Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 17 th Sept and have lost 32lbs. Doing really well with food but have this annoying feeling of too much saliva and constantly having to swallow. Any suggestions. :cool:

OMG.. I have the same problem!! I just got a fill a week ago.. and now I have too much saliva building up for no reason in my mounth! My mouth is producing it!!! I've been searching this site for some answers, and havent found it!!!! Please someone help us!!! LOL

City: my town has a population of 175. And I live OUTSIDE the city limits!

State: Texas.....the best state

"Sliming" refers to the excess saliva produced by your body as a natural defense mechanism when you get something "stuck" in your band. Sliming usually means that one had eaten too fast, not chewed well enough, or eaten a band- unfriendly food (although this differs from person to person....some people can tolerate foods that others cannot. Usually the worst offenders are the "doughy" foods or some super fiberous foods like celery, pineapple, asparagus, etc).

Having a Lap Band doesn't mean that you'll be doomed to a life of always sliming. You just have to be careful and eat the right types of foods.

Dr. Hekier - banded Feb 22nd 2008

6'4" / highest wt - 378 / target wt - 250ish

MySpace.com - Trey Swint - 38 - Male - DOUGLASSVILLE, Texas - www.myspace.com/treyswint

06-06-2008, 10:23 AM #3

lucymae

State: California

Thank you Plain. I was thinking that maybe I should not get a fill if I did that but I bet it is because I take too big of a bite. I go in for a fill on Tuesday and I really want to get more restriction because I don't even know that I have the band, except for the times I take too big of a bite and start the sliming thing. It usually happens when I am eating something that I don't use silverware. I think cutting things up with silverware is probably a good thing since I cut it much smaller than I would tend to bite it.

Surgery Date: February 2008

start/current/goal

248/ 189 / 170

Yeah, it is sliming alright.

• I have slimed if I swallow a pill and it is too big or doesn't pass through the band just right.
  • If I eat a food that just can not be chewed well enough. I slimed on apricots once and that was reeaaallllly bad!
  • And I slimed a ton when I was filled too tight.

The food is getting stuck trying to pass through the band from your stoma to your lower stomach and your body is producing the saliva to try and flush it out. You should try and evaluate why it is happening. If you are taking small bites and chewing your food extremely well then try to look at what you are eating, does it happen with certain types of food? Are you drinking with your meals or too soon after?

If it happens all the time and can't be attributed to what or how you are eating then maybe it is because you are a little too tight.

I know what sliming is, and what I'm experiencing is not sliming... It's just excessive saliva production. I dont have to eat anything... and it comes on...The faster I swallow it.. the faster it produces.. This really sounds gross!! haha... :cursing:

I had the surgery over 2 years ago and have lost over 100 lbs and still slowly loosing. Recently I have been experienceing excessive saliva when trying to sleep at night. My mouth produces so much saliva that it wakes me up and I can't sleep. I have to wear grinder guards and have even tried taking them out to stop the saliva. Any suggestions?

Edited by MaryT1950
correct grammer