Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need a confidance boost.....

My name is Anne-Marie Johnson and I have my surgery scheduled for December 10, 2008. I have not doubted my decision to get this surgery but I am really scared of the actual surgery part. I have never had a surgery my whole life. I am 39 years old. Does anyone have any advice on how to put my mind at ease. I am imagining all kinds of deadly scenarios. I want to go into this on December 10th knowing I made the absolute right decision to get my life back.:)

When you say you need to be sure you made the right decision, are you talking about the band specifically, or are you talking about having weightloss surgery in general? Only you can be sure if the band is the tool for you. Now surgery in general can be pretty scary, I'll admit. But statistically, surgeries like ours are safer. Ask if you'll be able to meet with the anesthesia team prior to going back to the OR. They can be reassuring. Good luck!

I too am nervous, but I went for my final doctor's visit today (before my sugery on the 1st) and one by one entered the happiest, healthiest looking group of people. I learned they had all completed their surgeries one to two weeks ago and were arriving for their follow ups. Without exception they were all pain free & described their experience as "pretty easy". One lady even said she had no pain or discomfort at all. No back, shoulder pains...nothing! And jokingly said she had wondered if they had really performed a surgery at all. I know everyone's experience is unique, but my fingers are crossed that you & I share the kind post-op like the lady that made me laugh.

Like Plain said, this really is a pretty safe surgery. If you mention to your doctor that you are quite nervous about it, they will sometimes give you something to take the night before or the day of to help calm your nerves.

Just concentrate on the fact that this is going to help improve your health and quality of life, which will make everything worth it.

I am 38 and never had surgery before either going into this. I am five days postop now and had alllll the anxiety you are having. I was petrified!

I can only reassure you, its a piece of cake. Really not at all bad. I was home just four hours from start to finish! We are relatively young, which helps a lot with pain, mobility and healing. It was nowhere near as bad as I built it up in my head. Don't hesitate to ask for anxiety meds and own up to the nurses that you are scared. They are very sympathetic and will help you through. Good luck and congratulations on taking charge of your life! Remember, the definition of courage is not an absence of fear, but rather taking action despite the presence of fear. This is a very courageous step you are taking.

I think we all play a mind game when it comes to actually going in for the surgery, but that is normal. If you did not have some questions or fears, that would be weird.

My last surgery before lapband was almost a disaster. I was afraid of the surgery and very nervous. I told my doc and PA about what had happened before and they were very reassuring, as was my DH. You just need to focus on what the long term outcome is for this surgery. Remember why you are taking this leap of faith and how great you are going to feel a year from now!

No regrets! It is not going to be easy, you do have to work at losing weight, you just have the band to help make it a bit easier. Make sure you follow your docs orders to a T, that is what will make you successful. They know what they are doing. Use this forum as a support group and if you have a local support group make sure you go!

I am so glad that I did this, I know you will be too! Keep us posted and let us know how surgery went!

When you say you need to be sure you made the right decision, are you talking about the band specifically, or are you talking about having weightloss surgery in general? Only you can be sure if the band is the tool for you. Now surgery in general can be pretty scary, I'll admit. But statistically, surgeries like ours are safer. Ask if you'll be able to meet with the anesthesia team prior to going back to the OR. They can be reassuring. Good luck!

I know that the decision for the band is the right decision for me. I am just scared of the actual surgery. years ago when I was still in the 300's I was approved for gastric bypass but I chickened out because I had never had a surgery ever in my life. It was to drastic for me to rearange my insides. Now I am in the 400's and finally came to this decision. This is why I know it is right for me. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago with diabetes. They put me on Byetta. It helped keep my sugar in order and as a side effect could help you lose some weight. I went from 430-385 in about 3 months on the shot. It did not get rid of my hunger. What it did was make me satiated on about half of what I ate. I figured it worked the same way with the band. I unfortunately had to go off of the medication cause I had another of the side aeffects and that was severe nausea 24-7. I was heeving all the time. I went off the meds and ballooned up to 479 lbs quickly. Now , I know several people who got the bypass and said if they could do it over again they would have gotten the band instead because they had so much trouble after the surgery. I know someone in their 60's who got the band and it has been very successful for her so I just need to get over my actual surgery fear. I do believe with an uncomplicated surgery I will succeed with this device in me and get my life back. I will finally be able to keep a New Years resolution this year.

