Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weather and Restrictions?

This is my first big temperature change since getting the band. Twice now, when we have had a cold front moving in I experiene greater restrictions. I work with two other banders and they have the same eperience. This weekend I threw up for the 1st time in a long time and we had a cold front blow in Friday night. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the tempreture, barimetric pressure or just a Coincidence?

Edited by miss meliss

This is my first big temperature change since getting the band. Twice now, when we have had a cold front moving in I experiene greater restrictions. I work with two other banders and they have the same eperience. This weekend I threw up for the 1st time in a long time and we had a cold front blow in Friday night. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it the tempreture, barimetric pressure or just a Coincidence?

For me its the Barometric Pressure.

I am a person where the BP affects me , a change in it will give me Migraines. So it also affects my band. If it drops below a certain number my band gets tighter. I have a small barometer in my house for this reason

Mindy

Actually, colder weather tends to make our bodies produce more mucus. We swallow the mucus (we do it subconsciously most of the time) and then that "clogs" the band opening. This is also the reason many of us are *tight* in the morning -- all the mucus and saliva our bodies produce at night get swallowed as we sleep and can clog the band area.

So, the change in weather may have your body producing more mucus. This may be what's going on. One way to combat it is to have about 1/2 cup of *HOT* Water (hot like you would use for tea). This will flush the mucus through and less likely you'll PB. Also helps in the morning time if you are tight then too.

Hope this helps.

Actually, colder weather tends to make our bodies produce more mucus. We swallow the mucus (we do it subconsciously most of the time) and then that "clogs" the band opening. This is also the reason many of us are *tight* in the morning -- all the mucus and saliva our bodies produce at night get swallowed as we sleep and can clog the band area.

So, the change in weather may have your body producing more mucus. This may be what's going on. One way to combat it is to have about 1/2 cup of *HOT* Water (hot like you would use for tea). This will flush the mucus through and less likely you'll PB. Also helps in the morning time if you are tight then too.

Hope this helps.

Cold in general makes the band tighten up . That is why if you drink something cold before you eat the band will tighten up . the mucus thing is a whole different ball game.

I live in Texas , allergies are BAD REAL bad here.

There are some docs if you have bad sinus drainage wont band you because it can affect the band .

Here the summer can be just as bad for sinus and mucus build up as the cold. So not saying your wrong but I thinl they can be 2 issues .

HTH

Mindy

Funny you should say that. We had a cold snap this week as well, and I PBd on Monday night. Out of the blue.... Just happened. I couldn't figure out why, but that may just explain it. It's new information to me, but I suppose it's possible. Flying in an airplane doesn't agree with me, so why not a change in barimetric pressure?

Very cool.

Since I am 57 down since surgery, and 99 down for the year, and a cold front is coming through tomorrow night... it should be a good weekend for getting into the triple digits! :rolleyes2:

I have been having a lot of mucus (drainage) for the past week and I have been miserable (constantly swallowing). What are ya'll taking? I've been trying Claritin but I haven't noticed any improvement.

Thanks!

Funny you should say that. We had a cold snap this week as well, and I PBd on Monday night. Out of the blue.... Just happened. I couldn't figure out why, but that may just explain it. It's new information to me, but I suppose it's possible. Flying in an airplane doesn't agree with me, so why not a change in barimetric pressure?

Flying is known to change the band as well.

Some docs if your one to tighten up will unfill you slightly when you fly . the cabin pressure can tighten it up .

Mindy

I have been having a lot of mucus (drainage) for the past week and I have been miserable (constantly swallowing). What are ya'll taking? I've been trying Claritin but I haven't noticed any improvement.

Thanks!

Claritain is like candy ! I take Prescription singular daily .

If i dont i'll drown in my sinus drainage in the morning .

If its not working for you try getting an RX from the doc.

I Live in Texas allergies are a way of life. There is a thing here called "Cedar Fever" , people are SO allergic to the cedar trees during certain times of the yr they have to literally leave town.

My husband gets so sick every yr its like he has the flu but its from Cedar Allergies !

I've had Cedar Fever. My face will swell up the size of a basketball. My eyes swell shut. My sinuses get totally blocked and I eventually develop a sinus infection complete with high fever. It's miserable. After several years of suffering, I decided to get allergy shots every two weeks from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day. Thank God I moved to Corpus Christi. There are no Cedar trees here, and the climate is dry so I am allergy free. Woo Hoo!!! But I feel for those who suffer.