Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Tas

Hi all,

I'm Moya, 33 from Tasmania, hoping to be banded in Jan at this stage!!

I'm hanging out for it to hurry up and happen, although I'm starting to wonder about a sleeve instead..

I want to loose apx 60 kgs, so have a massive (like me haha) road ahead!

Anyway I just thought I'd say hi! :thumbup:

Moya x

Hi Moya, im Chris from Blackmans Bay, or ccetasmania, im trying to start a support group for banders in Australia but mostly in Tassie, i had my band done by Dr. Wilkinson at Hobart private on 26/06/2008, i lost 12kg in the first 2 weeks, then i started to eat, i went through tough times for the first 3 months {emotionally} hense comfort eating!!! i got my first fill in August 5ml, i gradually worked another 3kgs off and then i had another fill last week to 7ml, i now have lost 3.8kg in 4 days taking me to a total of 20kg, i feel great, i have joined the gym at wrestpoint and im going strong, i wouldn't recommend the sleeve its very traumatic and a long healing process and very little room for error, i hope all goes well for you and i hope to hear from you, all the best regardless with what you choose, but just do it, you will feel the best you have felt in your life, i certainly do, until next time, Cheers Chris.:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that.

I have read a lot about the sleeve, and am aware of the healing etc, I'm still leaning towards the band, but just considering all the options.

Just wondering if you don't mind, what was your out of pocket diff with Dr W and how long did you have to wait between your consult and then op?

Well done on your progress so far, your doing a fantastic job.

Cheers

M

Hi again Moya,

the outa pockets with Dr. Wilkinson was $3532.80 then there was the $680 for the anaethatist and $250- for the excess on the MBF, but keep in mind if you are short of funds Dr. Wilkinson will allow you to pay the $3532.80 over a six month period, the anaethatist will give you 2 months but the excess on the health fund must be up front, Dr. Wilkinson would have to be the nicest surgeon i have ever met, however i have met Dr. Patinotinis {not correct spelling} and Dr. Milan Duric {again not correct spelling} they are both good as well, but Dr. Wilkinson just has an aura about him that makes you feel ok, on the time factor, when i got the fill last tuesday he was booking people in for this Tuesday, but when i had my consult i chose to wait 6 weeks as i was holidaying on the Gold Coast and Ballina and wanted to prepare and get as fit as i could, if you have the choice of day, go for the Thrsday as you dont book into the hospital until 11am then you can have a light Breakfast at 7am, operated on after 2pm {mine 6pm}released from hospital at 11am the next day, it was all good, i hope this helps, if i can answer anything else for you i am here, all the best to you, Best wishes Chris.

Hello Moya im one of wilko's girls too

banded 14 mths ago

he is a lovely man can be short on chat but I like him and he is very kind

Ive had a couple of fills with the lovely doc milan and he is very gentle too

dont worry you will be fine.....sleeve is a good option too i have a close friend who had it done but I chose the band as my first option n didnt give the sleeve a thought

Leeanne:lol:

hey all,

i agree mr wilkinson is very good! i got mine done a month and a bit ago, i work at the royal in icu and we get some of his larger patients, his commitment to follow up, silly questions and dedication to the cause is wonderful,

im with mbf, and had dr paton for anaesthic, it cos me a total of $1600

Hey there I am Emma from Tas , being banded by Dr

Tony Patiniotis on the 9th of October ......I am very excited and scared at the same time lol.....Cant wait to begin this new chapter in my life !!!!!!!

:thumbup:

emma,

i wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. the month of fluids is fun, and the days when you shall become unladylike and need to well express yourself yourself consitantly is the worst bit! for fluids, up and go especially in the fridge is great for breakie and even to have in the car. if you dont drink for a while you get a shocking headache and just dont feel right.

were are you having it done? good luck again

sus

Hey Skuzie I am being banded by Dr Patiniotis on the 9th Oct at the Royal Hobart Private Hosp.......I am very worried about what to "eat" after my op.....will drinks like up n go be ok ???......any and all suggestions on what to "eat" during liquid phase would be very welcome.......

