Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to give you all a little hope!

So I just found out today that after my FIRST try I have been APPROVED by Cigna to cover my surgery! I am grinning ear to ear! As soon as I heard the words "approved" I immediately broke down in tears because I never thought I would ever see this day! This has been a long, stressful, and tiring process but today all of that hard work was totally worth it! I am lucky enought to only pay a total of $800 out of pocket including my co pays and what I owe after their payment! I am so blessed!!

I had been a little discouraged by reading others who were denied and I know that some of you may be feeling the same way that I was. I just knew they were not going to approve me. Number one because Cigna "likes to see us lose 10% of our original weight, and after me doing that my BMI went down from 42 to 37 and I was told that I would not be approved at my psychiatric evaluation. Number two I had loast 120lbs in 2005 and all of my previous weights from 2003-2004 had been shredded by my doc office and I had no way to show my 24 mo's of a 40 BMI! If I could give you any advice to would be: DO NOT LISTEN to those who are discouraging to you. The psychiatrist brought me down so much because I had been working so hard to make this happen and he had no sympathy for me and told me that I needed to gain 13lbs by my last doc appt which was in 2 days or i would be stuck the way I am for the rest of my life! What a jerk! I didnt listen to him and just stayed with my plan, to give it all I had and to hope for the best. Ultimately if it is meant to happen than it will! Somehow I lucked up and they did not require me to send them 24mos of documentation with a 40 BMI. Maybe they are changing their standards?

Here is what I did to get approved. 1)Before you start the process look into your policy and do eveything that you can to not give them a reason to deny your request! Follow exactly by their guidelines. 2) Go to your doctor monitored diet appointments and weight watchers meetings as well. This is what I did to show them that I was serious about my weight problem. 2) Join a gym, get a personal trainer, or try to find a free gym at a church and have all of your visits documented by someone in charge. I was lucky enough to get a personal trainer to work with. If you go over and above of what they require of you they shouldnt have any reason to say no! :thumbup:

I just want to wish everyone the best and to give you a little hope. Even if you "know" there is no way they will approve you...try because you never know what will happen! I was so sure that I was going to be denied and have to struggle with my ups and downs of weigtloss for the rest of my life. I know LAP Band will not be easy, but it is the tool that I need to finally take control of my life and finally start living again. God has a special plan for each of us, and its better than we could ever create for ourselves! Dont ever give up!!!

:D

Your story was just what I needed today, thanks! I'm so happy for you!!! I'm going to another seminar tomorrow and am afraid they'll also tell me that I'm not going to get approved...I'm plugging away...I think I can, I think I can...

I am so happy for you:thumbup: I am hoping for the Ins Gods to approve me, I have a bmi of 36.7 and I have high bp on med for edema,hyperlipdemia, Gerd.I have done my 6th month diet visits but I did not lose any weight I gained about 5lbs with in the last 6 months I quit smoking and i went to food instead of wanting a smoke. What do you think my chances are of getting approved? I also have Cigna Open access plan

To be honest you never can tell if they are going to approve you or not. There are some people who I would have thought would have definetely been approved but weren't, as well as those who I didn't think had a chance of getting an approval but did. I think that the fact that you have co-morbidies is going to be key for you in your case. I don't think that Cigna requires you to lose 10 percent of your weight, i think they just "like to see" you lose 10 percent because that means you will be healthier and have a easy surgery when you have your surgery. I will be thinking about you and praying for you because I know how nerve racking it is. They will take every day they have to make a decision (30 days) so just try and stay busy to make the time pass by faster!

Good luck, and dont be discouraged! :)