Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First appointment scheduled... then what?

So I finally found a surgeon who is in my network. I scheduled an appointment to meet him in December. I attended his seminar last month. What will happen at this first appointment and what will happen after? How long will I have to wait until my surgery?

It totally depends. I went to the seminar and then at my first appt I met with my surgeon and the dietician. I was told to go on a 6-month supervised weight loss and I had to attend class once a month.

At my final class, I met again with the dietician and my surgeon. I was then scheduled for a Psych evaluation and set up for my pre-op testing, which included blood work, an EKG, a chest x-ray, and pulmonary function test. Some pre-op testing includes an upper GI test ... it all depends on your surgeron.

A couple weeks after that, I was finally approved for surgery. I have to take a pre-op class on December 9 and my surgery is scheduled for Dec 19. (They'd prefer my pre-op class to be at least 2 weeks before, but I have a presentation the day they wanted me to go orginally.)

It really depends on your surgeon and your insurance. Sometimes you can get approved right away and in surgery within a couple months. Other times, you need to go through supervised weight loss. Your first appt will answer many of your questions.

I did the seminar and my first appt. at the same time. My insurance (Aetna) made me do a 3 month diet under a dietician's care as well as a psyc eval. I did an endoscopy, blood work and I finally got my approval. I started in June and am now ready

Do you have HMO or PPO? I hope that I don't have to go on a six month waiting period. I have been waiting 7 months to get my PPO because my HMO kept turning me down...

Do you have HMO or PPO? I hope that I don't have to go on a six month waiting period. I have been waiting 7 months to get my PPO because my HMO kept turning me down...

I have a PPO. I also have Anthem; I work in medical billing, so I know Anthem is usually hard to get approvals from, so that may be part of my 6 months of SWL classes.

oh crap so i was thinking that once i got my ppo that it would be a breeze from here... i work for medical billing too! but i bill private workers comp insurance companies not group. so do you have sleep apnea or any morbid conditions?

I had my first surgeon appt today after waiting 5 wks to get in after the seminar. They gave me a big packet and told me to call my insurance which is BC/BS HMO and find out who they want me to see for psych and dietician. See them both 2 times, get lab work, go to 2 support mtgs., get a letter from my pcp that surgery is warranted. Have a follow up appt with the surgeon for Jan. and was told not to gain any wt. between now and then.:grouphug: They will then review everything and send it all into the insurance for approval. No discussion today about a surgery date.:grouphug: I will have my work cut out for me. It will all be worth it!

oh crap so i was thinking that once i got my ppo that it would be a breeze from here... i work for medical billing too! but i bill private workers comp insurance companies not group. so do you have sleep apnea or any morbid conditions?

Not really. I have hypothyroidism and asthma, but those don't really count as co-morbidities. My health is actually really good according to my pre-op lab work -- good cholesterol, good BP, normal EKG, etc. It may be easier to get approval if you have diabetes or some other condition, I'm not sure.

Your doctor's office also has to word everything just right (esp. for BC/BS) because insurance companies will deny for the smallest thing. In my experience with medical billing, I think Aetna is about the best for approvals and BC/BS (Anthem) is about the worst.

You may need to do some supervised weight loss or something, but that's OK. It prepared me for the idea of surgery and I've been getting used to not drinking soda, etc before the surgery. I started all this in March/April and I'm having surgery in just a few weeks. Since I'm young and my health is good, the wait wasn't a problem really. I can do pretty much anything I want still ... it's just a fat girl doing it, you know? I'm thankful I had to wait.

Ok ya I am young too... 26... and totally healthy except for my weight. I have no other problems whatsoever. Its just that I have been fat my whole life and on and off diets for my whole life. I wish I had the funds to just go and pay cash. A girlfriend of mine did it a year ago and she looks soooo good. I am soooo jealous! Where you from? what do you mean they have to get the wording just right? do you have any suggestions about what i should say in that big packet that they gave me? someone was telling me that i should say i have sleep apnea.

Hi Greeneyed Lady. Looks like you have a plan... Good for you. It will all be worth it... just the waiting SUCKS!

Ok ya I am young too... 26... and totally healthy except for my weight. I have no other problems whatsoever. Its just that I have been fat my whole life and on and off diets for my whole life. I wish I had the funds to just go and pay cash. A girlfriend of mine did it a year ago and she looks soooo good. I am soooo jealous! Where you from? what do you mean they have to get the wording just right? do you have any suggestions about what i should say in that big packet that they gave me? someone was telling me that i should say i have sleep apnea.

Same with me ... I've been fat most of my life (since probably age 7?) and have dieted on and off since then.

I'm from Indiana.

Insurance companies are weird and will deny surgeries for the smallest things. I'm sure your doctor's office will have written out a carefully worded letter they know the insurance companies won't have a problem with.

Well, if you don't have sleep apnea, I wouldn't say you do. They'll make you get a sleep study in your pre-op testing and will find out you don't have it. Just be honest in your packet cause they'll test you for everything you have. If you have an idea of what diets you've been on and how much weight you've lost/gained, that's helpful usually. Being honest is the best thing ... the doctor's office is going to work really hard to get you approved. I know mine did. That did include 6 months of supervised weight loss, but that's OK. Good luck!

Yeah good point about being honest about it. My appointment is friday and i am excited and nervous. :cursing:. Looking back on the scheme of things... the past six months have gone by pretty quickly so i can wait another six months...although i want it right now! do you have any kids? i have a three year old little girl. are you in school?

I started the process in July, surgery is 12/18. It was mostly waiting for the initial seminar and first meeting with the surgeon that took the longest. Since the end of Oct it has been one appointment after another for all of the various tests that are required. At least it makes the time go by! I have a 4 week liquid Medifast pre-op as well, can't wait for this phase to end! I guess each center is different,but it's definatley not a fast process, good luck!

This waiting time is a good chance for you to see if you can make the lifestyle/eating changes that you MUST make to be successful with the Lap Band. You will have to change your eating habits, and for many of us the band is not much help at first. It takes some time to get to the right amount of restriction after healing from surgery, and during that time you are pretty much going to be depending on the change in your eating habits for weight loss. The one thread that runs through everyone's Band experience is that the Band is only a tool. It is up to you to use the tool in a way that makes it work most effectively. But it IS a marvelous tool, and I'm so thankful I have mine. :cursing:

Good luck and best wishes as you begin this journey!

Yeah good point about being honest about it. My appointment is friday and i am excited and nervous. :cursing:. Looking back on the scheme of things... the past six months have gone by pretty quickly so i can wait another six months...although i want it right now! do you have any kids? i have a three year old little girl. are you in school?

I totally understand about wanting it right now. :blushing: I think waiting was good for me, though.

Nope, no kids. I'm in graduate school right now ... should be done in about a year! (Hopefully much skinnier then, too!)