Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decided against the Lapband

Falloutgirl,

Enjoy your 30th over here and don't worry about your size, some of us are actually a little large here! Don't let that stop enjoying your life take care Nancy.:cursing:

Hi all, I thought I would drop in and just bump my thread and let those who wanted to know how I was going without the lapband and doing it on my own.

Things have been really great, hard and it's a slow process, but like my dad says it took me many years to put the weight on. So here are my stats, this is 8 weeks into it:

Weight loss - 6kgs

Chest - Lost 4.5cms

Waist - Lost 9.5cms

Hips - Lost 6cms

Thighs - Lost 2cms

Calf - Lost 3cms

Bicep - Lost 3.5cms

Wrist - Lost 1cm

Neck - 2.5cms

What am I doing? I go to a Personal Trainer 3 days a week, I walk every morning for 30-60mins, I run 2kms every night (well walk/run) and I've changed my eating habits.

It's been really hard but I feel like I'm getting somewhere. I can't particularly tell the difference but other ppl can, I can notice a difference in my face though, which is great.

I think I did make the right decision for me, and I've read some other ppls journeys and I can only congratulate them and feel so proud, I don't think it matters what we use to lose the weight, as long as we do. We all have the same common goal :tongue2:

FalloutGirl, you are doing wonderful so far, especially by losing over the holiday season. Congratulations and good luck. :0)

Thanks HeatherO, just got back from my morning walk and getting up at the crack of dawn is getting a little easier :wub:

I did well over Christmas I actually lost a 1kg or 2 pounds and really no exercise just watching what I eat :tt1: Bring on 2009

Great going FalloutGirl.

I had a friend who lost 60 lbs through Weight Watchers 20 years ago and have kept it off all of these years. She's kept a food journal the entire time and I believe that's been her key to success.

Thanks all, it's going really well.

I've decided to post a pic to show you the differences I've had. Unfortunately it's only a face shot, not a whole body shot but it still really shows I've lost weight.

ME4.jpg

The picture on the LEFT was taken Feb 2006

The picture in the MIDDLE was taken March 2008

The picture on the RIGHT was taken 10th Jan 2009

I'm happy with my progress so far, and have upped my workouts again. I did try and make sure I got similar pics with similar pose :cursing:

I found the best thing was to not over do it to start with otherwise you give up. So it's been slow and gradual and it's great!

Thanks for letting me share!

Cheers

Kel

Your pictures are beautiful and you can see the difference. Great job!

Thanks so much for that... it's hard work and I can't wait till 12months down the track and really see what I "should" look like!! If that makes sense :cursing:

Thanks Carrie, I've lost now about 8kgs or I think that is about 16pounds in 8 weeks or so. I'm so far off my goal it's not funny, but I'm getting there, only another you know 100pounds to go (or 50kgs) lol I feel good looking at those pics, seeing the difference in my face cause I was getting a little depressed that I couldn't see any changes! Now I can.

Well, I think it is good to lose slow. I have lost slow even with the band. I try to look at how much I've lost instead of how much more I have to go.

Wonderful! Awesome! Beautiful! So glad things are working well for you! I love to exercise! I can't imagine not being able to walk. My fav is lifting weights!! My thighs can press 235lbs when I power lift. My arms can only do 120lbs. I have always been muscular. Unfotunately I have been unsuccessful at losing weight all my life with watching calories and being physically active. My BMI is above 40 and often docs don't believe I am so active. I feel like I should bring people from the gym who can say that they are amazed that this fat girl can run a mile in 12 minutes and lift so much weight! Thyroid shows no problems... Anyhow, I am going to get banded and I think banding should only be used when truly other diets haven't. I know from past experience that my weight loss comes from eating only 500 to 600 calories a day...that's just me. It isn't healthy for many people, but keeping it at 1200 doesn't move the fat or scale. I am so proud you choose diet and exercise and am being successful at it. Banding is not a quick fix to fat problems and I think so many think that. Exercising and watching food intake is a must!! You are doing that without invading your body and your body is going to look so much better because you are! Congratulations on your choice and success!