't think that because one of his patients still feels restriction after 6 months that I should still feel restriction too.

I hate the whole assessment part of his answer. What's there to assess? If I don't have restriction, then I don't have restriction!!!

Hi Angiebell,

I too had surgery with Dr. Powell and exactly 4 weeks later had my first fill. I'm totally starving as I write and have put back on 2 lbs.

I don't know how much fill I received - it seemed he didn't want to discuss it - I called this past Monday the 18Th to schedule another fill, but I'm a Medicare patient and have to go to a different facility (not SCOR) than other folks. I.m gertting pretty depressed to be so hungry, not losing anyway and can't get an appointment set up - ok, feel better - whined a little.

I'm sure in the long run I will be fine, just so discouraged right now.

Dixie

Every person is different. If you are not losing weight then you most likely need a fill. Usually after 6 weeks they will recommend that you get your first fill. I think it should be your choice. Are you paying for your fills or was it included in the surgery price?

I would call the doctor and tell him you are ready for your fill. Did the contract state that the fills only could be done in certain timeframes. If not, you paid so you should decide.

DixieDallas,

I know what you mean about needing another fill. I am so ready for another one. I weighed this morning and I am at 168. I should be closer to 160 by now. I get my new insurance on Aug 1st and I am going to schedule a fill right away. I hope you find a good facility to do your fills soon!

You might want to remind him that YOU paid for this surgery and you intend to get what you came for, which is restriction via a restrictive surgery. It is common knowledge that MOST people do not have restriction right off the bat and you aren't interested in wasting the first year finding that out. Mine wanted to try it without a fill either, but I reminded him I was billed a year's wages for my surgery and I intended to get what I came for and in a timely manner. Sometimes, they forget who's employing who...

Leatha & Angiebell -

Thank you for your comments. I feel the same way--I paid him $17,000 and the only stipulation was that I had to wait 6-8 weeks for the first fill. If I was gaining weight, then I could understand assessing the situation, but I'm not. I'm maintaining even though I'm always hungry!! I didn't pay all that money to go on discipline and willpower alone!! I am going to call again today and demand to at least be able to talk to him and not his office staff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tricia H

Doc's office never had the doctor return my phone call so I called back again today. They said he was in surgery all day today and wouldn't be in the office at all so I'm going in to my appointment on Monday and demanding a fill. I paid him for a year's worth of fills and since a fill won't hurt me, I don't see how he can say no!!

Actually, a fill could hurt you if you are not completely healed.

If you are hungry, EAT. Why make yourself suffer??? The band isn't about deprivation.

The mantra that people need to internalize is that the inbetween time is for healing. Weight loss is bonus. I gained weight in the in-between time. Sure, I was bummed, but I didn't let it ruin my life.

Some people are ready for a fill sooner than others. You said that you knew you had to weight 6-8 weeks before a fill, right? Well, 7 weeks is well within that time frame, and if you have to wait another week to make sure you are healed, then why the fuss?

This isn't a race. There is no schedule. Trying to force it will only make you cranky, crazy and disapointed.

Guest j. lynn

Help!!! I was banded on June 9 with an Inamed and have had no fills since my surgery. After my swelling went down, what restriction I thought I had went away. I have only lost 1 lb. in the past 4 weeks and I keep going up and down a pound or two.

I just called my doctor's office and asked if he would give me a fill at my appointment on Monday. I was asked if it was a "fill appointment". I told them it was my 7 week follow-up. They said that he probably wouldn't give me a fill and that he'll want to assess the situation before he gives me anything. I'm so angry because I had this surgery so I wouldn't have to starve myself or feel hungry all the time. My doctor thinks I should have restriction even without a fill. He told me that he has one patient who's just over 6 months with no fill and still has awesome restriction--well good for her, but I don't!!!! Can I demand a fill? And what do I do if he still won't give me one?

Tricia H

Dang - you're putting the cart before the horse. You're already mad at him for not giving you a fill when you don't know that he won't. Calm down.

Fact is: he's the doctor. He's done this before. He isn't new at this. He wants you to succeed too. You don't want to use fills as a crutch...but a tool. From the FACTS you gave, it does sound like you need a fill. But he doesn't know those facts yet. Be calm, cool, and collected at your appointment. It WILL happen.

jayme

Thank you all for your responses and concern. I know I sound uptight, but I am more frustrated that I can never reach him. I have to talk to his office clerks of whom one of them is new, and the others all told me different stories about whether he'd even be willing to give me a fill or not.

Like I mentioned earlier. He thinks that because he has another lap band patient who is six months out and still has restriction, that I should as well. That's just not the way it works. I am willing to wait if I'm not healed, but I don't want to be filled or not filled based on his other patients' and not my own experience. And actually, he is kind of new at the lap band thing. He hasn't done a whole lot of lap band surgeries, he mostly performs RNY's. I have already made adjustments to my attitude to prepare myself if he doesn't give me a fill. I have started the "plateau buster" that Donali posted some time ago. It's a ten day, absolutely no carbs, plan and I'm still tracking calories in and getting 45+ minutes of exercise a day, 6 days a week.

Thanks again,

Tricia

No. Fills should be decided by both patient and surgeon after a discussion. They should not be "on demand" by the patient because that's an excellent way to get too tight. The discussion should include what and how much you're eating, hunger levels, exercise, etc.

Office staff cannot tell you if you'll be getting a fill or not...they are neither the doctor nor the patient. So just go to your appointment and talk about it.

Nancy

394/270/180

I hate the whole assessment part of his answer. What's there to assess? If I don't have restriction, then I don't have restriction!!!

Whoa, whoa, whoa...he's a doctor and a professional and he needs to take stock of the entire situation before making ANY decision. His job it to look out for your health. Like j. lynn said, you're mad at him before you even know.

I had my first post op appointment, my dr and I talked. He said I can't have a fill until 6 weeks but he agreed I need a fill. He told his office assistant "schedule her for a fill". So she called the main office to make the appointment....and she said to them..."this is for a potential fill". See? Even tho my doctor already agreed I need a fill he will STILL assess the situation when we meet in two weeks to determine whether or not a fill is appropriate.

Patience, grasshopper.

Okay. Here's the deal. I was frustrated that I couldn't get the same answer from anyone I spoke to in the doctor's office. His office staff does give the information for him and they all told me different things. I just wanted to be able to speak with him, but never could.

I know my post came across as impatient, but actually, I have not felt any restriction for almost 5 weeks. I am to the point of feeling desperate. I just came here to vent my feelings because I thought that's what this whole site was about. I have since read other posts pleading for answers and advice, they too felt discouraged and desperate and I was honestly seeking help. I am only trying to stand up for myself and get what I paid for. I didn't pay $17,000 to be hungry all the time, starve myself or return to taking diet pills.

After seeing the doctor today, he agreed that I need a fill and told me to schedule it for this week. He wanted to do it under fluoro. Well that was the easy part. Now, I'm getting this run around from the office staff again about the issues in scheduling a fill with him and the hospital and how if he's late then I'll have to reschedule....... and now I might not be able to be filled for another 3+ weeks and that's only if the doctor isn't late on that day.

I still think a fill should be your choice. You know your body. I just called the fill center and scheduled my second fill and I didn't even have to ask my doctor for his okay. Totally MY choice. I have restriction but not like I did after my first fill. I work with the people at the fill center and tell them what type of restriction I am looking for and asked them not to be too agressive and my last experience was great. Good Luck with your fill. I hope it all works out for you.