Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS = Comorbidity?

The insulin resistance associated with PCOS was used as a comorbitity with my insurance company.

I had to attend a mandatory seminar with my surgeon prior to banding and PCOS was absolutely listed as one of the comorbidities. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on this one. I have asked four different surgeons, and I have pretty much gotten four different answers. I have heard no - not at all; yes, absolutely; and two sort of in between.

You'll hear people speak of the "big co-morbids." I think most insurance companies require a big one (or at least one)...and I think the smaller co-morbids (PCOS, joint pain, GERD) can really support your case. But I'm not quite sure PCOS will stand on its own.

I have hypertension and I'm hoping to use PCOS as another reason to approve me.

On a side note, it absolutely should be considered a co-morbid - causes high blood pressure, increases risk of diabetes, causes weight gain AND losing weight is the best way to manage it = seems like a no brainer to me.

If you're medicated for the high cholesterol, you should be all set. Medication is key, though.

Are you in the 35-39 BMI range? If not, you technically don't need co-morbids, although everything helps towards building your case.

I am not medicated for high cholesterol, but have tried dieting with the nutritionist because of the cholesterol issue. I am approximately 38-39 BMI.

I listed it as a comorbidity and my pcp agreed (after I educated him)

here were my reasons:

1) a significant number of PCOS people will develop type 2 diabetes

2) I had serious unceasing ovary pain caused by my cystic ovaries that really lowered my quality of life

3) I had to take diabetes drugs (Avandia before it got pulled off the market and Metformin) just to keep things under control (drugs weren't cheap)

4) PCOS increases your likelihood of unfertility and miscarriage (both of which are expensive to treat)

Granted, not all of these reasons are related to morbidity, per se-- I wanted to give the insurance company a picture of the costs of paying for my band versus paying for all these PCOS issues.

by the way... I also had hypertension which DID NOT change with my band weight loss or exercise.

My doctor explained that some things are more a function of heredity than lifestyle, and with two hypertensive parents of African American descent, I would probably be hypertensive no matter what I did.

PCOS was listed as a co-morbidity at the seminar I attended and through the individual surgeon. It was listed on mine. In addition, he listed the specific characteristics of PCOS as co-morbidities to the insurance company. I was approved in less than one working day.

My surgeon listed,

High blood pressure

High cholesteral

Diabetes

Irregular/painful menstrual periods

Joint pain

Anxiety

Depression

Lethargy

Hypothyroidism/goiter

Heart palpitations

Edited by Lunabeane