Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does most everything I eat come back up?

I was banded on 4-28-05. Have only lost 17 pounds, and these are the same ones I lost right after surgery. I have had 2 fills. I haven't been able to eat much except Cereal and milk. Just about everything I eat comes back up, first a couple of PB's and then I am vomiting up whatever I eat. I have tried many different foods and most everything comes back up. The other wierd thing is once in a great while, last saturday, I was able to eat a small piece of chicken, some mashed potatoes and some corn & squash casserole. Other than that the only thing I have been able to keep down is cereal and Milk.

Now comes the really aggravating part, I am still not losing weight! Please tell me has anyone or is anyone going through this?

Debbie

Get a small unfill, do liquids/protien drinks for 2-3 days, then slowly add in your soft foods. You no doubt have swelling with all the PBing. Your food intake/calorie intake is so low your body is holding on to your weight. EAT! In order to do that, get an UNFILL!

I got a .4cc unfill, yes POINT 4, and it has made a huge difference. Funny for me, though, I have an easier time eating foods like chicken and vegetables than I do eating mushies like cottage cheese or even mashed potatoes. My theory is that I take smaller bites of "real food" than I do with mushy food. Suits me, I'll stick with real food! Hard protiens, then veggies, starches if there is room, don't eat for longer than 20-30 min, no drinking with meals or for 1-2 hours after a meal, make sure you get in 1200-1400 calories a day. Track your food on FitDay.com for a few days and see what you learn. It helps!

Good luck, Debbie. Don't live like this. It isn't the way banded life is supposed to be and you could end up hurting your band. 24 hours of liquids only after any PB. Stock up on Carnation Instant Breakfast! Fill us in! ((((hugs)))))

I tend to cough up alot of what I eat and I do truly believe it is from not chewing right-it is a hard lesson to learn but you do indeed have to chew things to the point of where you think its ridiculous.I used to think that this was PBing but now I realize they r diff issues.either way back away from the hard to process stuff like meat(I can eat chicken in very small pieces and ground beef sometimes but thats about it)and bread IS EVIL!!!!

You need to get an unfill. I wasn't quite at the level of tightness that you are at right now, but close. You probably don't need much out, I just got .3cc's taken out, and it made a world of difference.

I didn't lose any weight the 4 months that felt like that, so I don't recommend staying that way. I think that you aren't taking much in and your body is just holding on to everything that it can in this 'starving' period.

Feel better

Dannies Darlin, what is your current fill level?

Once you PB it is wise to fo liquids for 24-48 hours to let the swelling in your esophagus and stoma subside, if not it just becomes a vicious cycle. PB..eat..PB eat.Iam sure you are very irritated if you have been PBing often

You have to eat to lose weight. Since you are not eating nothing but cereal and milk could explain why you are not losing. Cereal and milk are liquids and soft foods

I have posted this info on so many other threads but her is something from Inamed and it is dierctly from their hanbook it is valuable to your situation

With the Lap Band system in place, you should be able to eat only small ammount so the food you eat should be as healthy as possible. Do not fill your stomach pouch with :junk: food that lacks Vitamins and other important nutrients. Your meals should be high in Protein and vitamins and low in carbs. solid food is more important then

liquid food or soft food. The lap Band system will have little or no effect if you only eat liquid or soft food. It passes through the stomach outlet very quickly and does not make you feel full.

Here is another excerpt form the book

If the adjustment (fill) results in too tight of a stomach opening you could have a hard time eating most foods, sometimes this causes people to avoid solid foods. They may drink liquid meals or soft food meals and this may result in weight gain or no weight loss. A band that is too tight may cause reflux symptoms and can also cause frequent vomiting.

You know having just a little ammount of your fill removed can make a huge difference in being able to eat hard Proteins & solids but still allow you to lose weight.

I hope this info helps you :(

Thank you for all your replies and info, I am going to see my doctor on Thursday the 21st. I am hoping this will get me to that so called sweet spot. I am so ready to start losing weight, and having the band work like its supposed to. I do know that I have been eating mushies and not low calorie ones either which is why I haven't been losing the weight, that and the fact I haven't started a exercise program. I am considering starting counseling, I think something really is wrong in my head, maybe I really am scared to loose this weight for some reason. Who knows.

Yesterday I had a severe problem on my right side that traveled to my back. Horrible pain, I saw my Primary doctor and had blood work as well as a cat scan. It turned out I had a kidney stone. Thank God I passed it and feel so much better today.

Again thanks for all the help and suggestions, this is a great website.

Debbie

Soft food syndrome...in other words, you're too tight.

You need to be able to eat solids comfortably. No one should be PBing/puking regularly.

Nancy

394/270/180