Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

Oh and my grandma...."You dont look so fat in that outfit today"

I stood in stunded silence for about half a minute looked at her and said "You don't look so old with your hair like that today"

And then quickly walked away.

These Christmas stories are such a hoot!! OMG, thanks everyone for brightening up this workday!!! :)

Ohhh the many that I do have...

Went to visit my grandmother in the nursing home... she says to me.. oh meg, you're so beautiful... but you always were a little porker eh!

next..

At a party at my BF's house. We were talking about this Soup that people were eating and I made a comment along the lines of who eats soup when they are drunk. And his best friend turned to me, and said, I want to tell you something but you have to promise not to get offended. confused, I said, go a head, tell me. He said, promise you won't be offended. I promised. He said "we call that soup fat girl soup, because the chick that makes it is huge" Now I probably would have just raised an eye brow to the fat girl soup, but since he made such a huge, and public deal about me not being offended.. i was mortified.

On Christmas, my step-grandfather said "So how much have you lost?" I told him about 30 pounds. He patted me on the back and said "Damn you must have really been big!" WTF? But he's like a million years old and I think he's legally blind, plus he's generally a sweet old guy, so I let it slide. :confused: All good fun holiday cheer, right? haha.

When I was pregnant three years ago my doc was really big on weight gain. He insisted that I should, at most, gain 10 pounds through the whole pregnancy. He recommended I not gain any. When I questioned the idea that I "diet" while pregnant and how that would be healthy for a baby growing inside me he told me "Stephanie, during WWII there were plenty of women pregnant in concentration camps. They certainly didn't gain weight there and there were plenty of healthy babies born." I'll never forget it. I went home and cried.

This is also the man who told me that the "correct" way to lose weight would be to cut my diet by 100 calories a day. That would give me a weight loss of 1 pound a month and I would have a better chance of keeping it off if I lost slowly like that. I would have been "dieting" for 10 years to get close to my goal.

The kicker, I hear 10 years ago, he was a fatty too!

I was on holiday with my daughter in Malaysia in November, just before getting banded. On our first night, we got a taxi from the airport to the hotel, which was a lot cheaper and nastier than we were expecting (we moved the next day) and there was no door man to help with the bags. As we walked up to the steps, a local man, who had obviously been drinking, came up to us and started to show us how to use the old luggage lift in the steps. He pointed right at me and started laughing out loud, saying "You so fat, lady! How you get so fat?" Then he looked at my daughter and said, "You fat too but not as fat as her!!" and proceeded to laugh some more. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say! Needless to say, he didn't get a tip for helping with the bags!!

i hadn't thought of the dominatrix thing, but that is COOL!! i told my dh that i want a swing (because maybe it will actually be able to hold me)..he was ok with that, but then when i was mentioning that i may wear skirts out more often and some of the things we could do...he was lick...WHAT?????....oh well, that's why they call them fantasies...right...

ROFL!!! I had to read that 3 times before I worked out that it was a typo and you meant "he was like..."! I was thinking oooh that's getting a bit close to the bone, isn't it? Talking about what your husband was licking!! :omg:

Oh, this thread. Good heavens. It gave me some good chuckles and some major groans at seeing what people have the nerve to say! I have a couple...

I went to Niagara Falls when I was about 18 and I got a keychain that was shaped like a cow and it said "Niagara Falls" on it. Well, after having it for a year, the wording wore off. My mom borrowed my car and when she brought the keys back to me, she indicated the cow keychain and asked me why I had it. She went on to explain that when people have certain imagery around, they tend to start looking like it. Thanks, Mom...thanks. I explained to her later how rude that was and she so didn't understand what I took offense over.

Another Mom classic. I moved out of her house for the first time when I was 22 (only for 6 months). Well, while I was out of her house, I wasn't dealing with the immense shame and guilt that kept my weight in check and I got up to 210 from my average of 170-180. After I moved back in with her, my weight dropped back down (ah, the power of guilt from somebody that you know loathes fat). I confessed to her that I had gotten to 210 and she said to me that if she ever got over 200 lbs, she'd commit suicide. Yeah...it goes without saying that there's no way I'd tell her I've been over 200 for the past 3 years.

