Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Making bad decisions

Ugh. I've been feeling physically yuck lately, whether from allergies, the weather, stress or hormonal stuff I don't know. But I guess that doesn't really matter. The fact is I've been comfort-eating and it's backfiring in more ways than one. I'm just writing this down because I know it helps to do so.

Problem: I'm eating because I'm bored at work. Summer is a slow time and the phones aren't ringing. I'm constitutionally unable to do only one thing at a time, so when things are this quiet I munch while working to stay occupied. But a small handful of mixed nuts has like 250 calories, so what the hell am I thinking?

Solution: DRINK instead of eating. I don't know why I don't do this, since I always have a bottle of Water right to hand. I will try to do this today. Also, try to find more ways to be productive during quiet times at work.

Problem: I'm dizzy and foggy from allergies. In an attempt to clear my head I am drinking too much caffeine. Result: I'm getting even less Fluid than I should be, since caffeinated beverages are a net loss to Fluid intake. It also affects my mood and coping ability.

Solution: Find the right allergy medication. Realize that it's worth the money.

Problem: Feeling lousy, physically, and eating for comfort. Vicious cycle because eating my particular comfort food (ice cream in the evening) tends to increase the chance of reflux overnight, which compromises my sleep, which makes me feel lousier the next day.

Solution: Think about the fact that eating for comfort doesn't work. Really concentrate on the things that will allow me to sleep well. Don't eat in the evening. Don't stress out about the kids' bedtime habits. GET MORE EXERCISE.

Sigh. All I want is to feel better. I know that my hormones are wreaking havoc on me, so this may all pass tomorrow. But my behavior can definitely improve, so I'm putting this out there to hold myself accountable. Every day is a new day, a new chance to treat myself well, so I'm going to try to start today. :)

You seem to have pinpointed the problems and layed out the solutions-that's a perfect way to deal with things. ( according to a management class I just took)Have you tried Zyrtec for allergies, I took it last year, at night, It helped me sleep and it kept all the symptoms away for the entire day. My kids love the

propel Water, it has a splash of taste and only a few calories.

You will get though this, look how far you have come you almost have to expect a few bumps in the road.

I love your honesty and accountability

By puttingthis out on the table for all of us to read, it will not only help you but help others Iam sure :)

Hang in there Alex, hormones can make us crazy, it will pass

Alexandra,

some decongestants can give you a couple of good side affects. Like energy, loss of appetite PLUS aid in sinus congestion. When I take Alegra D - this happens to me. Its a good thing :) although the last time I took it was in November.

This may be the kick that you need to start feeling better.

And the hormone stuff...

I havent done alot of reasearch about it, but this weightloss has sent mine into orbit (hmm, weightloss or age?). I even asked my obgyn about birthcontrol pills to help get them back on track, phew! But Im right there with you on that one.

And what about some fun computer game to help those dull days at work? When Im feeling stuffy from sinus, I cant concentrate on a book - but I could probably focus on rollercoaster tycoon.... hey! tis better then munching!

Alegra works like a champ for me! (gotta break them in half though) If you have a real alergy problems, have you considered alergy shots?

I hate slow days at work! I had to runs some queries on my system that absolutely killed my computer for days on end. Sure, I ended up with some interesting data, but oh man! I spent most of that time sketching, because I couldn't do anything else.

Yup, you know what to do, and that is the first step.

((((hugs))))

OH Alex, Hang in there,this too shall pass. I get a allergy shot (Kenalog) every year. Can't live without it! Ok Maybe I could, But I don't want to!!!

Hang in there!!

((((((BIG HUG)))))

The allergy thing is something that comes and goes. When I first moved out to the "country" I was allergic to everything in the air, and went for the whole series of shots. It really seemed to work well, and though I stopped completely when my second child was born I've gotten through most changes of seasons with no symptoms or treatment. Some years I need help, but it's not a constant thing.

But my DH is allergic to lots of things, and his doctor says allergies can be responsible for all sorts of symptoms you wouldn't blame on them. Recently, before I spent a few days in a house with a dog, I started taking Clarinex (we had some free samples lying around). The whole dog-weekend I was totally symptom free, and a few days after we got back I stopped taking them (the samples ran out). Now it's a few days after that, and I was describing my punky feeling to DH and he suggested it was allergies simmering. I don't have any of the usual symptoms; it's more just sleepiness and a general brain fog/low grade headache.

