Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7-13-05 went on and want it out!

Guest amylea

Guest amylea

7-13 was supposed to start a new life and now all i want is my old life back. Dr. overfilled during surgery and i paid dearly for 2 days. Now open all the way to relieve swelling so liquids last 15 minutes and go out the other way. Quick too-run girl-run!! Thinking of pulling it out myself! Someone please tell me what have i done??

Oh, Amy, you poor thing! I'm so sorry you're going through this. Where were you banded? It's not the usual practice to put in any fill during surgery, I guess for precisely this reason.

If it makes you feel any better, almost everyone has diarrhea after surgery. Liquids in, liquids out for a little while, and it can indeed be rough. Anaesthesia doesn't help matters any. The good news is that it will pass and now that you have no fill your stomach can rest and adjust to the band in peace.

Are you on full liquids yet? Have you progressed to Protein drinks and other protein-rich liquids (like Soups?) Those can really help with the hungries.

We all felt that stage of buyer's remorse, you're perfectly normal. Take good care of yourself and be kind to yourself, and in a few days you'll be feeling good as gold. And a few days after that, when you weigh yourself, you'll remember what this is all about. :(

Buyer's remorse, EXACTLY! I had it, too. Though not quite as desperately as you seem to have it! I researched and read and was totally NOT surprised by ANYthing that happened to me Post-surgery. However, there's nothing like living through it. Some folks have the smoothest time, feel great, no problems. I wasn't one of them. I had swelling (with NO fill!) and could only take small sips of liquids. Any time I tried to push it, it would get a little worse, then I started to PB...jello, of all things! I was TIGHT! and miserable. Honestly. Once I got to week two post-surgery, I felt like I was finally back to square one. I pretended I had just been banded and started back at the beginning with Clear Liquids. It was hard. And frustrating. But I made it through. Believe me, there were a few good moments where I wondered, "What the Hell have I done!!!" It took me to week 13 or so post-op to get my first fill. Others were begging for fills at 6 weeks. Not me! I took my sweet time. I initially lost and kept off 15 pounds. I never gained it back, even when eating slowly got easier and easier. But I didn't lose again until I was ready to try and ready for my first fill. Now I have lost about 24 pounds. Not too shabby! I am finally below 200 pounds, just barely, but it feels so good to see a "1" instead of a "2". I can do this with the help of my aggravating, fickle little band. It's still a Love/Hate thing sometimes. But it's working, so it's hard not to argue with the little booger.

Chin up, it DOES get better! Do lots of reading on here and get some advice about how to handle things both physically with your eating and mentally with dealing with banded life.

Folks can probably give better advice if you'll tell us more than that you have been banded 5 days. Who's your doc (they all do a little different, some other patient's of his/hers might could help)? What size is your band? How much weight are you wanting to lose? What's your diet like at day 5 (another big difference between docs is the post-op menu)?

I see this is your second post, so I will find you elsewhere...anyhow, welcome to LBT, the BEST support system for Bandsters! You made the right stop. You can do this!!!