Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel more restrictions some days more than others?

It is so weird. I am finally figuring out my body. Yesterday I was so restricted I could barely eat. I felt the connstiction from the morning until late afternoon. It started right after I drank some Water, yes it was not a sip, I gulped in error. It was like a spasm and then just stayed. Today, no problems. I am eating fine and even having my allowed Snacks.

But I have noticed that some days are different than others and I really think it is because some days are just more restrictive.

Do any of you have this?

Actually I think I would like more of those days and perhaps I will speak to my Dr about another fill.

Let me know, thanks Debbie

I had my 1st fill last week and also feel restriction some times and not others. Some days I can eat almost like preband and other days not so. I have 2 weeks to go before my next appt when I hope to get another fill. I've actually started gaining weight back and it scares me. :cool2: I've put on 2 pounds again. :) At 1st I thought it was just Water weight or something strange like that but it's not budging, after 5 days. I don't want to think I went through all of this for nothing. Not sure what to do. :) I'm still following the rules and exercising. Guess I just need encouragement. Simone (formerly Simon)

Debbie, our hormones will give us more restriction as we get nearer the time of month (TOM). Even those of us that have had hysterectomies will experience it. I'm going thru that again too. I'm having a horrible time getting anything down today. Hoping that eases up before Thanksgiving. My mother would kill me.

Also like Jack said, we have a protective thing that happens when we try to drink or eat to fast.

Like you I love having some restriction. I'm hoping for greater. I talked to a fellow banded lady, and she's has 46 fills/unfills, in 5 yrs. That blows my mind :) But she looks AWESOME! But hey... whatever it takes. I chose this route for reasons. My personal reason was having the adjustments, as it made me more accountable. If I have dr's and such following me, I'm more apt to keep working it. :)

anyway, I hope this helped.

teri

Thank you all so much. Teri, we must be soul sisters. A lot of what you write could have come from me. Hang in there, Thanksgiving will be fine. At first I was SO FREAKED OUT, then I relaxed, made a plan and will eat some of my Daughter's turkey, very slow. She is even going to make me my own baked sweet potato. And frankly, I don't care who I offend. For once in my life, once I think I am full, I am taking a walk and leaving the food (and dishes) to the others. I have done clean up duty all my life and I am well aware of my "picking" tendancy in regards to that damn Turkey carcass.

Jack, so nice to hear from an "experienced" bandster. I try so hard to take small bites and eat slow. Nothing has touched my lips that is not on my Drs instruction sheet. But with liquids, sometimes I blow it and I notice my sip might be too big. I am so glad you were able to explain about the weird spasm thing. But, no sugar and no carbination, just diluted crystal light.

Also, thanks for the explanition for my "restricted days". I love those days, today I am having one. As I have said before, weekends are the hardest for me, weekdays I have a schedule and work to do. Weekends have no structure.

I finally broke my plateau today and it feels good to see a downward trend again :laugh: Debbie

I hit my brick wall already... and in fact gained 2 pounds yesterday. Probably nearing that TOM.

I'm glad you broke your plateau.

Teri

I have started to notice the more restriction days now that I have had my 2nd fill. There are times when I can feel my Water going down my throat like normal, then others I can feel it back up a little. I know that swallow must have been too big. Thankfully, it didn't hurt. I am learning to REALLY get to know my food. One thing that sticks out to me, the food that isn't the best for us, tastes REALLY disgusting when chewed very well. I shudder at the thought now of some things. I would like a little more restriction though. I eat way less, but I still get hungry before 4 or 5 hours are up. I know it isn't head hunger, but true hunger. That makes it hard to stick to 3 meals a day with no Snacks if you stomach is grumbling. It also makes it harder because if you feel that you are starving at the next meal, you will eat faster. I learned that one the hard way. That is one thing I will say for the band, once you experience something unpleasant, it makes you think a little harder the next time.

I have started to notice the more restriction days now that I have had my 2nd fill. There are times when I can feel my Water going down my throat like normal, then others I can feel it back up a little. I know that swallow must have been too big. Thankfully, it didn't hurt. I am learning to REALLY get to know my food. One thing that sticks out to me, the food that isn't the best for us, tastes REALLY disgusting when chewed very well. I shudder at the thought now of some things. I would like a little more restriction though. I eat way less, but I still get hungry before 4 or 5 hours are up. I know it isn't head hunger, but true hunger. That makes it hard to stick to 3 meals a day with no Snacks if you stomach is grumbling. It also makes it harder because if you feel that you are starving at the next meal, you will eat faster. I learned that one the hard way. That is one thing I will say for the band, once you experience something unpleasant, it makes you think a little harder the next time.

I know that every Doctor is different, boy did we find that out on our phases. My Doctor allows Snacks. If you don't need it, you don't eat it. And I cannot believe I am saying this, but usually I don't need it. BUT - he said that he would rather we eat a snack than blow it at the next meal. Yes, when you are REALLY hungry you eat faster and make poor choices. No the snacks cannot be empty calorie, sugar free Jello for instance, needs to be protien or Calcium product.

Just what my Dr does. Good luck, glad you got your sencond fill.

