Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Looking for Male Mentor banded 11/12

Hi,

I am looking for a 48 year old male living in MA. I am looking for a mentor to help me through the coming weeks. I had surgery on 11/12. My first office visit back is 11/20. I lost 40 lbs before surgery. This clear liquid diet is rough!!

Mitch

Edited by Mgrmitch
missing info

Hi, I'm not quite 48, and don't live in MA, and had surgery one week before you, but if you have questions, I'd be happy to try to help. I also lost 40 lbs prior to surgery, but I know without the band, I'd gain it back next year. I've lost 10 lbs since the surgery, and now trying to hold stead or lose some more.

I only had Clear liquids for the first meal post-op, then onto full liquids for a week, mushies for a week, now starting soft foods for a week, then back to normal foods.

Hi MTBiker,

It would be great to keep in touch . I started at pretty much at the same stats 281/242/235/165. My Dr. has me on one week clear then one week creamy Soups etc then mush. How are you doing with your current diet??

I am finding that even though I don't have a fill, I seem to get full faster than before. Along with that, I find that I get hungry again in a couple hours, and not a gradual change, it is very quick, and I feel very hungry. Seems a little strange. But its only been 2 weeks, and perhaps things will even out over time. I had my 2 week follow up with the surgeon. He said I could do activities that didn't seem to hurt - I wanted to start playing ping pong again. He said I could start lifting weights at 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks. There's no way I can get 64 ounces of liquids, I struggle to get a 32 ounce bottle of Powerade Zero down in a day.

I am finding that even though I don't have a fill, I seem to get full faster than before. Along with that, I find that I get hungry again in a couple hours, and not a gradual change, it is very quick, and I feel very hungry. Seems a little strange. But its only been 2 weeks, and perhaps things will even out over time. I had my 2 week follow up with the surgeon. He said I could do activities that didn't seem to hurt - I wanted to start playing ping pong again. He said I could start lifting weights at 4 weeks instead of 6 weeks. There's no way I can get 64 ounces of liquids, I struggle to get a 32 ounce bottle of Powerade Zero down in a day.

Have you started to eat food yet?? After 8 days out I am going to try the treadmill this eve at a slower pace. I find it easier if i take a 20oz water bottle (does not look so big) with me at all times and commit to finishing it 3 times a day. I use the single serving packets of crystal lite (Dont think I could it if it was just water). I would like to start sit ups and weights at 4 weeks too I will ask MD. Did the first visit with Dr today. He said everything looked good (pulled off all my steri-tape like it was nothing) and to start stage II. Weight at the Dr's office 228.2 total loss of 53 pounds, 14 since surgery 8 days ago. I do not seem to be hungry but still have alot of gas. I have started the youtube blog seems to be helping and still trying to figure out all the formatting etc of the site. Having a video diary i think will help me out. We are very close in stats my goal is 165. When i was in the Air Force many years ago that was the weight i had to be!! LETS DO THIS TOGATHER!! I was stationed in Oscoda MI for 3 years:) By the way whats your name?? I am also using Worldwide Protein Shakes in a can from Trader Joe's. These are already mixed, also on Amazon they taste great and I am using the 35 grams of Protein Shake choc one in the morning and one at dinner so at min I have 70 grams of Protein a day. Hope this helps you. keep in touch!

Mitch

Edited by Mgrmitch

Hey Mitch, my name is Steve. Sounds like you have everything pretty much in hand. I have some of the Protein Powder mix, and have tried mixing it in smoothies, which aren't too bad, and with oatmeal and pudding, but after couple weeks, its pretty hard to take any more. Maybe the pre-mixed shakes would be better. I did buy some Special K Protein Water, that has 6g per bottle. So that's good to drink, just a little pricey. I'm on soft foods until next Tuesday, but soft foods are no big deal, I haven't had any problems eating, and no vomiting or nausea. I just haven't had much energy since the surgery. I was going to try to go to the ping pong club tonight and see how I would do, but I came down with a cold, so I will shoot for next week. I'd like to hear more about the youtube blog you talked about.

As far as my end goal, I got down to 172 in the year before I met my wife 20 years ago, so that's the weight I am shooting for again. Even at that weight I wasn't thin, but that would still be a pretty respectable weight.

As far as my end goal, I got down to 172 in the year before I met my wife 20 years ago, so that's the weight I am shooting for again. Even at that weight I wasn't thin, but that would still be a pretty respectable weight.

How did your fill go?? Do you now feel restriction???

My first fill will be next Wednesday, right at the 6 week mark. I feel some restriction now, I don't eat as much at a sitting as I did before, but I get hungry again in a couple hours. I don't expect that to go away, they say we'll be eating more frequently now, just have to make sure it is something healthy, and that the meals are small in quantity. I'm hoping for a significant restriction, as my weight has been very steady since the initial drop after surgery. How are things going with you? It looks like you are continuing to lose weight rapidly.

Hi Steve,

How did the first fill go?? We had lost power here with an Ice storm for 8 days. I pretty sure I have gained 4 pounds. We had to eat whatever was around and at hotels. Getting my first fill tomorrow. I still feel I can eat whatever I want with very little restriction. I am hoping for a good amount of CC fill to start to feel full and restriction.

Hey Mitch.

I posted the following in the November Bandsters forum. Like you , I didn't notice very much restriction. And to tell you the truth, I still don't. I would say I can eat about 80-90% of what I used to. The doctor is having me back in 3 weeks for another fill, since he didn't think I would feel much difference yet. Hopefully you get more impact from your fill.

My first fill was yesterday, 6 weeks to the date. I was numbed up, which felt like a bee sting, but it went instantly numb. He found the port easily enough, heck, I can find it just by looking down when I'm standing on the scale. But actually getting the needle into the right place was a different story. The was quite a bit of jabbing and pushing and trying this angle and that angle. At one point he was angled pretty much south of the border, and I wanted to remind him that those were not ports down there, thank you very much. Finally the needle found paydirt. He removed what was in there, 2cc, and then filled it up to 3.5 cc. I'm going back in 3 weeks for another fill, because he doesn't think I will notice it much. I was supposed to be on liquids for 24 hours, but this morning I had a Kashi bar anyway. I'm not noticing any difference. So to all of you coming up on the first fill... worry not, its not bad at all.

Hi Steve,

Well I had the first fill today!! My first fill was 4cc. No numbing or anything. One shot and straight in. I have the realize band, maybe that's different. I did feel the saline going in. It felt really weird very hard to describe. I did wind up gaining 3 pounds. With the power outage and all the snow we had here we had to stay in hotels 3 nights and an empty apartment my boss ownes for the remainder of the time and eat whatever I could get my hands on. As fart as the fill So far so good, I did have a low fat cottage cheese a few hours later (don't tell). Last week I think I felt some restriction. My port is also noticeable to me at least. It is on my lower stomach right side. I asked her why she put the port there today. She said during the operation there some bleeding from this cut which had to be fixed so instead of making another long cut she put the port there. If i want to move the port at a later time she can do that without a problem, but not without a cost:) Hopefully i will be able to eat something for Xmas dinner. Have a great Holiday!!