Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

things you wished you wouldve known..

so i havent met with the surgeon yet and i have a educational class i have to go to on august 1st where we get to learn about the lap band and ask questions so i am posing this question to anyone who would like to respond...

what question do you wish you wouldve asked before you got banded or what question do you have after you got banded that you cant find an answer to?

i would like to compile a list of questions together to take to both places so i feel totally knowledged and maybe someone has some questions i havent thought of...thanks :)

Rachael,

I love your question. I just wanted to say hi. I am about in the same place as you. I have my seminar to go to on July 23. I am looking forward to to getting this journey going. Anyway I just wanted to say hi. Sorry no answers to your questions. Good luck

Beth

Way to bump, good job!

Let's see. Looking back, I wasn't surprised by anything, thanks to LBT. I wish I had known/realized just how small a small sip would be. I wish I didn't have the tendancy to push my band, just to see how hard it's going to bite back. I wish I had known how to listen to my band better. I wish I had never opened that V-8 on day 4 after surgery. Too acidic!!

I guess I would find out about the post-op menu and post-op follow-up schedule. I would find out what band your doc anticipates you having, although he/she won't decide until your surgery. What will your first fill look like? In other wrods, catch the surgeons vision for you...know what I mean? Also, will you be doing the pre-op liguid diet?

Hmmm, if I think of more I'll post. Good question!

I think all my questions were answered before the surgery. Right now after the surgery, I am having a burning sensation in my chest. Everytime I burp it hurts and burns. I called the Doctor yesterday and they said I need to go in for an Upper GI to see whats going on. I am taking my nexium everyday and making sure I have that in me. So not sure whats up. When I find out I will let you know. I would ask if it is common to have a burning sensation in your chest after surgery? Probably not but just to see what they come up with.

Angie

Ok, so I sat down and brainstormed out questions to take to my doctor for our initial consultation. Even tho my doctor is pretty damn impatient, he did answer all of them. Between my interrogation of him AND all of the research I did online I actually felt pretty prepared.

Don't know if this will help, but here was that list of questions. Some of them seem pretty naive now, but they were honest questions at the time and a lot of them brought up other questions.

How long does the procedure take?

Awake or fully unconscious?

What is the pain factor?

How long is recovery in hospital? After? How long until back at work?

What is the probability that my system will reject the device?

Do I have to have someone to be there when I leave the hospital and at home to care for me?

Are there things I can do in advance to better my chances of a successful procedure?

What is the probability of infection at the port site?

How far under the skin is the port?

How many of this procedure do you do per year?

What are the main factors for success in this procedure?

What is the success rate for your patients? I hear 35% to 50% of excess weight lost. Is this only first year results?

What sort of diet is recommended after?

What are the biggest problems your patients encounter?

How many fills are normally required in the first year? Thereafter?

Should I coordinate this with my primary doctor even tho my HMO won't cover the operation?

What size meals can I honestly expect? Tiny one egg meals like bypass or more volume?

Does this procedure help with sugar cravings or just cravings in general?

Does feeling more full more often also help stabilize insulin reaction? ie will I get as hungry and lightheaded as I do when I only eat a tiny meal now?

What things would you consider I should know in this decision?

How long does the device last? Does it begin to break down? Does it get replaced over time or will one device continue to last?

How many of these have you done? It seems fairly new and most people have gone to other countries to have this done.

Lap band not Swedish band, correct?

If while placing the band, the need to proceed to an open incision presents itself, can this be accomplished?

What is the band made of?

What is the process to undergo leading up to the actual surgery?

How long does it take?

What is process post surgery? (liquids for two weeks, etc)

Concerned about doing this out of my normal health care route. If issues, will they refuse service? Where do I go from there?

This is lap band and not Vertical-Banded Gastroplasty, correct?

I asked similiar questions...here are some of mine that i didn't see already listed or that were a bit different.

In your opinion what is the difference between a lapbander at goal and one struggling with the band?

How soon can I return to weight lifting? ( I was told 2 weeks, so I'm thrilled :) )

Will the port interfer with any of my ab workouts?

Have you had anyone have revison surgery from a lap band to another wls...and in your view was this band failure or non compliance.

I have others but the actual paper I wrote them all isn't here right now, will post more later.

Melissa

Thanks...all Of These Are Great Questions And Many I Have Not Thought Of Myself...i Look Forward To Hearing What The Answers Are And I Will Share Them With You All...keep Posting If Anyone Thinks Of Anymore!!!!

One of the things that made my journy a little different than most is that my DH was banded nearly 2 years before I was, so I lived with the band before I was banded.