Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Omen - Surgery in Texas on Wednesday

I need some help.... sometimes I get these feelings that I am not suppose to have this surgery at this time....surgery is already scheduled for Wednesday the 20th....now the storm is coming....I already mailed my check to the Dr. for $14,700 which is what is on the sheet the secretary in the Dr.'s office gave me. It listed the Dr.'s fees, facility fees, and amount for Anethesia...so I mailed a check for the full amount last week.

Today, I get another invoice in the mail from the facility stating the cost will be $1400 more than the Doctor's office quoted. I am self pay and have made arrangements for $14,700, now its the Saturday before the Wednesday of surgery and they want $1400 more.

I see this as another sign for me to wait...or not do it at all....I have been excited...but now I am very discouraged.....if they can't get together on their payments and pricing...can I count on them to do a good job when they have me on the table....icon9.gif

DeeJay, did the new invoice say what it was for? If any of the costs were estimates when you were presented with the prices, they should have said so. Why are they asking you for 10% more now? You have every right to know and shouldn't feel awkward about asking.

That said, your readiness to see this as a bad omen seems to say that you really have doubts about the surgery in the first place. It's unfortunate that you're getting a surprose invoice now, certainly, but the people doing the billing are not the same people who will be operating on you. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

If you are ready for surgery, go ahead with it and deal with the additional $1400 as the separate issue it is. But if you have nagging doubts about being banded next week, so much so that this seems ominous to you, perhaps there's more going on and you should listen to that inner voice.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Thank you Jack and Alex for your support. I really have made up my mind to do this....its just that I had a long day....thought everything was settled and when I opened the envelope I was really aggravated....this is a lot of money....my consultation was in the third week in June...I remember the Doctor saying I would need a low profile port....then I was turned over to the nurse or secretary and she told me the cost of $14,700. The facility now says $700 is for the low profile port and didn't state why the other $700 was to be charged....do they really believe money grows on trees...the psych eval was $175...I haven't even received the bill for my upper GI that was required...I just fill like they had a month to get their act together to correct any mistakes, etc.

There is a really good Dr. here in Lake Charles, LA where I live....he does mostly Gastric ByPass. However at the LapBand support meeting they stated he has about 150 lapbands "under his belt" now... I don't know if that is enough however his self pay is several thousand dollars less than the Doctor in Houston. Do you all believe 150 lapbands is enough experience, at least he would be here in my home town and he does have excellent post op care. Dr. Chung is an excellent surgeon and has an excellent reputation in out town. Any comments will be appreciated....

I agree with you, this is very omen-esque.

Get copies from all the tests that were done so far, then take some time to do some further checking into the Doc in Lake Charles. Then see who else is in driving distance.

This is a long-term relationship you are starting. Having someone within immediate reach for fills, follow-ups and concerns over the next few years is just as important as the initial procedure.

DeeJay, 150 bands is PLENTY of experience. It's way more than lots of doctors have. I'd be completely confident in such a doctor, unless his complication rate was higher than 3-5% (depending on how they define "complication"). Perhaps your instincts are telling you something, and going to the closer doctor could be important. I'm very close to my docs and it's the number one reason I've had close and careful aftercare. If it were any more of a hassle to see my doctors I am sure I would have put it off at some point of other, with possibly negative consequences.

I agree my doctor has done about 150 lapbands; Alexandra is right, check if he has had any complications. I think it would be better to be close to home. Make sure you don't lose any of your money if you cancel the surgery.

Guest lizzyd

Dear DeeJay,

There's a name for what your doctor's office is doing to you. It's called the "bait and switch". It's when something is quoted at a price of $XX, and then, once you've booked it, cleared your calendar, made arrangements for $XX, mentally prepared for and become invested in having the procedure on that date, then they tell you "OOps, it's going to be 10% more".

In Massachusetts this is illegal. What are your consumer protection laws like in Louisiana?

Personally, I would go for the doctor closer to home. I would call the original guy and ask for my money back. If he says no, I'd let him know I was going to report him to your state Attorney General's office of Consumer Affairs to open an investigation into his business practices, and that you'll then write to the disciplinary committee of the Louisiana Medical Association to see if his bait and switch scheme is cause for action. If they still say no, go home and write both letters. Courtesy copy the doctor, and see if that budges him.

All of this may not be necessary. But just in case ...

Granted, my suggestions are somewhat over the top, and there may be no evil intent on the part of the doctor, but whether it's incompetence or deliberate, the result for you is the same.

Plus, if he's this way with the surgery, how do you know you won't find out that each fill will be $1,000 the moment before you're supposed to have it done, when you were originally told it would be $100? (can you tell I have a flair for the dramatic?).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

LizzyD

I just wanted to let you all know that my surgery is back on for Wednesday with my original doctor. His office called today and explained confusion on their part and I will have my surgery for the original price they quoted $14,700. I know this Doctor has a good reputation for patient care...and I guess this proves it. The Doctor had told me I would need a "low profile port" from the start....however when they quoted the price a month ago....they quoted $14,700. Low profile ports cost more...but they didn't add it in the cost....so they said they will absorb the difference. They were very kind and said they didn't want me to miss the surgery if it was what I really wanted to do. I guess you can't ask any more than this from anyone. I would appreciate your prayers I leave for Houston tomorrow. Thanks again for all your support. Thank goodness the storm didn't head straight for Houston, excuse me if I seem a little selfish right now....

I just wanted to let you all know that my surgery is back on for Wednesday with my original doctor. His office called today and explained confusion on their part and I will have my surgery for the original price they quoted $14,700. They were very kind and said they didn't want me to miss the surgery if it was what I really wanted to do. I guess you can't ask any more than this from anyone. I would appreciate your prayers I leave for Houston tomorrow. Thanks again for all your support. Thank goodness the storm didn't head straight for Houston, excuse me if I seem a little selfish right now....

Who's your Dr.? I'm going in tomorrow too! 7:30 at Houston Surgicare Center. Dr. Spivak is doing the honors! :)

BTW, mine was $15,500 and I am self-pay, too.

Good luck!

Colleen

Dr. Spivak - was my doctor....he is wonderful...and has a very good staff. The price of my surgery was quoted at the end of June..maybe they have goon up...However, there was a mixup both the surger center & Dr. Spivak's office had quoted $700 for anthestic. And they didn't tell me that a low profile port costs more...any way it was worked out and I had my surgery....not as much soreness for more gas....also the pain medicine makes you sleepy...It was so nice to go to Luby's Cafeteria on the way home at lunch and not have the desire to eat to much....I just had a bowl of strained vegetable soup....I know as heal I will be able to eat more until I get a fill....but its nice just the same...Good Luck to you....DeeJay

Sometimes I have almost-frightening feelings of intuition, and they are always dead-on so I've learned to listen to my gut. I've always said that if you get a bad omen, simply change the surgery date. Maybe it's not the actual surgery, but something else that could go wrong at that date or time. Just my opinion.

Wanna hear some proof? Another bandster called me in a near-panic before her surgery. She was freaked out, and I gave her the same advice. She ended up having a horrifying experience. Luckily, she ended up pulling through and is currently doing fabulous, but maybe her problems wouldn't have happened if she listened to her gut and changed the date? Ya never know about this kinda thing.