Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Challenges

Is anyone else having issues with their pre-op stage? I'm not on the pre-op diet yet but for the last three weeks I have been eating anything and everything in sight. I feel like I need to eat it all now because once I have the surgery I won't be able to eat like this again. Which of course is what I want to happen but there is something about letting the "old" me go. Does that make sense? I can't seem to kick myself out of this phase. I was hoping it was only going to last a day or two and here I am almost a month later and doing the same thing.

I drive by McD's and feel like I need to stop now because in a month I won't be able to. I feel like I need to sit down with a whole bag of cheetos and eat as many as I can in one sitting. Ben and Jerry want me to visit them and enjoy their ice cream. It's been affecting my weight loss and my emotional eating.

Am I the only one struggling with this?

You are not alone. I too am starting to want to eat a lot. I am having a lot of anxiety about giving up food. I just found out last week that I am getting banded on the 19th and I am now trying to stick to the diet, but I am finding that it is hard because I can't help but think that this may be my last "steak" or my last "ice cream".

Actually this is very common. Most people talk about the "last meals". I know that I did this for several weeks too. Whole bag of Doritos with sour cream and salsa, lots of pizza, big bowls of sugar cereals, etc etc. I think almost everyone goes through this.

I had about 20 last meals just don't let it affect your preop diet and you will learn nothing is forbidden with the band you just need to come to terms with eating a bite or two and walking away. I'm only four weeks out and it's hard but I'm really learning it's just food and whatever is your craving will not disapear from the planet so it's ok to eat to bites, you will be able to have it again if that makes sense

I'm just glad I am not the only one that is struggling with this! I get banded on Dec 22nd. I know its going to be a drastic change so I am trying to make it a little less drastic by cutting out pop (havent had any for about a month) and my caffeine (switched to de-caf everything). I wanted to cut out fast food too, but honestly its been a joke. Everytime I eat something fast food I say ok this is it, no more. Then the next day here I go again. Its a vicious cycle!!! I need to start planning ahead more, I guess I just am not sure how....? (In nursing school full time and my schedule is crazy, leave home when its dark and come home after dark, away from home atleast 2 nights a week, surrounded by terrible choices)

I am really excited about this and I have never wanted anything more! I have prayed about this for 4 yrs and its all finally coming together. Just wish I could be succeeding more on cutting stuff out.

Now that I have spilled my guts... :rolleyes: ......Thanks for listening

Cali W, I am right there with you. I am so glad that I'm not alone - although I wish you all weren't dealing with this also. The guilt just eats me up inside. I know I want this surgery so much and I really want to change things but I'm just in this rut I can't pull myself out of. I keep telling myself that this is the last time I'm going to splurge on this "junk food" like this. Next thing I know I'm grabbing something else.

Do you think that we have this inner part of ourselves that is sabotaging what we're doing? Afraid to lose the old us? There is a small part of me that is afraid of losing who I am but there is a very large part of me that wants to lose that part of me. I'm sick of being the fat one. I'm tired of being tired and not having energy to go do things. I want to sit at a restaurant booth and not feel like my breasts are laying on the table. I want to fly without a seat belt extender. I want to jump on a bike and not have my large butt hanging over.

Even with reminding myself of all of this, I still grab for the wrong things. I've had a great 5 months - I've lost over 30 pounds so far. Why now am I sliding back into my old habits? I wish there was a weekly support group for lap banders close by that I could attend like a WW meeting. I always found that checking in at a meeting kept me on program and out of ruts like these.

Yep, a while back someone cleverly dubbed this "The Last Supper Syndrome"

I did the same thing for the final week before my pre-op diet. Every night I ate a favorite meal and a lot of it and I grazed on all my favorite foods and junk. It is normal but keep in mind that once you get through this you will be able to eat these foods again just not a lot at one time.

Auggies,

I am glad that I'm not the only one! I think you're right when you say that there is part of us afraid to let the "old" us go. I keep telling myself that i'm not going to "lose" who I am, just the unhealthy eating habits and the excess weight. I'm still going to be the same person just healthier :-)

After I read Pete's story and some other ones I got my motivation back. I started having a shake for Breakfast and am cutting out all fast food. Just praying for self-control. I CAN DO THIS!

Thanks for sharing! I really appreciate it! Good luck :(

Auggies,

I am glad that I'm not the only one! I think you're right when you say that there is part of us afraid to let the "old" us go. I keep telling myself that I'm not going to "lose" who I am, just the unhealthy eating habits and the excess weight. I'm still going to be the same person just healthier :-)

After I read Pete's story and some other ones I got my motivation back. I started having a shake for breakfast and am cutting out all fast food. Just praying for self-control. I CAN DO THIS!

