Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My French band is portruding like an outie!!

Guest bandita

Guest bandita

My French band is portruding like an outie. I have lost 70 lbs and have another 50 to go.Afraid of what it will look like. Anyone experiencing this.

Please help....

Thanks

I assume you're talking about the port. No, there's nothing you can do about it, short of having surgery again to get it placed deeper and sewed down. If you plan to get a Tummy Tuck, it might be a good plan to get the port repositioned at that time.

I am guessing you had Frering as your surgeon ... that's just how he does it. He places the port right under your skin and doesn't suture it down. I personally much prefer having it deeper and sewed down, but I have to admit it made my post-surgery recovery much harder (my first band was done by Frering, my second band was done in the U.S. ... that's why I can compare).

-Yvonne

Guest hunnie-b

I have been told that you can get a smaller port fitted when you have it moved - might be worth thinking about if it is already sticking out a lot. I had my band fitted by Dr Frering and have the same thing - right from day one the port was laying on it's side and a 'sharp' edge was sticking out - you can actually feel the notch on the side of the port.

If there was a choice between remaining the same size forever with no port sticking out or having a protruding port and losing weight I know which one Im happy with!

Hunnie

My port protrudes quite noticably. I've been told that my fat does not lie in the skin, but deeper. They are now using a lower profile port, and again, I'm told that it would be simple to replace it.

I think I'll wait.

'down 85 lbs.: 15 to go!

My doctor said I have a lot of muscle mass around my abdomen and recommended I opt for the low-profile port so that it wouldn't be noticeable after I lose all of the weight. I'm not sure it this was a sales pitch, but the doctor knew I was paying for the whole gig right out of my pocket. I opted for the port (additional $700). Its been a little over two weeks (banded on 6/30/2005) and I actually have to poke around now to find the port, it stuck out quite a bit until all of the swelling went down. I know it will take some time before I know if I got my money's worth, but at this point I'm glad I went for it.

This is one reason why I have opted for an American surgeon whom is one of the top 3 lap-band surgeons in the U.S., I am so sorry you are going through that, your finally getting the body you've always wanted, and now there is something else wrong. Hope you can find a solution to the problem, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Well, Frering is one of the top lap-band surgeons in the world. He has his reasons for placing the port the way he does.

I don't think something is really "wrong" with her band or port. It's just the way it is, and she's finding it annoying. I did too, but not to the point where I would have had surgery just to fix that.

I would, I finally get my perfect body and now there is an imperfection in my dream turned reality. Her port should have been smaller and deeper into the body, this problem sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Also she may have a different type of banding system than those who have gotten their band in the U.S. since only one band is legal here, while many other kinds are legal elsewhere. Why not get the surgery in the states? I just don't get where you are cutting any costs what so ever