hey emma,

i was done at the private, the ward nurses on 4th floor which is surgical which is were you probley will visit over night are very nice. what info has he given you? oh dont forget to ask for pain drugs!!! im a wimp, and had a lot of pain, and dont forget the shoulder tip pain, heat pack panadol or whatever analgesia helps, from all the gas they pump in, it took my stomach about a week for it to go down, it was amusing, cos i had to pull my stomach totally in so i could get out the shower, i had to giggle!!!!

for a month fluids, anything that could go through a straw, such as any fruit juices, V8 original is like cold horrible vegi Soup, but the citrus ones are good. in the fridge bit, drinking yoghurts, even nudie, gets some calories and some good stuff, in the Cereal isle, up and go, very filling with many flavours,

my suggestion is in the car or in your bag make sure you have a fruit juice or something. you probley wont be hungry, but still make sure you have nurtional drinks like that at least 3-5 times a day, also i found thouse big packet mixes of chicken noodle Soup were good, just strain the bits out, or any clear soup that you can drain out vegies, ministrone and stuff from cup of Soups, you can have tea/coffee diet cordial and Water as often in between,

i afterwards became lactose intolerant, but luckily only to milk, i asked and they said not suprising but nearly 2 months and milk makes me feel sick, and i live for coffee!!!!!

dont jump, cos i did about the 3rd or 4th week, and ate and got shocking pain, the band needs to sit in its little house,

after the month, slowly as in for about 2 weeks, eat like an old ducky, like stew through the blender or barmix, lamb stew is good, mush your vegies, then after about 2 weeks slowly intoduce soft food, like Cereal, initially add more milk, then slowly reduce to what you used to have, but so you still feel full. when you start to eat, about a palm or cupful.

it might be helpful to take a multivit, i take centum, it can break in half, so it is easily taken cos you wont be getting all the normal stuff.

also you can lose weight, up to 7-9kg in the 2 months, which im up to 5kg but its not the focus, just learning to relearn to eat that makes you full, comfortable, and if you have a lot of problems with vomiting let your doc know as so as, and dont jump ahead to decrease the chance of the band sliping upwards, you may also find that you cant tolerate the same foods, what else...

so after that major essay, dont eat in the first 4 weeks, your doc might be different, but its the general jist. as per mr wilkinsons yellow booklet

i hope i have helped in some way?

are you looking forward to it?

nervous/scared? i was inly nervous when i was wigging on to the table!

personally i dont regret it, i wish id done it sooner, at least in 10-20kg it should help the pain in my knee!

any other questions or goss you need to know, just shout, always here to help

sus

Edited by skuzie

hi - I have been looking for others who have also gone through Dr Wilkinson.

I was banded on 3rd sept 09 and would love to talk more with others who are in the same boat - and on the same island!!!

So far so good - only one real day of sooking about having more bloody Soup - but that has passed!! I have tried a little bit of mash veg - but quickly found out that I was not quite ready - felt too full.

My only complaint so far would be about the god awful pain that was from the residual gas after surgery. That was worse than my incisions. Dr W really should warn you about that and perhaps come up with a few suggestions as to how to ease the discomfort (i resorted to de-gas pills which took the edge off a little).

Hope to talk with you all a little more.

sally

Hey there I am Emma from Tas , being banded by Dr

Tony Patiniotis on the 9th of October ......I am very excited and scared at the same time lol.....Cant wait to begin this new chapter in my life !!!!!!!

:biggrin:

Good luck Emma with your op - I hope it all goes well and you recover quickly. Looking forward to hearing how you go. I was banded on the 3rd sept - so it is still early days for me.

hey,

thaat pain, farting? the only way to clear it, i asked hime about it in my 1 week follow up and he said just the gas, thinking, wonderful!!! trust me, even 2 months on, you still get the occassional stomach ache, and need either to go to the loo or have a massive fart!! but hard to tell.

i hope your recovering well, yep dont jump!!! what are you drinking? found anything nice you like? i lived on up and go, despite the more cal's but more filling, especially when your starting to feel hungry.

on friday i get my first fill, and am happy about it, cos im stuck at 116kg, cant break it!!!! yes, i have or am more insane than before! i think it will help cos im eating to big amounts and am very hungry inbetween and dont want to have to keep reling on cordial and coffee with extra sugar!!!

but only a couple more days,

hope everyone is well

and let us tassie peoples stick together!!! and continue to be here for each other

take care

sus