This is a long, drawn-out way of saying that I really don't WANT to take allergy medication if I don't need it. Maybe the way I feel is something else; maybe it's the Clarinex working its way out of my system. (BTW, Seppi, I did take Zyrtec last year for an allergy-related sinus infection and it worked wonderfully!)

Terri, do you get just one shot every year? How does that work? Wow, it'd be great to wean my DH off of some of the pharmacy he's taking. :)

So work was less boring today, and I ate less. Then I went to the gym and since I didn't have to pick anyone up afterwards, I did 52 minutes on the treadmill! A total of 3.5 miles. Whew! Took a shower, had meatballs and Pasta for dinner, followed by four oatmeal/raisin Cookies with milk. By the time bedtime rolls around, my pouch should be nice and empty.

Made fewer bad decisions today, so I'm a happy camper. Next week I have an appointment with my old OB/GYN, whom I haven't seen in 4 years. Wow, is she in for a surprise! :)

Made fewer bad decisions today....

Which is awesome, Alex!

You might want to talk to your OB-GYN about perimenopause symptoms and what you can do. I think you're a little younger than I am (43), but I was surprised to find out that symptoms can begin as early as 10 years before menopause. She prescribed a low-dose birth control pill, which helped me.

Here's to making fewer bad decisions tomorrow!

Elizabeth

Alexandra,

And the hormone stuff...

I havent done alot of reasearch about it, but this weightloss has sent mine into orbit (hmm, weightloss or age?). I even asked my obgyn about birthcontrol pills to help get them back on track, phew! But Im right there with you on that

yEAH, Me too. I started having really intolerable hot flashes and night sweats about 6 mos ago & went to a Doc who specializes in women & hormones. Oh man, I never had so much bloodwork done in my life! The upshot is she put me on a natural estrogen/progesterone program (along w/ a vite regimen including Indole-3 to protect from breast cancer). I haven't had a hot flash since but she told me it's very possible I might start having them again as I lose more weight. Evidently FAT contains Estrogen so the loss of fat can contribute to a temporary reduction of estrogen levels.

I didn't know that before. Interesting, uh?

Nothing helps my bad/boring moods like EXERCISE--except, well...as I recall sex is a real uplifter, but unfortunately that's just a distant memory for me. frown.gif

Something for motivation...

wink.gif

Alex, Yes I only get one shot a year. I am not sure how it works either but IT DOES FOR ME!! I hate taking pills if I can avoid it so this is the way to go for me.

I am definitely going to be discussing life-stage issues with my GYN next week, yes indeedy. If there's anything non-medicinal I can do to minimize the negative effects of this transition I want to know about it. The last thing I want to do is go on a medication, and I know there are things I can try first.

Nuts for Breakfast today. Literally. :) Ah, well, the day has just begun. My next good decision will be to finish my bottle of Water before lunch. And no more coffee! :)

Thanks for starting this thread. I have made more bad decisions than good for the last 2 weeks so as soon as I get home I plan to regroup. The one thing I have done is to have 2 shakes a day - and do I have great nails..

No more drinking with meals, no more eating after I am full, no more skipping my walk after meals, no more drinking wine...

I am so scared to weigh in when I get home. I know that I haven't lost anything - even inches - but I sure hope I haven't gained. But I have had an awesome experience understanding life post-conflict, seeing the destruction of war, the anger and hopelessness of the people, etc.

Oh yeah, and I am bored today also. They came and got my passport, bags, tickets, etc. The embassy handles that for us here since there have been alot of airport visa problems and baggage issues. I can't really help work on project for the next 3 hours so I'm just wanting to eat my leftover food. And I can't leave the apartment because I had to turn in my embassy ID to get back my passport so when I leave the apartment I can't return. Thank the Lord for the internet.

Alex- You are such a smart gal!! Really I love your logic & reasoning. I say you add to your list one great professional body massage every week for 1 month!

You will be blown away & how much better you'll feel. You can even call around to local schools & the students in training are usually 2xs cheaper than going to a spa. Yes its a splurge but sometimes it can even be covered by your insurance. As to allergies - yes it can even help with those too.

I wish you well !