Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Big Fat Pig

Guest lilpugowner

Guest lilpugowner

Hi everyone...well today turned out to be uneventful...I was instructed by my supervisor that I was not to talk about the "incident" and that HR would be contacting me...The "ugly" person was there doing her usual job...did I mention that I am a nurse at a very large specialty clinic in San Diego? the "ugly" person is an medical assistant...Anyways If i'm not contacted tomorrow then I will follow up...I did walk in there feeling good about myself thanks to all of you...""""DeLarla...I think you had the best idea over all""" LOL...But I couldn't do that to my doctor or to my patients...I really love my job....Again thank you all so very very very much!!!!! I won't stop until this "ugly" person is gone...

Mari Ann

Great choice, I would have lost my job and freedom due to the urge to "assault and batter" that person and put her in her ignorant little place. I hate it when thin ppl make fun of big people just because they can and think they are so much better than the big person, in reality they are just luckier. I better not ever see that wench, I might have to go nuts, lol

I remember when I was 312, about 5 years ago, I was trying to lose weight and started walking with a girlfriend. She's pretty and thin and about the sweetest person you could ever hope to meet. Well, one evening we were walking down a busy block and as some guys in a truck drove by one of them leaned out and yelled, "WALK FASTER, YA F**N FAT ASS!!"

This was hardly the first time something like that had happened to me and I just shrugged it off, but my girlfriend was TOTALLY INCENSED. She just could not believe the cruelty of people. I mean it, she got so upset I thought she was going to start crying! She had NO idea people act like that. She really went on for quite some time. As I thought about her and her life I realized she had never actually experienced any discrimination of any kind in her life. (Imagine that!) And she was totally unprepared to deal with it. She was flabbergasted by my equanimity in the situation and I had to work at calming her down.

So anyway, she FINALLY got over it, but from then on I would feel myself clinch in anticipation when I was walking with her and I could hear a car coming. It wasn't long after that that I made an excuse to stop walking with her and bought an elliptical trainer to workout in privacy. chicken shit, uh? Yeah.

I did eventually end up losing a lot of weight and actually got down to 155 (before I crept back up to 228 & got this band). I could feel proud in public then and took up swing dancing. So often guys would flirt and come on to me and with those "truck types" I would have to hold myself back from snarling at them. You can tell who they are. And you can tell who the people are who are REALLY good people that love others for who they are no matter the size of their thighs.

I honestly think we have a tremendous advantage in life because we know in an intimate way what people are capable of. And I'm sure most of us can't help but have the empathy that so many lack. There is no doubt in my mind that I am a better person because of my weight struggles--and I bet YOU are TOO! Would I rather be a skinny bitch? Not for a second (....well, okay, maybe for JUST a second!! :) But really, what is being a better person worth? A LOT. Is the struggle worth it? I choose to believe it is--so it IS.

Now I just have to get to--as Kathy says--The Best ME!

She is the one who is going to look bad to everyone else. If that fails, give us all her phone number and we'll tag team crank call her! :)

Colleen

I'm glad your Monday went well and you had the backbone to stand straight and tall and have a huge amount of class. I've been there as well with people and their stupid, insensitive, and rude comments, animal noises, etc., These are ignorant people and as so many people have mentioned... Karma is a b****! I had a great example of that about a year ago. A boyfriend dumped my by answering machine (he had issues with my weight and no doubt "dating" other people) I truly wished him the woman he deserved. Years later he contacted me at 2:30am to "apologize" and called on several other occasions. I began to get hang up calls and wierd messages froma female. Turns out he had a whacked out ex girlfriend who was stealing his phone bills and calling the numbers on it to "find out if he was cheating on her". The evil elf in the back of my mind was rolling on the floor hysterical. Karma baby, it will bite you when you least expect it.

I was reading all your posts and thinking,obviously other than why do we have all the rude people in this world?!,but also i could not remember when i ever got made fun of for my weight. The next day i remembered-it was my fiancees sister (and in law),they just said how pretty i used to be when i was skinny, or something to that extent....and just now i remembered that last year i worked at walgreens as a cashier and a guy forgot something and asked me to hold onto his candy. He handed it to me then pointed and said"now dont eat that on me!" and a bunch of people in line chuckled under their breath.....it was so embarrassing that i tried to believe it didnt even happen...but anyways i just thought i`d mention my repressed memories!!!I hope everyone is going wonderfully :D

Guest lilpugowner

Thank you all again so much...everything is going good...I'm here at work right now...my internet at home is on the blink or I would have got on last night...anyways...I feel good, I really found out who my true friends are here..I have a great support group here at work...and of course ALL OF YOU OUT THERE IN "BANDLAND"...I actually came out of this a better person...I see things differently...My daughter who is "thick" about a size 12 in 7th grade came home one day upset becouse someone called her fat..well I gave her the same old speech..don't worry sweetheart there are always people like that out in the world....But now if it should happen i will let her talk out her feelings and help her through this sometimes ugly world and be there for her...just like all of you were for me...Thanks Again...

Mari Ann

well, maybe what happened to you happened for a reason. If you had not had the experience at work, and gotten on here for advice and went through the appropriate procedures at work, then maybe you would have reacted differently (more defensively) to your daughter's problem. Maybe the thing at work was practice for your patience. So just make it another blessing.

Back in the early 80's I visited the then USSR when there wasn't a lot of travel by Americans to that part of the world. I had received a Fulbright scholarship to study there for the summer. It was kind of a big deal in our small town, so there was an article in the local paper.

My son was in day care and one of the kids said, "Your mom is fat!"

Matthew told the kid, "Oh, yeah? Well she's the only human being to go to Russia!" What a sweet boy! Completely inaccurate, but sweet.

He just graduated from Texas A&M and is married. Time flies!

Colleen

Maryann I want to punch her lights out (an Old English saying !!) How rude and ignorant. Please dont worry about returning to work I'm sure she will be far mor embarassed than you. You hold your head high girl we are all rooting for you.

Gaynor (England)