Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NoVa Bandsters

:blink:Ok I have a question. I got my first fill Dec. 5th or so. I haven't needed another one since. I think my fill was 3.2mm? Since then I haven't been able to eat more than 1/4- 1/2 cup. Think this is normal? I haven't lost a ton of weight, maybe 18pds since then, but I think I stay dehydrated all the time and I'm sure that's slowng my progress. Anyone else gone through this?

If Paul gave you 3.2cc, I'd be surprised. I don't doubt you, but it's just that my first fill I only got .6cc, and that was just over a week ago. I'm already going back in on Monday for another fill because I'm more hungry now than before the fill.

You would eventually get to the point where that's all you could eat, so in the long run that is normal. However, DO remember to drink all your Water. It not only keeps you hydrated, it also rids your body of toxins AND FAT. :thumbup:

If Paul gave you 3.2cc, I'd be surprised. I don't doubt you, but it's just that my first fill I only got .6cc, and that was just over a week ago. I'm already going back in on Monday for another fill because I'm more hungry now than before the fill.

You would eventually get to the point where that's all you could eat, so in the long run that is normal. However, DO remember to drink all your Water. It not only keeps you hydrated, it also rids your body of toxins AND FAT. :thumbup:

I went back for my 2nd check up. I should have sad something on my first check up. I had been PB'inf all the time, but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday when I told the PA Kelli (she's wonderful!), she xrayed me and told me I was way too tight. She took out 2cc, so no have 1.8cc. My band had moved too! She told me whenevr you PB, you puoch swells, and you should do liquids for 2 days to heal it.

I go back next Friday to see if it's moved back up.

Hello all!

I have a quick question. Do any of you have Kaiser Permanente for health insurance? if so, which doctors accept it? I am trying to find a surgeon and i need to know which ones accept KP. Thanks all

DD

When I was with Kaiser, you had to get a referral from your PCP, get an appointment with the dietician (whom I detested), see her monthly for six months and lose a percentage of your weight to qualify to even see the surgeon, whose name I never learned. All I know is that two years ago he was in the District and operated at a hospital there (GW?) My PCP said their previous bariatric surgeon was fired due to an unacceptabe rate of complications. (They were also very highly bypass oriented. The dietician said they had no protocol in place for banding so I'd have to use the bypass one. Shesounded like no one had ever asked for a band before!)

I ran like hell, and switched to Aetna last year, did the 3 month quick protocol and was banded last July. My only regret now is that I didn't leave KP years ago. I'm getting far better care from all of my various doctors without pulling teeth to get it.

Hope this helps, and that KP has joined the 21st century by now....but I doubt it...

Edited by orea15

Hello all!

I have a quick question. Do any of you have Kaiser Permanente for health insurance? if so, which doctors accept it? I am trying to find a surgeon and i need to know which ones accept KP. Thanks all

DD

I had a much better experience with Kaiser...but it does take patience! I use the Springfield Center. Their contract is with Dr. Juliet Lee at GWU. I had my surgery in DEC and thought she was great. I had my first fill last week and saw her again. Her Physician's Assistant is a guy named Brian Wallace --also extremely helpful. (He had bypass a year ago, so has experience being a big person, so seems to understand what we're going through! He's lost over 120 pounds and sees lots of patients on a daily basis.) I can highly recommend the team...but you do have to go to KP's classes/dietician appointments before they will recommend you...but once it is done, it costs your co-pay and a $75 fee at GWU...nothing more....Others tell me that they've had to pay significant amounts not covered by insurance--and had to pay for each of their band fills...

KP also has a doctor at Holy Cross in Silver Spring if you choose to go there.

Just found this thread...Beth, I did not know that Dr. Pinnars office offered support groups. Is this something that is posted somewhere in the office? Did you attend the one in December (if so, what did you think?)

Just found this thread...Beth, I did not know that Dr. Pinnars office offered support groups. Is this something that is posted somewhere in the office? Did you attend the one in December (if so, what did you think?)

I know I was told about it when I met with Sue. I made the one in December, which was right after my surgery, but I missed the one in January because I had to work late that night.

It's the first Monday of each month at 6pm at the hospital. I thought it was nice. I would probably enjoy it a lot once I can go for a long time and see the results on people. I LOVE to see that!!

Me too...thanks for the info!