Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Getting Surg. Date Thurs.

I've lurked around this site for about 7-8 months now. Pretty much since I made the decision to get banded, through my 6 months for insurance approval and now up to my last appointment (this Thursday) before I get my surgery. Hoping to have the surgery around Dec. 8th.

I have struggled w/weight since about 14 years old. Have always been an active person, just overweight. Was diagnosed with PCOS just over a year ago. It was my OBGYN who suggested this surgery. I am having the surgery because I want to be healthy, I want my life back and most importantly, I want to have a child.

I think a buddy/mentor would benefit me. I don't personally know anyone else who has had this procedure. It would help me to have someone to answer or give advice on my questions and concerns.

Here's the thing. I am not a rah-rah, smiley face every other word, frilly, jesus loves you, needlepoint kind of girl. No offense to anyone who is, I am just not that way. I respect a great sense of humor and a true and honest NO BS type of attitude.

If anyone thinks they might be a good match as a mentor for me, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by picklehead
spelling correction

Hi, congratulations on making this big decision to becoming a healthier new you. I had surgery back on 07/11/08 and have lost apprx 80lbs so far. I've still got a good ways to go, but I know now that i will get there. I had surgery in Mexico and I can remember afterwards having so many questions and concerns. If I can help you in any way, just let me know. Take care.

Lisa

Hi...who did you're surgery in Mexico? I'm scheduled in Monterrey next week and would love to hear from someone else how has been there and had good luck! Thanks!

I had the surgery done on Friday, July 11, 2008. I thought I would be fine to go back to work the following Tuesday, but I made it 1/2 day and left and didn't come back until that next Monday, so I was out about a week. I had never had surgery before, so I was in for a shock with the gas alone. I had it done in Mexicali, Mexico by Drs. Abril and Ham and of course I was nervous, but it was a wonderful experience. I work at a hospital, so I know the ropes a little bit and they were very professional and the facility was beautiful. I would definitely recommend it.

Yeah, I think that is to be expected. You will feel so much better and so glad you took that step to a healthier new you once it's over. Good luck!!