Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tough 2nd day after surgery

My hubby was banded on Tuesday. He did great until last night. He was up most of the night with the dry he vies. He said he was feeling nausea. The doctor ordered two different meds for him. he is doing better tonight. How many of you dealt with the gas build up like this. He also has been taking tums (except for the last day) for 8 days.

Hi Denee.Sorry to hear Hubby had a rough first night..It gets better.What's dry hevies? Gas? I had terrible gas pain after surgery. So bad, I stood in the middle of the recovery room and bust out crying. Walking really helps the gas pains. In additon to Gas X strips. I didn't have any nausea. My doc placed one of those Patches behind my ear. Tell Hubby to get up and walk to release some of that gas. Tell him it's going to get better! Take Care

Hi Denee,

I can say that I really felt like crap on the 2nd day. I was not prepared or expecting how crappy I felt. I think it took me a good week to feel like a human again. I had lots of gas and found that walking really helped.

I also had the dry heaves during the night following my surgery. It was horrible and all I could think of was I'm going to make my new band slip! The next morning I had gas pains so severe I thought I was having a heart attack. I had an EKG and cardiac blood work taken and I stayed an extra day in the hospital. In my case the Gas X strips did nothing. Walking did help, however.

Gax X strips and heating pad and moving is the best to get rid of the gas pains.

Hi Denee. Where did you husband have his surgery? I had surgery on Tuesday as well. Mine was in Decatur, Il.

I also suffered terrible dry heaves and nausea, because of gas paing and pain meds. I went home with an anti-nausea patch behind my ear and I have two more Patches just in case.

My gas pain was hurting so bad, and because I have a hard time tolerating pain meds, I ended staying an extra night a the hospital.

I came home from the hospital yesterday and I am feeling better. I have no gas pains. I have four incisions and the port incision is the most painful, but I am taking liquid Loritab for that. I am doing so much better the third day out from surgery.

Denee:

When I was banded I woke up with bad nausea and dry heaves. I was concerned that my band wouldn't tolerate the vomitting, but it did.

The pain medication can cause the nausea. Tell you husband that he may want to consider going to liquid tylenol to get rid of the nausea.

Best wishes. It was a little rough at first because of the nausea, but so worth it in the end.

Sue