Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is too much?

I'm on the dreaded pre-op diet now, and I'm not doing too well. My saviors have been broth and sugar-free Jello. I'm cutting down the broth to reduce sodium, but I ate way too many jello cups today. They are sugar-free and 10 calories a cup. I seriously must have had 10 cups today. Is that way too many? Could this interfere with my weight loss?

I'm really starting panic about next week's surgery now!

It probably wont interfere with your weight loss but all that artificial sweetener! Yuck. I would cut down, that would worry me to be ingesting all that. And many people believe that artificial sweeteners induce the same insulin reaction in your body that real sugar does, in which case you'd be predisposing your body to retaining fat, and increasing your cravings.

You'd be better of steaming an enormous bowl of veges - like broccoli, carrots, Beans etc and eating those. You'll need the fibre on that diet anyway.

The dreaded pre-op diet. The only thing worse is the dreaded post-op diet. Just Kidding. Try to mix things up a little bit. There are different flavored broths and my life saver was sugar-free hot chocolate. Great for my WI winters. I will have to agree with Jachut, the artificial sweetners do increase your cravings. If I even drink 1 diet soda, I tend to crave sweets horribly. So maybe your creating a vicious circle right now of being hungry so you eat a Jello, and then because of the artificial sweetners in it, it only makes you crave more. I don't think it is going to hurt you, but it may be causing you to be hungrier and crave more. Get a list of things you can consume now(with some variety)or it will be very hard after surgery when you have to do this diet again. Right now for some reason I'm blanking on what I ate, but I'm sure that you can get alot of great ideas from other bandsters. Good Luck.

I am finishing my 2nd week on Medifast shakes, 5 per day and a small tossed salad for supper. I was told no artificial sweetners in any form as they increase appetite.Maybe some baby carrots and fat free drsg?

Good luck!

Actually, my doctor's office said that if it took 10 cups of sf Jello to feel satisfied, to have that. That was even on my post op diet. Obviously every doctor's office is different. I wouldn't see it as a problem, but check with your doctor. You doctor may have a different feeling about it.

I am scheduled for surgery on mon and you know what my wacky weakness was? 2 weeks, 6 slimfast a day and SOME veggies. (wording was "1/2 cup steamed or raw veggies") I bbqed (no sauce, little salt) tomatoes. I would have about 1/2 cup (monster slice) and leave the rest on the grill, 20 minutes later... another huge slice. We have a Tomato plant that keeps producing. I actually had tg food and resisted! The tomato plant talks to me in my sleep.< /p>

oh, and I say "was" because there are no tomatoes. They *were* wonderful heirloom ones and I am not tempted (at all) by the crap in the stores now!

I was allowed unlimited broth, SF Jello and SF popsicles. I am one week postop, doing well, losing great. I would not worry about it unless your doc tells you to.

You are one week or so out from banding, any regrets? Anything you wish you had known upfront that you didn't? I appreciate your insights, I am scheduled for consultation in a couple weeks and want to have as much knowledge as possible before my appointment.

Thanks!