Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for the experienced!

Since my big day is a week away, I have some "wondering" questions. What do I need to get ready for when I return home from the surgery center? I want to be prepared, so my husband isn't out running around to meet my needs...he has already been doing almost everything while my mom was in the hospital for 5 months, and since her death, he has had even more to do. Any help with your advice so I can be ready is appreciated. I have seen a thread about this somewhere and got some good ideas from that...liquid Gaviscon, liquid Tylenol (is there only children's?), etc.

Thanks a bunch, Cindy

Stock up on liquids, you will really go through them. Ideas: Gatorade, juice, variety of broths, some Soups, Protein drinks, milk (if you need to mix Protein shakes), sugar free popsicles (these were HUGE for me...for many days they were about all I could eat), Jello, Ensure or Boost drinks.< /p>

liquid Tylenol (for adults). I had trouble finding this stuff but did finally find it.

Heating pad

books, magazines, DVD's to keep you entertained while recovering

Other things that helped me.....I got a box of straws....they forced me to sip drinks and not gulp them. The straws helped a TON when I was so swollen. My sis also got me one of those straw cup deals that toddlers use and it was awesome because I could sip some juice then snap down the lid. Kinda funny an adult using a straw cup but it worked great.

I found mine at the grocery store but it was labeled as Tylenol Sore Throat. It's basically Adult Strength liquid tylenol. Check the active ingredients to be sure, but that's what I got. It also may be a seasonal thing?

Make sure you have a pretty good stash of pillows around. I really needed to pillow up for sleeping, and even slept on the recliner with the heating pad on my upper back, that helped. The extra pillows were most helpful in the bed, though.

All the liquid foods listed above are great...you'll be well-prepared!!

Thanks to everyone...I continue to take advice. I"ll look at Walgreens for theTylenol Sore Throat...I bought some children's, just thought I'd multiply the dose a little, but that's a big pain in the you know what.

Thanks everyone!

I would pass on the straws! Dr. Ortiz advises never to use straws again once you are banded. You are taking in so much extra air with each sip and this will increase your gas or swell your pouch. You will have enough gas as it is.

I would have the blender out. It has really saved me as I create icees with all my drinks. Also needed to blend my Soup before straining.

Banded 7/5/05

Dr. Ortiz

Down 19 pounds and walking, walking, walking!

I vote yes for staws. Some people do better without them. Then there is my mother who never learned how to use a staw...

I lived on Soup, v8 juice and these drinks we have here called Nudies, which are a really delicious fresh fruit juice blend.

Heinz makes a really tasty range of pureed Soups that were my saviour post banding - especially after I went back to work, as they come in a convenient lil microwavable cup.

Another thing I used alot post banding was strappy tops with shelf bras built in. It was quite uncomfortable trying to wear a real bra for about 3 weeks.

Oh, meant to add - one other thing I did pre op was to make up meals that could be frozen, for the family. I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking afterwards and didn't want my husband to be stuck doing it. Then I'd just thaw out in the morning and reheat for them at night.

I would pass on the straws! Dr. Ortiz advises never to use straws again once you are banded. You are taking in so much extra air with each sip and this will increase your gas or swell your pouch. You will have enough gas as it is.

I actually find I take in more air without a straw and using the straw helps a TON. It also makes me sip and not gulp. Like Vinesqueen said, I guess each person has to figure that one out for themselves.

Soup is a great idea.. like broth.. but after a week i got so sick of broth, so I bought a nice soup or stew in a can.. boiled it on the stove then strained it.. I drank the juice part while hubby ate the chunky part.. it really helped and i thought I was getting more then with the broth.

Oh, meant to add - one other thing I did pre op was to make up meals that could be frozen, for the family. I knew I wouldn't feel like cooking afterwards and didn't want my husband to be stuck doing it. Then I'd just thaw out in the morning and reheat for them at night.

I was thinking of doing this for my family when I have my surgery. Could you tell me what kind of meals you made and froze?

someone told me not to too HOT liquids after only luke warm. Someting about the hot in not good for the stomach & the band while healing. I had no idea if this was true or not but after that suggeation I only had luke warm liquids or cold. Good luck looks like great ideas so far.

I wore a smocky thing for about a week or two after & it made life easier. I also slepp down stairs for about 2 weeks & stayed mainly on the couch or side bed. Its tough to get in & out of bed. A good boulster pillow w/sides should help.