And you are right, swallow wrong and PAIN :) I learned that the hard way too.

Debbie

I'm kindda looking forward to my next fill, as I'm having less and less restriction. I still get in "Trouble" if I try to eat to fast. Or don't chew well enough. But it's hard to limit what I eat, and how often I eat. Thanksgiving is gonna be hard. And I'm going to have 25 sets of eyes on how much I eat. :)

Teri

I'm kindda looking forward to my next fill, as I'm having less and less restriction. I still get in "Trouble" if I try to eat to fast. Or don't chew well enough. But it's hard to limit what I eat, and how often I eat. Thanksgiving is gonna be hard. And I'm going to have 25 sets of eyes on how much I eat. :grouphug:

Teri

I was almost floored when my Dr matter of factly told me that it's going to happen. It's a learning experience. When you get the icky feeling - getting stuck - just go to liquids for a few days. Seems they expect us to BLOW IT.

You know, the 25 sets of eyes, that unnerves me. My Mom will say things, meaning to help, but last night I wanted to KILL :grouphug:. But then she sweetly said, aren't you glad you have me here to help. OY. Her heart is in the right place, but sometimes.

Teri - good luck with Thanksgiving. I feel like puking myself. I am so nervous. I think I will take a protien drink, just in case. Take Care Debbie

The actual day I didn't do bad, I thought, but somehow the scale moved up a pound, but I've burned it off now. I'm back down steady at the 224 range. Anyway, the night of thanksgiving (going into black friday) Matthew had a HUGE seizure, so I stressed and apparently my band doesn't like stress. I felt like I did immediately post op. It wasn't until he was downgraded from critical to stable, and they were talking about sending him home, that I was able to eat more than ice cream (which I kept to a minimum), and Water.

teri

The actual day I didn't do bad, I thought, but somehow the scale moved up a pound, but I've burned it off now. I'm back down steady at the 224 range. Anyway, the night of thanksgiving (going into black friday) Matthew had a HUGE seizure, so I stressed and apparently my band doesn't like stress. I felt like I did immediately post op. It wasn't until he was downgraded from critical to stable, and they were talking about sending him home, that I was able to eat more than ice cream (which I kept to a minimum), and Water.

teri

Teri,

I hope all is well with Matthew now. I am so sorry to hear he was critical, but relieved to hear he became stable. I truely hope that he is much much better now and that he is home and that you are able to relax. What a Thanksgiving. Not only the stress of the "day" but with a critically sick child too. Teri, my heart goes out to you.

Funny about that band. I thought stress would cause us to go back to our pre band eating pattern, but I have noticed that my stress causes me the most restriction. Sounds like you too. I reverted to liquids and this past weekend we were in Vegas. I was so scared. I did fantastic! My husband and I even went out to dinner and I had my first STEAK. We shared a dinner. I told the waitress that I had just had surgery and that I couldnt eat very much. She was very understanding and she has had other customers with the same issues. Hubby had Steak and Fried and I had a tiny portion of the steak with steamed veggies. I aLmost ate too much, the steamed veggies were devine. Teri, I licked the steak and swished my broccoli in the juice. It was heaven. I ate very slowly and savored EVERY bite.

I hope you are doing better. Hang in there. To make it through the stress you encountered the last few days is a feat in itself. Teri, you are doing fantastic. Keep your chin up! Oh and SMILE - Debbie great big bear hug :thumbup:

My Mom will say things, meaning to help, but last night I wanted to KILL :thumbup:. But then she sweetly said, aren't you glad you have me here to help. OY. Her heart is in the right place, but sometimes.

Your mom and my mom must get together and talk. My mom keeps asking me when am I going to START losing weight. Then she asks when are they going to pump up my band to make me lose weight. I know that she is trying to be supportive, but pointing out that she isn't seeing that I have lost almost 30 pounds is NOT helping me. Between her and my aunt, they ask me every time they talk to me (several times a week) how much weight I have lost. I don't have to the heart to tell them to stop asking already!!!! I just take a deep breath and explain (again) that this isn't like gastric bypass and that my weight loss is supposed to be slow. They have both asked me if I regret this. It hasn't been long enough for me to regret it. You have to love the parents.:wink2:

Your mom and my mom must get together and talk. My mom keeps asking me when am I going to START losing weight. Then she asks when are they going to pump up my band to make me lose weight. I know that she is trying to be supportive, but pointing out that she isn't seeing that I have lost almost 30 pounds is NOT helping me. Between her and my aunt, they ask me every time they talk to me (several times a week) how much weight I have lost. I don't have to the heart to tell them to stop asking already!!!! I just take a deep breath and explain (again) that this isn't like gastric bypass and that my weight loss is supposed to be slow. They have both asked me if I regret this. It hasn't been long enough for me to regret it. You have to love the parents.:(

Moms - dont you love them............... :thumbup:

Hey, 30 pounds is a lot. You should be very proud of your progress. And yes, this is not gastric bypass and slow is better. You know, I bet your cholestrol and blood panels are better than they were before. Now that is something to "crow" about :wink2: Debbie