Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux and Another Fill

I need some opinions here...

my 2nd and last fill was in late November. From what I remember, my fill level is around 1.6. Shortly after this second fill, I started having nighttime reflux. With many different suggestions for relief, the one thing that helped was not eating after a certain time 7:30ish pm.

Well, Im eating quite a bit more then I should be able to. And the reflux ONLY happens if I eat right before bedtime....

so?

should I try getting a tiny fill????

whats your opinion?

I already have an appointment to get a fill/discuss this with my surgeon, but I just needed some input from you :(

Hey Paula!!!! I had the same problems with the night time reflux. What I did and would do is to get an unfill until the reflux goes totally away and then start with the fills again. I would not suggest getting a fill if you are still having the reflux at night. JMO!!!

Paula

That's alot like me, I can't eat after 7pm or I'll suffer at night. Try alittle fill, you could always get unfilled.

As long as you don't eat before bedtime, you should be fine, my 2 cents.

get an unfill until the reflux goes totally away

but the reflux IS totally gone - IF I dont eat after 8pm.

I called his office today - talked to 2 different people. 1 banded, 1 not. BOTH said that this is a VERY commen problem and there is really nothing that can be done other then NOT eating after a certain time. :sick

so now Im totally confused...

how many of you bandsters that have a decent fill level are able to eat/drink at least an hour before bedtime and NO reflux occurs?

I still cannot eat after a certain time or I will have reflux even though my band feels better. I usually try nothing heavy after 6pm and only Water after 8pm granted I go to bed at 10pm. Maybe it depends on what you are eating?? Could it be that??

Mary,

if I drink water RIGHT before I go to bed, reflux occurs. So Ive conditioned myself to not have any solids after 8pm, and no Water after 9 or so. Like you, my bedtime is usually 10.

how many of you bandsters that have a decent fill level are able to eat/drink at least an hour before bedtime and NO reflux occurs?

I have no problem with reflux and I have good restriction, I can eat or drink before bed and no problems

The only problem I had was gastritiswhich is totally different from Reflux and it was only during the day for 1-2 hours between 1-3, I am now totally clear of that.

Humm Paula, I am interested what you find out at your appt. I won't drink Water right before cause I know it will come up when I am laying down. Granted I still sleep propted up just because of what happend before but I still do get heart burn every now and then. Sounds like Michelle is one of the lucky ones..

I don't have any problem with reflux no matter when I eat (it might be better if I DID because of all the night time grazing, LOL). But, there's also people like that that aren't banded. Some people can't eat at night because they'll get reflux, you know? I would say, that since you know your body enough to not eat after a certain time, to avoid the problem, that you'd probably do okay with a little fill if you feel like you need one. :)

Paula, we're on the same wavelength! I was going to post something almost exactly like this. I just put down TWO large bowls of salad for dinner!! I've never had a problem with salad, but I know I ate too much and it was too easy to do so. So I'm thinking of trying to get a little more fill in a few weeks.

My reflux is also totally gone, except if I've just had something right before bed. It's easy enough to avoid doing that, though, and I have had a great run of reflux-free nights. But, now that it's a habit to sleep with three pillows I don't know what would happen if I lay flat.

No help, I know. I guess the answer partly depends on how easy adjustments are for you to get. I'm thinking of getting a little more fill in September (after vacation season is over), but I know if I need a little taken out it's no big deal to get that done. Can you say the same? As you know, reflux is a bitch and suffering any longer than you have to is no good.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Alex, we're not alone in this. I was really analyzing this after I talked with my surgeons office. Wondering what to do. I have to drive an hour away for fills - thats inconvient b/c thats 2 extra hours of child care. Could be worst.

After my earlier post, I called my surgeons other office (located in a larger city) and spoke with another person who was also banded. She has nighttime reflux as well. So, Im thinking this is waaay more commen for bandsters then we realize. And those that dont have it - count yourselves as the lucky ones!

Went and ate at Chili's restaurant Friday nite- ate an entire order of nacho's - loaded!

I NEED A FILL! :nervous