Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very discouraged!!!

Hello all! I had lap-band surg in 7-2006 and have lost only 35lbs. I had my gall bladder removed in 12-06 a few months after lap-band surg. Ever since then its like its impossible to loose weight. I became pregnant with my second child 8-2007 and had him 5-2008 and I have not lost NOTHING- my band has 2.7cc's in it and I try to ask my DR whats wrong but he never has time for my questions. I think something is wrong because I can swallow a multi-vit like the big horse pill size and I told him that but I never got a reply...anybody have any suggestions?

Do you have any restriction at all? What is your diet like currently?

I think part of the issue might be in your follow-up care. If the doctor is non-responsive, you may want to see if you can find a different group to work with in your area.

well right now b-fast is a Protein shake- 220 cals lunch is usually turkey sand on wheat bread no crust then another protien shake or a small bowl of healthy Cereal then for dinner grilled meat with veges. usually thats what I have . I am scheduled to c another Dr in that group--but I think my gall bladder has something to do with my weight loss?

Flipside, it doesn't sound like you're getting much support at all. Maybe your band has issues and you need to find someone who will give you support. It makes all the difference in the world. Good luck!

It doesn't sound like you've had enough time with your other surgery and pregnancy to get to optimal restriction. When I have restriction I will lose consistently, and then over time it will loosen up, and it takes a few times in for a fill to get back to the point where I lose. If I have the right restriction I don't diet or have to watch what I eat. I can only eat a small amount of food. The key for me and my weightloss has been proper restriction. My doctor has great aftercare though. Good luck, and try to get in for another fill. I think everyone is different, but for me, I have to be very tight for my weight loss to continue.

It doesn't sound like you've had enough time with your other surgery and pregnancy to get to optimal restriction. When I have restriction I will lose consistently, and then over time it will loosen up, and it takes a few times in for a fill to get back to the point where I lose. If I have the right restriction I don't diet or have to watch what I eat. I can only eat a small amount of food. The key for me and my weightloss has been proper restriction. My doctor has great aftercare though. Good luck, and try to get in for another fill. I think everyone is different, but for me, I have to be very tight for my weight loss to continue.

Well last time I saw my DR he added more to my band with a total of 2.7 and he was like well your not doing something right because i can only add a little bit more to your band and he acted like a jerk about it. Its like im so ready to say screw it because I feel like im on a strict diet and exercise routine and its not helping.

Well last time I saw my DR he added more to my band with a total of 2.7 and he was like well your not doing something right because i can only add a little bit more to your band and he acted like a jerk about it. Its like im so ready to say screw it because I feel like im on a strict diet and exercise routine and its not helping.

It sounds like you may need to find a new doctor! Good Luck! It sounds like you need a fill and I have never heard of anyone having a totally filled band and no restriction. I was overfilled one time and could barely swallow my own saliva! Thankfully it was only for a day since my doc removed some Fluid. :)

I would say a more helpful doctor is in order. Also, I have read elsewhere where someone had a "kink" in their line so that it was exceedingly difficult to insert or withdraw Fluid. Did your doctor mean that he was having a physical problem inserting more Fluid or only that he thought you were full enough that you should be feeling it?

When you have restriction, you have restriction. If you chose to ignore it and try to over eat, eveything comes right back up. When everything is filled appropriately, there is no doubt that the band is there and working for you. It sounds like you are not close enough to your sweet spot.

You should start calling around to check out a different doctor. There are also fill centers available that can help.

I would say a more helpful doctor is in order. Also, I have read elsewhere where someone had a "kink" in their line so that it was exceedingly difficult to insert or withdraw Fluid. Did your doctor mean that he was having a physical problem inserting more Fluid or only that he thought you were full enough that you should be feeling it?

When you have restriction, you have restriction. If you chose to ignore it and try to over eat, eveything comes right back up. When everything is filled appropriately, there is no doubt that the band is there and working for you. It sounds like you are not close enough to your sweet spot.

