Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

Once when I lost almost 50lbs on a diet and my aunts came to visit....my mom actually bragged on me. (It was rare) She said, can you believe it, Melissa is lost almost 50lbs. My aunt who isn't a skinny ninny said, "looks like she needs to loose about 50lb more" It was almost true, but it was rather harsh at the time.

my sister-in-laws father told me how great i look a couple weeks ago and then said "abou 100 more lbs to lose huh?" which is true but god you dont have to remind me!!!lol

So many of us have heard those comments, usually from other women. Now that I'm an old broad I'm not on the receiving end of these catty remarks. But just once I would have loved to have said, "You have such a great ass; you'd be so pretty if you got a new face."

Lmaoooo I am going to remember that one and I am GOING to use it :)

our new T shirts should read...

Don't forget..I will remember what you said when I was fat!!

I also love this - I am going to get it made up...Good Job guys :)

I have had alot of things happen but have tried to forget them as soon as they were said, there is only one that really stands out. I was at the Local Council and I ran into someone I hadnt seen in ages, and as I was walking across the room to her she said in a very loud voice..."Holy Sh*it...check you out, you have sure beefed up"

Everyone just stopped and looked at me, I was sooooooooooo embaressed, all I could mumble was "Gee Thanks" but when I got back to my car I cried and cried. Took me days to get over it.

I was at work yesterday (at a nursing home), we got new chairs for the dining room, and they were smaller then the old ones. One nurse was debating if bigger residents were going to fit in them or not. So I walked in and she said to me "why don't you try it?" and I said laughing "why because I'm fat?" and she said "I need someone a little wider bottemed to try them out!" and then another coworker said well "big bottemed girls make the world go round" so, theres my compliments of the day!!

Hey I think I am going to go to designashirt.com and have the "I'll remember what you said when I was fat" put on it, hmmm I dunno tho the "you have such a great ass, you'd be so pretty if you had a new face" I dunno, but I definately want to have a T-Shirt printed up for the occassion

Wow I can't believe it's been 2 years since someone replied to this! I'm bumping this because I think it could get much more attention!

Boy, I could sit here typing all night.

My favorite: super duper skinny people who go on and on and on about how fat they are, and how they need to watch what they eat, and then they touch their stomach to prove their point. I have run into quite a few of these and quite frankly, they were just being mean, like they wanted to tell me to go on a diet, wanted me to feel self-councious, like I don't know what I look like. They were very judmental.

Others:

- Stares. Sometimes people just stare at you in a way that says a thousand words.

- When I was in HS bullies used to call my house all the time to call me fat, and that I would end up in the gutter all fat and alone. Unfortunately we did not have caller id back then.

- Also in HS, I started dating a boy who was underweight. I would get these notes on my locker that had a picture of a whale kissing a cricket, among other things.

- When I was in elementary school, I was doing some stretches in PE and someone yelled ' look at what the fattie can do!'

- On my wedding day I weighted 160lbs. (I am 5'5) and my aunt called me aside and advised me to not gain one more ounce or else my dh would find 'finer meat' elsewhere! My family has insulted me so badly I no longer talk to them. Haven't in years and don't intent to do so ever again.

- My mother telling me all the time how fat and disgusting I am, am I not embarassed to wear such huge clothes, be careful you are going to break the chair etc etc...

- Kids at school asking when I am due

- One child grabbed my arm once and asked very loudly 'Why do you have so much fat hanging here?'

I was at a party at a friends and this guy and i were flirting-- he is actually pretty hott. and i have this friend that is PERFECT (she was in a bikini 2 weeks after having her kid!) and we were drinking a lot lol and he goes "You are so gorgeous, if you were the same size as jaclyn i would F*ck you right now"

I really didnt know what to say?? compliment? insult??? i laugh at it now... ;)

LOVE the T-Shirt idea!!!! I 've gotten all the same comments as all of you: pretty face, how far along are you?, you're the fattest thing I've seen all day, just stop eating so much. It doesn't happen as much now that I'm 41 and I usually have my 3 year old in tow - but when you are younger it really hurts. Kids especially are SO cruel. Funny story: I went to a concert at a small venue - after the concert I went to a bar just to hang out. I hadn't been to this bar in about 15 years, so I'm talking to this guy outside, he's around my age, a little weathered, overweight, but very nice - and I was telling him that the last time I was at this particular bar was 15 years ago and I met a really cute guy, we talked, made out etc.. He seemed REAL interested in this story - he turns to me and says "I was that guy". I almost fell over. Well, he remembered my name, the year make and model of my car and other stuff. What are the chances? Anyway, he said to me "Man, we used to be hot, what the hell happened to us?" Funny as hell!!!

Maria

this is a great thread!

this just happened. a person i worked with earlier this year asked me how much i had lost, i told her 122 lbs and i have quite a bit to go still.

"no, you couldnt be THAT fat" ...

nice. fq very much.

My co-worker was obsessed by 5 pounds; and she would find a tiny spot on her side and pinch it and talk about how disgusting it was. (She was a size 4-6)

If that's so disgusting - what do you think when you look at me?

The thing that I find so interesting is the double standard. I've had COUNTLESS skinny friends complain about how fat they are, and I tell them I'd love to be their size, and they all are quick to say they don't think I'm fat, they just feel fat for themselves. At first I thought of this as a load of horse pucky, but I'm starting to believe it. I still come away from the conversation feeling planetary if they're complaining about their size whatever, but I also know they feel bad themselves. And since I know how feeling bad about your body feels, I leave it alone.

I was in the check out of the grocery store and was buying lots of fruits and veggies that day. When I got tot the cashier she asked me "when are you do?" I felt the heat in my cheeks and said "I am not pregnant, just fat" The cashier looked horrified and then I was even more embarrassed. I vowed that day I would never ask someone when they were due unless they looked as if they were about to go to the hospital.

I was in the check out of the grocery store and was buying lots of fruits and veggies that day. When I got tot the cashier she asked me "when are you do?" I felt the heat in my cheeks and said "I am not pregnant, just fat" The cashier looked horrified and then I was even more embarrassed. I vowed that day I would never ask someone when they were due unless they looked as if they were about to go to the hospital.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I promise you that person will never ever ask anyone the same question again, ever.

I've been asked that a few times, more so by kids saying, "Momma, she's going to have a baby!" while pointing at me.

I typically say, "No, I'm not, I'm just differently sized. People come in all sorts of sizes, shapes and colors." The parents want to die. HA.

Right now what is getting to me are the 9 year old girls at the pool who can't help but stare at me in my swim suit. I want to tell them it's bad manners or ask them if they want to touch my fat just to freak them the hell out...Normally I catch their eye and they turn their heads...Any pointers in what to say?

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but I promise you that person will never ever ask anyone the same question again, ever.

I've been asked that a few times, more so by kids saying, "Momma, she's going to have a baby!" while pointing at me.

I typically say, "No, I'm not, I'm just differently sized. People come in all sorts of sizes, shapes and colors." The parents want to die. HA.

Right now what is getting to me are the 9 year old girls at the pool who can't help but stare at me in my swim suit. I want to tell them it's bad manners or ask them if they want to touch my fat just to freak them the hell out...Normally I catch their eye and they turn their heads...Any pointers in what to say?

After losing over 70 pounds, I think you need to hold your head up high and be proud of yourself!