Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A new reflux question

I hate reflux!! Reflux is a new experinence for me. I mean since getting the band. I don't get it when I sleep. Just during the day certain things will trigger it.

I started excercising and I get it BAD when I excercise. Anyone have a good tip for getting rid of excercise reflux?

I take a prilosec everyday. Also, have people found that the prescriptions for relflux work better than prilosec?

Thanks!

Lindsay

Reflux is hell, no question. Mine was at night only, however. Never when I exercised. Are you doing all the basic rules for avoiding reflux -- no spicy foods, etc. WebMD has some good information on their site about it (http://www.webmd.com)

I was on Nexium. It helped the acid but not the reflux. I finally got an unfill to let things settle down a bit and will go back for another, smaller fill later.

Good luck.

Elizabeth

8-28-03

hi

I take prevacid everyday.I also got the reflux when I would try to exercise.Now I swim a little but no real exercise....bad bad.....I tried for about 6 weeks (after the initial 3 weeks...) and well,reflux reflux.

Prevacid and less Water.....I know this sounds strange but drinking to much Water seemed to make it worse.And I chew sugar free gum and that helps for the reflux and heartburn....I dont know why....I read about it on a website.....

Hope it goes away......

Prilosec worked great for me for my gastritis,,

You sure it is reflux? I had gastritis and only had symptoms of heart burn during the day at he same time every day...alot of people think gastritis is reflux but it is not the same. I never had symptoms at night and my symptoms only lasted for an hour or so

I don't have a fill so there is nothing to take out.

It is not the heartburn symptoms it is the fact that stuff comes back up and there is burning. Very rarely it is acidy. It girgles in my throat. I cannot keep down Water beacuse it comes back up. If it is a serious case I get a sore throat afterwards. When I excercised today it was really bad.

And I feel like I have to burp but I can't...and it just sits there and burns.

Hey lins, I'm sorry about all this reflux/gastritis/heartburn/acid/esophogits/whatever this is!! I had trouble myself. I don't know if what happened to me is the same, but I'll post the link to this thread and maybe you will find something helpful. First thing I'd do though is take your Prilosec TWICE a day rather than once. I know it says 24 hour relief. I personally ignored that and crushed it twice a day. Worked for me, and some other things...do a bit of quick reading and see...maybe it will help you?

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6713&highlight=Esophogitis

I don't have a fill either (9.75 Inamed band)

Dr McKeenn prescribed Prevacid supension, 30 mg packets

mix with 2 tlbs Water

I love these, take heart burn away....I only use them 3 times a week.

Michelle,

I think you are right!!! WOW! You are good. I just read the symptoms of gastritis. Here is a great link on gastritis: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/10487-6.asp

I do have a question. It says there are several different meds. It includes zantac in one category and prevacid/priolsec in another category. Would it be ok to take both? I have been taking priolsec daily. I am going to call my doc and try to get some prevacid. I am also going to call my lapband doc.

THANKS SO MUCH for all the great info!

Here is the part about the meds:

Medications|

Histamine (H2) blockers: Four histamine blockers are available in the United States. Some are available without a prescription; others require a prescription.

• All work by blocking the release of acid from specialized glands in your stomach.

• The idea is that producing less acid allows your stomach to heal.

• Once healed, the previously inflamed stomach then causes no further symptoms.

• Commonly prescribed H2-blockers include cimetidine (Tagamet), famotidine (Pepcid), nizatidine (Axid), and ranitidine (Zantac).

Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs): These medications are very powerful blockers of the stomach's ability to secrete acid.

• A health care provider who prescribes one of these medications to treat your gastritis may be doing so in consultation with a gastroenterologist.

• These medications include lansoprazole (Prevacid) and omeprazole (Prilosec, Losec).

Coating agents: These medications protect the stomach's lining.

• Sucralfate (Carafate) – Coats and protects the stomach lining

• Misoprostol (Cytotec) – Also protects the stomach lining, used as a preventive measure for people taking NSAIDs who are at high risk for developing stomach damage