Thanks for sharing! I really appreciate it! Good luck :thumbup:

Cali Hi ,I'm from Ks. too,not far from you.I think you have the right idea to have a Protein Shake for breakfast.in fact that is what i did,now I Have 2 shakes a day now and what ever i want for supper,and it works for me.I had to lose 30 lbs before my surgery to get my bmi under 50.still have 8lbs to go and i start my 2 week fast(ON Protein SHAKES)Now that I'm not looking forward to:sad: Jody 62lbs down in 6 months ,doing good,I only hope to do so good. Auggies ,my surgery is just before yours on the 8th.Good luck to us all Kerry

Auggies and all - I am glad this has come up. I was also beginning to think I was the only one. I mentioned this to the psychologist I am seeing for the surgery, and he said this is very common. He also said it is not a bad idea (of course, not carried to the extreme!) because many people have a period of mourning after surgery. He said it can be good to "say goodbye" to these foods we will not be eating in the future. Let's face it - we can still eat a hamburger later on - but it will never be what it has been in the past. It's what it was in the past that we think we will miss. and maybe we will for a while. I believe that will pass if we just have patience with outselves, just like Jodi says.

So I'm trying not to go too crazy, but to have a few "last meals" this week. One will probably be a milkshake. Funny - I have not had, nor have I missed, milkshakes in the last 5 years or so. But in the last few months (since I found out that will be THE BIG NO-NO - I am craving them. Go figure...

I have been feeling this way as well, want to eat all the foods that I wont be able to eat again or shouldnt eat again. I have a very nice mentor who has helped me thru alot of things such as this. And I have heard from another mentor of mine ( my space group) that you can eat alot of foods without any problem and not to go nuts and eat eat eat.. lol thanks I needed to hear your story as well..

Julie

Cali Hi ,I'm from Ks. too,not far from you.I think you have the right idea to have a Protein shake for Breakfast.in fact that is what i did,now I Have 2 shakes a day now and what ever i want for supper,and it works for me.I had to lose 30 lbs before my surgery to get my bmi under 50.still have 8lbs to go and i start my 2 week fast(ON Protein SHAKES)Now that I'm not looking forward to:sad: Jody 62lbs down in 6 months ,doing good,I only hope to do so good. Auggies ,my surgery is just before yours on the 8th.Good luck to us all Kerry

Thats awesome! Where are you getting your surgery? Right now I am working up to getting in 2 shakes a day. I did that a couple days this week and did pretty well. Just praying that I can stick to it!

You've done wonderful! Congrats on the weight you have lost so far! Good luck!!!:drool:

Thats awesome! Where are you getting your surgery? Right now I am working up to getting in 2 shakes a day. I did that a couple days this week and did pretty well. Just praying that I can stick to it!

You've done wonderful! Congrats on the weight you have lost so far! Good luck!!!:laugh:

I am having my surgery in Hays by Dr.Tsereteli that's about all he does is bariatric surgery so i hope he is good,anyway i like him.So tomorrow i start my 5 Protein Drinks a day at least,i just have to make sure i get in 65grams a Protein a day.I use EAS Advantedge Carb Control and it has 17 grams of protein in each shake so i should have no problem with the protein:thumbup:I Can also have broth and diet Jello, that's it for 2 weeks:cry_smile:And my surgery is set for December the 8th????Still on watch about my insurance,but i fit there guild lines for the surgerysoooooooo keep your fingers crossed.Any Way Cali how are the shakes going?:sneaky:well take care to all Kerry

I am having my surgery in Hays by Dr.Tsereteli that's about all he does is bariatric surgery so i hope he is good,anyway i like him.So tomorrow i start my 5 Protein drinks a day at least,i just have to make sure i get in 65grams a Protein a day.I use EAS Advantedge Carb Control and it has 17 grams of protein in each shake so i should have no problem with the protein:thumbup:I Can also have broth and diet Jello,that's it for 2 weeks:cry_smile:And my surgery is set for December the 8th????Still on watch about my insurance,but i fit there guild lines for the surgerysoooooooo keep your fingers crossed.Any Way Cali how are the shakes going?:sneaky:well take care to all Kerry

Wow! Two weeks is intense! The only "diet" my surgeon gave me is 72 hours of Clear liquids right before surgery. I have noticed there is a huge variance of pre op diets, I guess its surgeon preference.

My shakes are going... I do so much better during the week but when I hit the weekend its ugly :blush:

I hope everything comes through insurance for you! Good luck!