Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery the end of Dec. YIKES & spouse support

Hello,

Well I have pretty much made up my mind about whether or not to do the GB or lapband. I want the band. I think I can work it and my ONLY concerns are the usual slippage, port problems, needle pain and also if I will still be hungry.

Does anyone know what happens to those hormones in your stomach after lapband? I know with GB they are literally gone so you are not hungry at all. I just worry about feeling hungry since I am mostly :cool: a healthy eater but a LARGE eater.

The other thing I wanted to ask is does anyone have a somewhat nonsupportive spouse? (probably a good thing I am opting for the band too)

He "doesnt want it to effect him or his meals or eating habits". No he's not really overweight. He just lost some with not problem like he always does by just cutting out everything....but he will put it back on though. Although he's never huge.

I guess I am just pissy that he cant be happy and supportive for me, just for me.

I have read a few people on here mentioning their spouses and how great they are but I didnt find a thread with hubbys who are not that supportive.

Anyone? I know you're out there.

Sorry my husband is darn glad I'm doing this for my health! BUT I can tell you a few things; until you get restriction you'll struggle but once you are adequately restricted (the fabled "sweet spot") you SHOULD be able to eat just about anything, but will be satisfied (not full, just satisfied) with WAY WAY less, and will lose weight. As long as what you're filling up on isn't things that are SUPER high in calories....and it doesn't sound like you do that. Which means if you fix Mr. "Don't mess with my food" your favorites, you should be able to eat them too. You just won't be a "large" eater any more.

The action of the pouch at the top of the stomach triggers the hormonal signals of full. That's how it works. Rather than stuffing your stomach to the top to get those hormonal triggers firing, the pouch triggers that sensation on the cup (4 oz by weight) or so of food we eat. So...4 oz of steak will fill you up rather than steak, baked potato w/everything, side of mushrooms, etc. You get my drift. That's one reason we aren't to drink before, during, and for a time after meals....the food MUST stay in that pouch for a while to trigger "FULL" in the body. Then as it goes on through we keep that feeling, hopefully for up to about 6 hours, before "hungry" rears it's head again.

Large volume (as opposed to snackers or grazers) eaters are, per my doc, the most successful on the band. Good for you, huh? :cool:

Thanks for that info. It makes me feel like I can be successful even given my circumstances.

:)

So you were banded in August? I could have done it then but was scared and backed out.

How is it going for you?

Poodles

OMG, I have the problem with the support from my husband and that is only because he do not like surgeries. He don't even like needles. He think I can do it on my own, but his a** aint fat at all and dno't understand what I am going throuhg being this heavy.:rolleyes2: H think that I can do on my own and that is so false cause if I could I would be the size I want to be. I posted a thread about my non-supportive husband and ideas I could use about having the LB. LOL

mine isn't supportive at all. Ins requires that I stay in the hospital 24 hours and he is taking care of the kids (taking the day off) and my best friend is flying in to take care of me. Really pisses me off.

Mine said something similar..when I told him my surgery date and time he said " you mean I have to pick you up AND pick up the kids from school???? " Good lord...I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything near as assinine when he had his hernia's repaired :) Some times they just don't get it.

Not that its a good thing at all but I'm glad I'm not alone. Not having his support was exactly the determining factor in chosing the lap band. "who's gonna cook, clean, care for children, while you're in the hospital". Oh man!

It's ok though. I plan to have everything ready for myself and them ahead of time. I am trying to plan out dinners in advance that I can cook ahead. (he's also a picky eater who wont eat just Soup and a sandwich for dinner)

Well, any ladies that said they have a NSH lol....we can support each other here right? Feel free to email me anytime! poodles.me@gmail.com

Hey guys!

I'm new to all of this.. I have jumped through all the hoops that my insurance company has requested...Now i am waiting on one doctor to send a letter to the surgeon so that they can submit everything to insurance. I can say that my husband has been very supportive throughout the whole process. He and I discussed this procedure for a very long time before we made the final decission. I just hope his support stays this strong after the surgery!!

poodles.me: I have a picky eater too! I will make a few days worth of dinner and Breakfast for my husband to heat up for my daughter and at least 2 lunches. (at least it doesn't need to be fresh.) He has no tolerance for the pickiness and they end up fighting.

Yeah, whats with the being picky huh? I mean if ANYONE made me a sandwich I'd fall over! But I suppose this is a topic all of its own....:cool2:

Do you want to share what you've made up ahead of time to freeze? I'd love some ideas. Oh, and no Pasta, bread or pizza....or veggies for the most part either. Unless their mashed potatoes - easy huh? :smile2:

All I can say, after reading this thread is that I really enjoy being single (divorcee 10-years). I can really focus on myself/health without having to worry about how a significant other is impacted by my actions.

I know a supporting spouse will be helpful, my wife says it was for her, and now she is about to return the favor for me.