The last one is a kid thing...one of my DH's kids asked me this past summer if I was pregnant. I said, "No, just fat." I seriously was not upset with her. I was embarrassed, but it wasn't her fault. Honestly, I think her mother may have told her to ask if I was pregnant because her mother hates my guts and is OBSESSED with what is going on in our lives (me and DH).

Yeah...so the worst comments have come from my mother. This is something I've struggled with with her for my whole life. She has sat me down a few times and explained to me that her mother was also obsessed with weight and it's a hard habit to break. She has tried to tell me again and again that she doesn't mean any offense. I really just think she doesn't realize the words that come out of her mouth sometimes (Sagittarius).

Oh...I do have another Mom comment that I forgot. My paternal grandmother is immensely obese. My mom told me one time that if I kept up eating junk food like I was, that I'd end up looking like her. Ugh.

My mother who is 5'6' and ranges from 125-160 lbs (i.e. has never know what it is to truly be heavy) told me when I was younger, when I was at the weight that is my goal today. "If you keep eating like that you're going to have to shop in one of those stores for "special" people. :omg:

I still bring that one up just to taunt her.

My fiance has 2 little nieces ranges in age from 6 years to 3 years. When the now 5 year old was about 4 she patted my lap and tops of my thighs and said so bigggg, and so sooooofffftt. I just had to laugh because she didn't know what she was saying, but I was mortified. I'm 6 feet tall and 265 lbs. I don't have rolls of fat, I just have fat evenly distributed over my large frame. His sister was a professional figure skater, she's about 5 foot nothing and I venture to say not even a 100 lbs. His mother is also 5 foot nothing and tiny. I always feel like Godzirra terrorizing Japan when I'm around them!

It amazes me the thoughtless things people will say! I can understand when it comes from kids, but from adults?!?! I have a few gems...

The first hurtful comment I remember was from a friends daughter. We were on our way to a girls getaway weekend, and we were loading our luggage into the car. I had a large suitcase, and as I was lifting it into the trunk I commented, "Why is my suitcase so big?". Her 9 year old daughter said, "Probably because you're so big" Okay......

Also, I have been working out at the same gym for about 7 years now. Sadly, I have gained about 25 pounds since joining, but I still go. There is this one personal trainer there who makes a special effort to greet me every time I am there, and look me right in the eye, and say, "You have such a beautiful face.", then walk away. Every time! Okay..I get it..pretty face, but.......

Then there is my Mom. She is incredibly supportive, but feels the need to point out that I have gained weight (just in case I haven't noticed!), and make comments like, "you know, you are too pretty to be overweight" or "you have to watch your weight because there are women who think Phil (my DH) is a real catch, and if you are overweight......". Or a favorite of mine.."You have to stay beautiful and well put together for your husband."

After I lost 65 pounds, I had a friend ask me if I was on a diet. When I said yes, she said, "well, I didn't want to say anything in case you had cancer or something." Didn't that make me feel I looked good . . .!

I have one brother who's rather judgmental about my weight. One time I was singing along to a song on the radio "When will I be loved?" and he said, "When you lose about a hundred pounds."

One time a few years ago, his son (about age 4-5) asked me if I was going to have a baby. I explained that I wasn't --that I had gained some weight. I didn't mind him asking the question, but I did mind the look on my brother's face and his comment, "Well, what do you expect." He never said anything to his son.

Sometimes, I hear people say that the overweight are one of the last groups people can make fun of. Aren't we supposed to be fat and jolly. If you say anything, they say, "I was just kidding. Can't you take a joke?"

Sometimes friends and family seem not to notice any more. They will talk about how fat someone else is right in front of me. Hellooo.

Helen

The worst for me is my mom. For the past ten years my mom has gone back and forth on her weight. Everytime she loses weight (even when I wasn't that big) she starts going through her clothes and tells me that they are way to big for her so maybe I can get some use out of them. It gets really annoying!!!!!

My daughter can be pretty bad. I hope my weight doesn't give her any kind of control problems with hers because she is only 7 and pays alot of attention to weight. She asks me all the time "Are u ever going to be skinny" and "why are u so big?"

I can so relate to all of these comments. I've had the "you have such a pretty face", "you aren't fat, you are cute", "you might be overweight but you don't look sick like whats-her-name", "you carry it well" and the most recent one when I said I was going back on my diet after a recent cruise, a family friend said "what diet?".

It's hurtful now, but in six months when I have lost a stack of weight, I will just laugh!