Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight can you lose?

Hello Bandsters--

I attended a support group at my surgeon's office this evening. The group consists of pre-op people (like me) and post-op folks, 99 percent of whom have had gastric bypass. There's a woman in the group who, when someone says they've chosen lap band responds by saying, "Why? You know you can only lose 50 percent of your weight with that surgery."

I have spent several months on this site, reviewed a number of other sites and read 2 books about lap band. I find no evidence that her statements are true. I know that you lose weight more quickly with a bypass, but I've read that at the five year mark, the loss is the same regardless of the type of surgery.

Any insights?

Beautylocs

You will find that there is the full range of experience represented here at LBT. Some people reach goal, some people never lose more than 10-15#....and most fall somewhere in the middle.

At my pre-op meeting, my surgeon said that "at the one year mark most of us will have lost 50-60% of the excess weight"...and for me he was absolutely right on. I, apparently, am quite average. The rest of it will take harder work and more discipline, but that doesn't mean it won't come off.

Bypass was never ever a consideration for me, even if I had been 100# overweight, just because I don't like the malnutrition rate and the permanency of it.

Thanks Terri and Jacqui--

I have noticed your photos, Jacqui, and it is really amazing. I have no expectations of being able to wear a bikini, but your success is certainly inspiring.

Your comment, Terri, helped to refocus me on why I chose the band and the fact that my reasons are my own and I'm very excited about my choice.

Thanks to both of you!

Bridgett

Bridgett, I went through a phase of thinking I should do bypass because you lose so much weight so quickly - but really, you just lose more weight the first year. The part of the stomach they cut out in a bypass is the part that produces certain hunger hormones (ghrelin, etc.). So with those hormones out of the way, the bypass patients have very little hunger that first year.

After the first year, however, the body figures out the hormones are missing, and finds other ways to make you hungry (just like in Jurassic Park, where the female dinosaurs' bodies figured out a way to reproduce with no male dinosaurs on the island). So hunger returns for these patients, and there is a period where they actually regain 20-30%. So that amazing weight loss doesn't stick.

Meanwhile, the lap band patients are still losing at one year out. So by the time the lap band patients finish losing and the bypass patients finish their slight regaining, by 5 years after surgery they reach essentially the same amount of weight loss. So in the long run, there's no difference in weight loss - but the lap band patients have had far fewer complications, and a much lower mortality rate.

By the way, the new Lap Band "APS" has loss rates in the first year similar to the bypass, so now it's possible to lose faster than before with the band. By one year out, the Lap Band APS patients had lost 62% of their excess weight and were still losing at the conclusion of the study, so they will ultimately lose even more. This is the band I'm getting.

By the way, may I suggest you look into other surgeons? It sounds like your surgeon specializes in gastric bypass. If so, I would try to find someone in your area who specializes in lap band. If you're anywhere within a two hour drive of Manhattan, I recommend Drs. Ren and Fielding at NYU.

Good luck!

P.S. The Lap Band is the surgery all the doctors in Manhattan are rushing to have done on themselves. What does that tell you?

Edited by dietpeach

Hi DietPeach--

I read Kahalia Ali's book about her experience with Drs. Ren and Fielding. They seem to be true pioneers. My surgeon has done about 500 lap bands compared with thousands of bypasses. I was comfortable with his references and experience and didn't think about seeking someone who specialized in lap band. Hmmm. I'll definitely consider that. Unfortunately, I'm not especially close to NYC (I live in Detroit) and do know that I'm not comfortable being too far away from my doctors and source for fills.

I'm not familiar with the APS band and would be interested to know the difference between that and the other bands on the market. I'll look it up. I'm scheduled to get the Realize Band.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate having someone confirm my understanding of the weight loss potential with the band.

Take Care!

BeautyLocs,

With 500 Lap Bands under his belt and good references, it sounds like your doctor is fine. I just became concerned when you mentioned only seeing bypass patients at the support groups, so I got concerned that he mostly does just bypasses.

Good luck and I hope you will be a success!

I have now lost over 70% of my excess weight, and I'm only 3 and a half months out of surgery. I think 60% of your excess weight is the average, but losing more than that is definitely something that can be done, but I suspect you will have to exercise and watch what you eat to get there.

I don't count calories, I don't restrict carbs (though I can't stomache a lot of carbs now) and I exercise 3-4 times a week (up to a full sweat, not just gentle walking) and I'm still losing. So yes I don't think lapband surgery means you will ONLY lose 60% of your excess weight, it means that it's currently what most patients lose on average.

Good luck, I think you're making a great decision. The only regret I have is that I didn't do this sooner.