Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decided against the Lapband

So I'm not sure if I can still post here, but I thought I'd share my experience to why I came to this decision.

I had an appointment to see the Lapband surgeon on the 7th of November. So I went along all nervous as I still had not made up my mind that this was something I was going to do.

I sit down and tell him this and he seemed a little bit annoyed with me because I wasn't saying "I want the lapband".

We went through the whole thing, he asked me the following questions:

Do you have high cholestrol? I said no, he asked if I was sure I said yes

Do you have diabetes? I said no, he asked if I was sure I said yes (I started getting a little mad)

Do you have high blood pressure? I said no, he said are you sure, I said do you want to get the machine and test it??

I understand he has to ask these questions, but these are all things through one blood test you can find out if I was lying, why would I lie??? pffft

Anyway, he explains the surgery to me and says that the band on it's own, I will loose around 30kgs (that's about 60 pounds) THEN I can start exercising. I looked at him and said that I'm exercising now. He looked a little shocked... so I left and rang my best mate and told him about all this and I broke down crying thinking I looked like someone who couldn't walk :blush:

So I thought "screw him" I'll show him I can do it. So now 6 weeks have passed (not since seeing him but since I started exercising) and I've lost 8kgs (16pounds). I've been walking every night, I go and do personal training 3 days a week and I've joined Weight Watchers to get my eating portions right etc.

I'm one of those ppl if you upset me and tell me I can't do something, I'm will go out of my way to prove you wrong... which I guess was a good thing to happen, but I just couldn't believe his attitude.

So I do wish you all luck in your commitment with the band but I've decided it's not the right thing for me.

I'm very lucky I have a HUGE support group who have just simply been fantastic and I couldn't ask for more. It's a little frustrating cause a lot of them live far away from me, but that's ok, I know how happy they are I've made this decision. They supported the lapband but they're also happy I'm giving this a go first.

Good Luck to you! It is always wise to explore and research before making the commitment to any surgery!

The option will always be open for you, and if you choose to explore it later----I'd look into a new Dr!!!

Good Luck with your weight loss.

Kat

Congratulations on your weight loss. I guess for me the decision for the lapband came because I did have all those diseases you mentioned. I too didn't have them at your age and I too had no problem dieting and exercising and losing weight. My problem was that when my motivation waned the weight would eventually come back. So all that good work was down rhe gurgler again. For me, the band is a bit more of a guarantee that I can't do that again. Don't let that dr put you off, find another one. Of course only you can decide what you want but if you are like most overweight people this losing and gaining is likely to continue for the rest of your life. Good luck.

The thing is though, I've never seriously given it a go (losing weight that is) I'll do it for like 2 weeks, see nothing and stop... also I've not always been overweight, it's only been the last 8 years, my first 21 years were pretty normal.

I won't let myself yo-yo diet, I'm being very sensible, allowing and accepting the fact that I will stuff up, I will have nights out when you know booze isn't good for you, but it's a "Lifestyle" change not a diet. I've just simply stopped the crap and thes softdrink (which was the BIGGEST problem) now I don't drink it and if I do, it's diet.

I think being youngish lol, I should do this first and give it everything I've got and some more.

Go for it then, you can always look at this option further down the track if you need to. I wish I could have done it myself but it was my health that got to me in the end!

Thanks Sades, that is what I think too... if I don't succeed at this (which I don't think is an option for me) then I know I have this as a safety net. I'd like to think I gave it a real go on my own, before I get all those problems I listed that I don't have at the moment, which I know I will get if I don't loose the weight.

Should I decide too, I will be seeing some other doctor in Melbourne and NOT the one I saw this time

I didn't realise you are an Aussie. I'm in Sydney. Your dr makes all the difference in the world. You've got to have a good rapport since you need to be seeing them for a long long time. Good luck on your journey!

Yup I'm an Aussie... the doctor I went too was recommended by a friend (they didn't have lapband but some gastric thing) and she was impressed by him... me not so much at all, I wanted to stab him in the eyes with his own pen :blush:

I'm hoping I won't go down this track, simply because it is expensive as well and all this training at the gym is killing me (in a good way but killing me) and would hate it to have been a waste. For me it's just about control and taking control of my life, which I'm starting to get a grip on.

I think we all take our own different journeys and it looks like you've done a great job so far and with promising results, and I hope I have the same success :)

Congratulations on your decision. No one should ever take the plunge with weight loss surgery unless they are sure and have really given it a lot of thought. Having a doctor you feel comfortable with also makes a huge impact on your decision as well.

I have been in your situation before . . . something happened, or someone said something, or I went through a break up and I would have 4-6 months of dieting motivation to get me on track. Unfortunately for me, life intervened and I got complacent and the pounds would drift back. Yo yo dieting always made me end up a few pounds heavier in the end, I was never this way when I was young. I needed the band for my personal situation and it has worked like a charm. I wouldn't have been ready for it in my early 20's but I was ready for it at this stage of my life.

You can find success through diet and exercise. The band is only a tool that makes the diet part a little easier but it can still be done without a band. I wish you the best of luck.

You have to do what is best for you and the band is not for everyone. Before I decided to get the band, I did like you. I told myself that I was going to give it one more good try and if it failed, I was getting banded. I lost about 20 pounds, but then my motivation went away and I started binging again and of course gained all the weight back plus more. But that has been the story of my life. Just because dieting and exercising without the band doesn't work for some of us, that doesn't mean that it won't work for you. Good luck!

I actually had to show my doctor proof that I had tried other weight loss methods (weight watchers, prescription diet pills, Atkins, ect), before I was a candidate. I didn't have any of the health problems either. Just a BMI of over 40, and overweight for 10+yrs. I was at the end of my rope, tired, and frustrated. I am excited that you have made the right choice for yourself. You wouldn't have been happy or got the most out of the band if you weren't ready. You sound like your very determined and definately doing everything right to be successful at losing your extra weight. Good Luck and I hope you keep everyone posted on your process.

FalloutGirl,

Not sure how old you are but you sound like a pretty smart person to me! I can't believe your doctor made is sound so easy with the lap band anyway but unfortunately some doctors do. The band didn't work for me and I ended up gaining and then having other comps afterwards.

You knew something was amiss with this doctor and you made the right choice for yourself. Don't let people tell you that you can't do something because you can do whatever you want to do! And you're on the mark with the yo yo dieting. That's what put the pounds on me in the first place. Best to listen to your body and give it what it needs. Take care Nancy:smile:.

Falloutgirl, it sounds like you made the right decision for you. Congrats on the weight loss!

Wow, thanks so much for everyone being so positive. I didn't know if I could really post here much anymore (not that I was a huge poster) because I had decided to go against the band.

I've had a bad week... but I've pulled myself through it. It's life and I just need to learn to how to adapt to different things.

Nanook, I'm 29, I am turning 30 next year and I just refuse to be the same as I am now... and no that doesn't mean I want to be bigger :thumbup: I'm coming over to the States in July for my 30th and want to do everything and anything and I don't want my weight to stop me doing anything.

So thanks to everyone for the support and I will keep you updated, it's really refreshing to get your support as well... should I end up going down the "band" option I also know I'll have your support

Good for you! Absolutely if you CAN do it without the band, you should! And your doctor sounds whack. If you ever change your mind, definitely find another one.