You should start calling around to check out a different doctor. There are also fill centers available that can help.

Well I do feel restriction but its not the kind I hear everybody talk about its like after a few minutes I feel it going through. No I don't think its physically hard to inject more saline he told me I have a 3 cc band so im basically at the end of my rope with fills---thats the way I took it. I really feel like he got my money b/c I was a self pay and my one year warranty is up so I really don't think he gives a rip. But what really makes me mad every time I go in now I have to pay $100 and with two little ones that $100 is alot for us!!! What does a slipped band feel like? maybe I have that... who knows. Also when I was pregnant I don't just have morning sickness I have like all day most every day sickness and I threw up at least once a day not to the band just pregnancy stuff so I wonder if that messed something up..I mentioned that but he never seemed to care.:blush:

Flipside,

I feel so bad for you and your Dr. sounds like a real jerk! Since your self pay anyway you should go to a whole different group of Dr.'s.

I had complications after my surgery I was readmitted to the hospital and my dr told me we are going to be like a married couple, he was going to watch me more closely than most of his patients. I think that is what a good dr should be like if your having issues.

Good luck w/whatever you decide to do.

Well I do feel restriction but its not the kind I hear everybody talk about its like after a few minutes I feel it going through. No I don't think its physically hard to inject more saline he told me I have a 3 cc band so im basically at the end of my rope with fills---thats the way I took it. I really feel like he got my money b/c I was a self pay and my one year warranty is up so I really don't think he gives a rip. But what really makes me mad every time I go in now I have to pay $100 and with two little ones that $100 is alot for us!!! What does a slipped band feel like? maybe I have that... who knows. Also when I was pregnant I don't just have morning sickness I have like all day most every day sickness and I threw up at least once a day not to the band just pregnancy stuff so I wonder if that messed something up..I mentioned that but he never seemed to care.:thumbup:

If you are nearing capacity at 3 cc's in a 4 cc band, you still have at least 25% to go and a band can be slightly filled beyond the capacity line if necessary. Most of us fine that our sweet spot is a very narrow band of how much we can be filled . . . so much so that 0.10 cc's can make a huge difference. You aren't at the end of your band, you just haven't gotten significant restriction yet.

I have read someone say on this forum before that lack of restriction could mean a slip. However, I know my own doctor has said that the symptoms to look for are in the in the opposite direction where nothing goes down and you have super restriction where sometimes you can't swallow your own spit. I can't diagnose a slip since I am not a doctor but it doesn't sound like a slip in my limited knowledge.

Good aftercare is vital to the success of your banding experience. Your doctor does not sound like a very caring or considerate person. If you can switch, it may make all the difference in the world. You might have to pay a patient transfer fee to go to a new doctor, but you have already invested a lot in the band and it could be worth it.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet, you may be only a fraction of a cc away from restriction, getting back to bandster rules and taking the weight off as you originally intended.

Not only do you have 1 whole cc to go to 'fill' the band, but bands can be over-filled safely to a point and I've heard people on the forum say they had to do this.

.1cc can make a world of difference, I've been 'too tight' by only .2cc before, and if I lost .3cc I would be too open..

I definitely think it's time for a new doctor, that is supportive and not argumentative. If you didn't need the band to work, you wouldn't have had the surgery and it sounds like you're making good choices, you just need the band to do its part.

Thank all of you so much for your answers and encouragement I get to see a different dr in that practice Dec 19 he is young and he is very nice and seems like a very genuine person. I have met him a few times I'll keep you informed as to what happens!!! Thank you so much!!!

Thank all of you so much for your answers and encouragement I get to see a different dr in that practice Dec 19 he is young and he is very nice and seems like a very genuine person. I have met him a few times I'll keep you informed as to what happens!!! Thank you so much!!!

Good Luck! I hope the new dr is terrific! Keep us updated!