Anne-Marie Surgery Date 12-10-08

Edited by AMJOHNSON

Anne-Marie, I've had dental procedures that were worse. Really.

But I agree with Plain: If you want to talk to the anesthesia docs, they should be willing to meet with you. The lady next to me in the pre-op waiting area had never had surgery (I think she was having a biopsy, so it was not WLS) had a TON of questions for her anestesiologist, and he was fantastic in answering them all. Of course for her, she had other options than general, but he gave all the information she could ever want to know.

My surgery is scheduled for December 19. I've never had surgery either and am scared, too, but to remind myself of these things:

1. My doctor absolutely knows what he's doing and will be able to handle any complications that arise.

2. My doctor will choose an anesthesiologist who is just as good.

3. He will make a few incisions and place the band around my stomach and then place the port. There will be no "rearranging" of my insides ... there should be very little cutting! (Especially if I do my part to try to shrink my liver.)

This is fairly minimally invasive procedure. I'm just really trying to focus on trusting my doctor ... that's why I chose him! Being nervous is normal, though. Just know I'm sure you'll be just fine. :grouphug:

My name is Anne-Marie Johnson and I have my surgery scheduled for December 10, 2008. I have not doubted my decision to get this surgery but I am really scared of the actual surgery part. I have never had a surgery my whole life. I am 39 years old. Does anyone have any advice on how to put my mind at ease. I am imagining all kinds of deadly scenarios. I want to go into this on December 10th knowing I made the absolute right decision to get my life back.:grouphug:

Heck this was my 11th surgery and was just as nervous with this surgery as I was with the 10 previous ones. It is very natural to become nervous about any type of general anthesia surgery.

I recommend you have a strong support system in place. Find out if your love ones can be with right before you go into the operating room. They can help ease your fears and you won't feel alone with them there.:grouphug:

Oddly, I too am a bit nervous..There will be some pain, I know this as I have had other laproscopic surgeries..As well as some major surgeries..But it won't last long, so I keep telling myself that..Plus I will have an extra incision, doctor is also taking out my gallbladder too..But I think I am more nervous about the drive home, it's only about 45 minutes from home but I still don't want too!

First of all stop thinking about negative scenarios as this does nothing but make you nervous and lowers your body's defenses. The fact that this is done laproscopically and on an outpatient basis (mine is anyway) should show yuo it's not a "major" operation. You'll be fine...think about being healthy and fit by the summer!

But I think I am more nervous about the drive home, it's only about 45 minutes from home but I still don't want too!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you're not driving yourself home, are you? Or is it just the trip home that concerns you?

If it's the trip, you'll probably fine. I wasn't that bad the day of.

I would have to say the biggest part of my success was positive thinking. I was also 39 and had never had surgery before. I didn't have much pain at all. I never used the pain meds they gave me. I just used tylenol. I did have the shoulder pain, but I walked that off. I have had surgeries now since my band and I look forward to the wonderful rest that I get when they put me out. I feel great when I wake up, very well rested. I know this sounds a little off, but with 2 boys, a husband, and a dog, rest is not an option when I'm at home. Don't get yourself worked up about the surgery, when we are tense our body is more sensitive to pain, relax and be positive and you will do just fine. It isn't in the same ball park as gastric bypass, I would never have had that surgery because of all the complications. The lap band is safe, and reversible, unlike the gastric bypass. It is truly a very simple proceedure. Good Luck!

I have had surgeries now since my band and I look forward to the wonderful rest that I get when they put me out. I feel great when I wake up, very well rested. I know this sounds a little off, but with 2 boys, a husband, and a dog, rest is not an option when I'm at home.

Please excuse the chuckle I got out of this, but it made me think: Once upon a time, it used to be, "Calgon, take me away!" Now it takes anesthesia to do it. :thumbup:

"Anesthesia -- for the rest you never thought you could get."